Why become a member? ×

NBD Spector NS2 Helium

Billy Apple

Very proud to present my Xmas gift to myself. Just picked this from Bass Direct;

Spector NS2 Helium in black satin matte. Figured maple over reclaimed NYC water-tank redwood with a 3 piece graphite reinforced maple through neck.

Active EMG PJ, 9v Spector pre with +/-15dB boost and cut (vol, pan, bass, treble).

34" scale, 24 fret Pau Ferro board with Abalone inlays, 16" radius, 1.64" nut and ebony head-stock veneer.

All black Spector Aluminium bridge with brass saddles. Gotoh GB7 tuners.

This bass looks, feels and sounds sublime. I'm still a bit stunned by it all!

:)

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1419725445' post='2642308']
Happy NBD!

Where's the helium connection ?
[/quote]

Helium is the name Spector give to basses built with the water-cure redwood wings and ally bridge. Saves about a pound off the weight (depending on the top wood). Mine comes in at a very nice 8.5lbs

Wow! A top of the range US Spector! Did you win the lottery? :D

I've been looking at this one on the Bass Direct site for some time... a very, very cool bass indeed and we must hear some audio clips at some point! I'm delighted with my Euro4 and have been wondering what the US-built models are like. What made you go down the Spector route and decide on a US model? ;) Great score! You surely don't need any more bass than this. Could it be the end of GAS??

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1419755123' post='2642374']
Why not go for a Spector Forte X?

It's Thunderbird shaped, in a similar finish. They're veeeeery nice.
[/quote]

If you'd asked me about Spectors a year ago there would've been no way I'd gone near them, let alone splurge my biggest outlay on a bass ever. But after my (somewhat extensive) research the NS2 shape has grown on me so much I find myself at this point. I absolutely love the shape of this bass! It's so incredibly comfortable to play, it's compact, it balances beautifully, the neck is just right and there are no sharp edges anywhere to scuff, dig or wear any part of your body. Not only does it manage to achieve its ergonomics, but it does it while looking great.. I can't stop looking at it! :D

I was thinking about you yesterday, but alas when I got home! I should tried the ML JAX T4 and reported back. But, we had a rotten trip up the M40 and may as well walked from High Wycombe to Warwick, so when we got there I just had my Spector specs on. I remember seeing the ML T4 and T5, which stood out due to their gorgeousness. I only picked one bass up in the shop and that was the one I came home with.

I must give props to the Lady Bones who made the decision for me to buy the bass. I was doing a whole lot of justifying, but she cut through it, said it looked lovely and that was that.

None of the pictures do it justice, it really is subtle, understated and beautiful.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1419765152' post='2642472']
I must give props to the Lady Bones who made the decision for me to buy the bass. I was doing a whole lot of justifying, but she cut through it, said it looked lovely and that was that.
[/quote]

Always nice to have a big purchase sanctioned by the boss, isn't it? :D
I must start being nicer to the current mrs discreet...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419791382' post='2642737']

Always nice to have a big purchase sanctioned by the boss, isn't it? :D
I must start being nicer to the current mrs discreet...
[/quote]

Y'could start by not calling her the current Mrs :lol:
They never appreciate that. (As fortunate as she must be to have that title )

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1419725784' post='2642310']

Helium is the name Spector give to basses built with the water-cure redwood wings and ally bridge. Saves about a pound off the weight (depending on the top wood). Mine comes in at a very nice 8.5lbs
[/quote]

Thank you for that. Glad you're enjoying the awesome purchase.

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1419806652' post='2642921']
Aye. I'm thinking about ripping it our for a Tone Pump, tho but.
[/quote]

Wow, really? :huh:
Are you not getting that thunderous, brash, epic, controversial and totally exhilarating sound you get from a TonePump, then..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1419808783' post='2642942']
No, not at all, I jest! :lol:
[/quote]

I was going to say... I can't imagine Stuart making such a mistake with one of his personal creations.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1419808783' post='2642942']
We need a tone-off. A pre-amp battle royal, if you will.
[/quote]

I don't know about a battle, but it would be interesting to compare them, certainly. And I'll get to have a go on a USA Spector, so that's a bonus. :) If you were thinking of making this comparison in meatspace, that is...

Edited by discreet