Why become a member? ×

Cars and double basses

Rabbie

I had started this thread as something else, but I changed my mind and this is really what I wanted to discuss anyway...
Next year my car is due for a change. It's an estate car, it's been great for the bass and taking amp and 2 passengers at the same time. Another estate is the obvious way to go, but I have never driven any other type of "big" car with a bass in it. Can anyone suggest a great bass car for me to consider. May I add the budget is on the cheaper end of family cars. Also, I have absolutely no interest in car: if they carry the family and the bass at the same time, they are a great car to me!

Edited by Rabbie

After years of owning estate cars I went for a Diesel Citroen Berlingo Multispace.
It's the most versatile economical vehicle I have ever tried having loads of space and seating options.
We put our 2 large dogs in a travel crate in the boot.
I can put a double bass upright in the back without having to drop the seats.
At the recent double bass bash I took 3 acoustic uprights, 2 eub's, 2 combos plus stands with room to spare.
[attachment=179230:IMG_0857.jpg]

I traded my car last week (after 10 years) for something more economical, having a similar dilemma and bought a Skoda Superb Estate. Probably not quite as capacious overall as the Berlingo, but deceptively long and well thought out. I can fit the 3/4 DB in the back without the neck poking through the front seats and keep the wider portion of the rear passenger seat down. It might not win you over compared to the multi space Berlingo, but is another one to consider if you prefer estate car over van concept (I can't remember the name for the category of the Berlingo/Partner/Caddy type?).

I have a Saab 93 estate which easily takes my double bass, cab, amp/cable bag & assorted stands, plus our drummer's kit (minus bass drum - that would be just silly) plus three band members (including me). We can get the same stuff into the drummer's Skoda Fabia, but it's a tetris job on the packing.

Judging by the back of Bassman's Berlingo, I'd say that a MPV type vehicle is the way to go, especially of you're not precious about what you drive. Over the years, I've gone to gigs in Renault Scenic estates, Vauxhall Merivas and VW Sharans and it's amazing how much gear & people you can fit in them.

We've got a Honda CR-V diesel which fits double bass, amp, drum kit in the back with us two in the front. A bit of re-arranging would allow for a passenger in the back as well. When we were looking for it, we tried out a shortlist of cars and took the bass along to check for size. I heard of someone fitting 3 people and a double bass in a Ford Fiesta, but the journey was one of extreme discomfort.

[quote name='rorysmith' timestamp='1419403068' post='2639553']
What kind of van is that please Dad?
[/quote]

Renault Trafic Diesel T1000, from 1995 or so. Fitted with removable coach seats for up to 8, including driver; we normally roll with seats for 5 and all our gear (2 x half stacks, bass amp and cab, PA, drums in cases, instruments, stands and drum rug. It drinks about 10 litres per100 kms when fully loaded. Only one 'grumble': no power steering, but the wheel is extra-large to compensate somewhat; it counts towards a fitness regime.

Edited by Dad3353

Mini Clubman, 3/4 DB, Mackie PA, 1x12 Bass Combo, Electric bass in a hiscox case plus various bits and bobs including a hercules DB stand!
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140608_122029_zpsciljwqgf.jpg.html"][/url]

Not much room for a passenger but there would be if I did not need to take both of the Mackie PA speakers.
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140608_122016_zpsj2hgp4id.jpg.html"][/url]
I think it would be fair to say its more fun and better looking than a Berlingo too, Lol
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140621_115045_zpsbuqqsguz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140621_115045_zpsbuqqsguz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1419428946' post='2639869']
Renault Trafic Diesel T1000, from 1995 or so. Fitted with removable coach seats for up to 8, including driver; we normally roll with seats for 5 and all our gear (2 x half stacks, bass amp and cab, PA, drums in cases, instruments, stands and drum rug. It drinks about 10 litres per100 kms when fully loaded. Only one 'grumble': no power steering, but the wheel is extra-large to compensate somewhat; it counts towards a fitness regime.
[/quote]

Cheers! On the look out for something similar but insurance for myself being under 30 and the fact that we'd have to pay top dollar to go into the capital is proving a problem at the moment.

I have been known to wangle my 3 people, my 3/4 double bass, 2 guitars and 2 mandolins in soft cases in my Renault Clio on occasion but, as stated above, it ain't comfortable!

Edited by rorysmith

Aye I hear you all... Before I had the estate, I spent 3 years touring as a double bass player with a Fiat Panda. So I know all the stories about basses and small cars. As I said, I'm no car fanatic so mustangs not my mustard. Despite being ugly, the berlingo may be bingo for me. Or just back for another estate, possibly out of the batch mentioned above. Thank you very much.

if you have long drives to gigs and you want comfort as well as plenty room for db, cabs, pasenger etc, the best value on wheels atm is the Ford Cougar 2.5. hatchback. Well under £2k for a low mileage one from 2000-2002.

Dunno what road tax is like your way, but i pay over £1000 tax here and it's still an absolute bargain. Cheap ford spares (and plenty second hand too). 36mpg on a run. 170 bhp. Front wheel drive. The X pack version has leather, a/c and all the comforts. Back seats fold down to give a cavernous space, for a coupe.

Unvelieveable what you get for your money. Makes a lot of sense if you value build quality and ultra-low purchase price over tax etc.

Edited by fatback

I've transported my bass in several cars over the years but the last 3.5yrs has seen me driving a diesel Skoda Octavia Estate. I'm of that age where the Skoda was the joke car but after years of it constantly topping the car mag polls for owner satisfaction I took the plunge and it has been worth it. All that said I managed to get an upright bass in a VW Fox on a few occasions so I guess it depends where you draw the line on comfort / passengers etc.

Hi
Vauxhall Zafira - MkII version (now superceded by MkIII, so some new ones of these possibly still around, and heavily discounted) masses of space: my full size DB fits comfortably down the middle on its side, with space for one rear seat up, and space for stool, bag and a smallish amp in the boot..
A 3/4 size bass would possibly even allow 2 rear seats up with bass down the middle