Why become a member? ×

Three Finger Technique

wishface

over the last month or so i've been practicing incorporating my third (ring?) finger as a plucking finger on my right hand. This is not easy for two reasons: firstly it's obviously unfamiliar and untrained. That can be corrected through practice. But secondly I have started wondering if the mechanics of that finger are suited to picking. For pedalling notes it's easy enough, but when dealing with more complex mechanics such as string crossing I'm starting to doubt the value. Can the third finger ever be as strong as the other fingers in all situations? If i play a string crossing line moving between third and second finger, the third finger doesn't feel like it's up to the job due to the way the hand is built. Can this be overcome with practice or am I wasting my time?

It's a technique that takes time and patience to master.

The index and middle finger are easy to use as they fall naturally on the strings (the middle finger, being slightly longer, reaches the next string nicely).

I find that tilting my hand slightly when using my third finger make it easier to reach the string.

I'd say stick with it, practice and the fingers' strength will build up over time.....
When most players start on bass, on the left hand it can be difficult to use the 3rd & 4th fingers
But persistence pays off here

I use the 3rd finger of my right hand
- not all the time, I just tend to use it on a whim,
or on basslines which are very quick
It definitely comes in handy (pardon pun!)

Like icastle, I think I tilt my hand slightly, to make it easier to reach the strings....

Developing your sound and technique is never a waste of time. It's part of improving as a bass player. It might be useful to ask yourself why you want to use 3 fingers? What does adding the 3rd finger on your right hand help you to do that 2 fingers doesn't?

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1419257008' post='2638055']
What does adding the 3rd finger on your right hand help you to do that 2 fingers doesn't?
[/quote]

Another finger? :D

Seriously though, I do find it useful to have a third finger 'in play' when playing anything that involves a complex and fast run of notes.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1419257008' post='2638055']
Developing your sound and technique is never a waste of time. It's part of improving as a bass player. It might be useful to ask yourself why you want to use 3 fingers? What does adding the 3rd finger on your right hand help you to do that 2 fingers doesn't?
[/quote]to play faster stuff easier, simply speaking.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1419256272' post='2638034']
I'd say stick with it, practice and the fingers' strength will build up over time.....
When most players start on bass, on the left hand it can be difficult to use the 3rd & 4th fingers
But persistence pays off here

I use the 3rd finger of my right hand
- not all the time, I just tend to use it on a whim,
or on basslines which are very quick
It definitely comes in handy (pardon pun!)

Like icastle, I think I tilt my hand slightly, to make it easier to reach the strings....
[/quote]The purpose for me is to use 3 fingers all the time, not just for certain situations.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419266559' post='2638160']
I can't envisage playing a song where I need to pluck the strings any faster than I do with 2 fingers.

I'm noticing that these days I'm playing more numbers with 1 finger.
[/quote]For one example, the end of Iron Man by Sabbath (I think geezer plays that fast strummed part with a pick).

I can't envisage playing a song where I need to pluck the strings any faster than I do with 2 fingers.

[/quote]

I can definitely play triplets faster and cleaner with 3 fingers rather than 2.

[/quote]

Quite..and the reason for one finger is the consistancy of the stroke/pluck, IMO
so 8ths are solid and really work soundwise.
Introducing a 3rd compounds the inconsistancy IMO and is only really useful
for a few things so you wonder why so much effort to practice something
of limted use for mainstream basslines. A bit like people practising slap 50%
of the time when it features in so little in so few songs...??

I always had the other problem, trying to stop the third finger joining in. It seems natural to use 3 fingers, and very unnatural to only use two, I was trying to do some Iron Maiden and was being constantly told I should only use two, even though I didn't see why it would be easier to do a triplet with two fingers, but spent some time trying.

I also if I am doing alternate strings (such as E and D - like alternating octaves) I would use my 1st and 3rd fingers, as that seems more natural.

But I think it really is what you are used to doing - if you start out on guitar (I used to do folk guitar stuff as a kid), you tend to use all the fingers.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419615396' post='2641318']
Quite..and the reason for one finger is the consistancy of the stroke/pluck, IMO
so 8ths are solid and really work soundwise.
[/quote]

True, but you can get that consistency if you practice.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419615396' post='2641318']
Introducing a 3rd compounds the inconsistancy IMO and is only really useful
for a few things so you wonder why so much effort to practice something
of limted use for mainstream basslines.
[/quote]

I don't always work in mainstream music and anyway, I don't have a telly. :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1419707022' post='2642127']
I would say if you naturally use 2 fingers, I am not sure what using 3 will give you.
[/quote]
A greater facility in crossing from any string to any other string, it gives you options. Having said that, whilst I started out with two-finger walking on bass, I'm now pretty much just using the index finger. It won't stay that way, but it's good enough at the moment. I think I should spend some time with just the middle, then just the ring, then back to guitar alternations.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1419707022' post='2642127']
I would say if you naturally use 2 fingers, I am not sure what using 3 will give you.
[/quote]
If you can use 3 fingers, it doesn't stop you being able to use 2 fingers. Difference is, you are not limited to 2 fingers.

[quote name='Michael J' timestamp='1419709454' post='2642147']
A greater facility in crossing from any string to any other string, it gives you options. Having said that, whilst I started out with two-finger walking on bass, I'm now pretty much just using the index finger. It won't stay that way, but it's good enough at the moment. I think I should spend some time with just the middle, then just the ring, then back to guitar alternations.
[/quote]I haven't noticed a greater facility in string crossing. In fact that's why I rbought this up. Perhaps it takes a lot of time to develop, but i find crossing strings between the 3rd and 2nd finger (if you assume playing strict 3rd 2nmd and 1st finger alternation when picking) a lot harder due to the 'mechanics' of the fingers. Is this something I want to spend a lot of time mastering is the problem? I can already cross strings with 2.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1419763415' post='2642451']
but i find crossing strings between the 3rd and 2nd finger (if you assume playing strict 3rd 2nmd and 1st finger alternation when picking) a lot harder due to the 'mechanics' of the fingers.
[/quote]

Its not mechanics of the fingers, it is what you are used to. It is no harder from two than three, if you are used to it.
All I was trying to say before is that only you can say if it will be that useful to you