Kinman pickups. Thank you Santa

5 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Bass guitar, Other guitars, IBM Mainframes, Motorcycles and Motorsport.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:30 AM

Last year I bought a gorgeous cherry burst American deluxe strat. A beautiful guitar to look at and play. But about a month ago I realised that I was ignoring it in favour of my other guitar, a much cheaper american FSR strat. After a bit of
Head scratching and some back to back testing, I decided it was down to the N3 pickups on the deluxe. They're okay in isolation but very, well, ordinary compared to the Texas specials in my FSR.

So Santa was persuaded to bring me a new pickguard, pots and wiring along with a set of Kinman no-hum Blues pickups. They arrived earlier in the week and I spent a happy Christmas Eve fitting them.

So now I've replaced the old, cream, pickguard and knobs with white and I think the guitar looks so much better. And the new pickups are phenomenal. A real range of tone between the three pickups, and utterly hum free.

Spent most of yesterday and today unable to put the thing down. I think the FSR is going to be relegated to the back bedroom now.

I am very happy.

Edited by Skinnyman, 27 December 2014 - 12:30 AM.

Gear: Rickenbacker, Fender, SGC Nanyo, Dingwall, Sei, K-Line, Faith, Yamaha, Genz Benz, Bergantino, Zoom

#2 fretmeister

Dirty Slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts
  • Interests:Magic. Rugby. Motorsport. Films. Quiz Shows. Sculpture.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

I had a set in a strat a few years ago. Stunning pickups.

They should be far better known!

Wondering how to count in 15/4

#3 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Kinmans are excellent pickups; congrats.
Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom (JJ), Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless (MM), Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Phil Jones Flightcase, Phil Jones Cub & PB300

My Feedback

#4 3below

getting older

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

View Postfretmeister, on 14 January 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

I had a set in a strat a few years ago. Stunning pickups.

They should be far better known!

Ditto, and I still have the guitar.
Google knows too much about me :(

#5 tom1946

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • Interests:My 1962 Anglia 105e.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

The folks that came in my shop at whitby swore by Kinman pickups for their Hank Marvin impressions. Holy Grail.
MY FEEDBACK

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0&start=0