Why become a member? ×

Chromatic Scale

timmo

Ok Thanks. I thought if you inverted it, it would maybe be different . So if you invert, then G is inverted perfect 5th, and F is inverted perfect fourth, so as A is next to G,so inverted 6th, i guess that makes absolute sense. Sometimes i can`t see the wood from the trees :). I complicate things by thinking too much.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1419283125' post='2638404']...I complicate things by thinking too much.[/quote]

Yes. :mellow:

[size=4] :lol:[/size]

[size=4]Inversions refer to chords, where the lowest note is not the root note. See here for more; any decent bass book will have deeper explanations, too (Bass for Dummes, etc...)[/size]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_%28music%29#Inversions"]Wikipedia: Inversions...[/url]
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

My uncle worked down the pit. I think that makes him a relative miner.

Seriously, the relationships between notes are defined by the harmony being used and a chromatic scale has no harmony per se so the relationship between the notes would not be termed minor or major or inverted etc. If there are chords involved, that changes everything and the A - C relationship becomes a sharp nine, an inverted sixth and a minor third, depending on the context. S'complicated

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1419336616' post='2638838']
My uncle worked down the pit. I think that makes him a relative miner.

Seriously, the relationships between notes are defined by the harmony being used and a chromatic scale has no harmony per se so the relationship between the notes would not be termed minor or major or inverted etc. If there are chords involved, that changes everything and the A - C relationship becomes a sharp nine, an inverted sixth and a minor third, depending on the context. S'complicated
[/quote]

If they dropped a piano on him, he'd be a flat minor....

Meanwhile, chromatic scales are continuous semi tone runs- fret by fret on a single string effectively.

Intervals can be inverted although as correctly stated this is not an inversion. My piano teacher gave me a useful tip for working out inverted intervals.

Reverse the polarity of the interval as it were;
Major becomes minor and vice versa, diminished becomes augmented etc and the number must add up to 9. So a major 2nd becomes a minor 7th, augmented fifth becomes a diminished 4th and so on. Perfect intervals are so called because when you invert them they remain perfect.

Not pertinent to chromatic scale really but a nice tip!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1419412722' post='2639616']
Reverse the polarity of the interval as it were;
Major becomes minor and vice versa, diminished becomes augmented etc and the number must add up to 9. So a major 2nd becomes a minor 7th, augmented fifth becomes a diminished 4th and so on. Perfect intervals are so called because when you invert them they remain perfect.
[/quote]

That's a great tip.