Why become a member? ×

Another strings discussion... Music Man Sterling / Stingray

thegom

Playing Rotosound Swingbass on my US Sterling at the moment and had Super Slinkys before. Quite happy with both, the super Slinkys are nice and balanced and suit a variety of styles, the Rotosounds are fantastic in-your-face metallic noisy, bright and rock'n'roll... recorded with an old Ampeg on our latest EP a dream. However, for live, I find them a bit too much and too dominant so before I go back to the Slinkys... Any string recommendations? Genre is classic hard rock.

Hi, I play rock and use Rotosound 77 flatwounds. I bought a bass a couple of years back already had them on and I fell in love with them and they are perfect on my Stingray.

What I like about them is they are response to changes in playing position. Loads bright enough for me. I think there were some for sale on here a few days back

Another alternative would be to try Status Hotwire halfrounds.

Edited by Pinball

• 3 weeks later...

Rotosound Nickel Rounds - just a tad warmer than thier steel cousins, so more suited to "in the mix". That said, the Roto Steels do lose their brightness fairly quickly, and then die down to a nice balanced tone. I use them, and hate them new. Once a set is on, it stays until I get tuning issues, which is usually a year-plus.