Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[size=5][color=#800000][b]January’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/color][/size]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

[size=4]By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/size]

[b][size=4]1) Please [/size]avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[size=4][b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/size]

[size=4]For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: http://www.freesound.org/[/size]

[size=4][b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/size]

[size=4]If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.[/size]

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 24th January.[/b][/size][/color]

I'm significantly hungover today (I rarely drink and so when I do it's monstrous). So I called upon on the clarity of judgement offered by my very sober and pregnant wife to choose the above image.

All I can say at this point in time is that it's [i]very[/i] yellow. And has rabbits in it. Innit.

Last year we had M.C. Escher and Burt Reynolds, so count your blessings ;)

Burt Reynolds , someone stole his cigar as I recall :)

Your good lady has chosen a good one for me (I hope )

I just showed Lurksalittle the pic and she said Nirvana , so a bit if guitarish/ rockish/ grungeish noises might work for me , though I so reserve the right to miss that description by a long way :D

Edited by lurksalot

Yeah it's got me scratching my head too! :D

I think Lurks is on to something with a garage/grunge route... might try that myself... but to each his own, as is always the case with these challenges.

I did wonder whether the image is a Banksy but it's not - it's a print made by some chap using a Banksy-ish style.

Here's a thread about the image if you're interested, which might spark a few more ideas for anyone struggling with it:

http://banksyforum.proboards.com/thread/105081/protester-dot

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1420204729' post='2646651']
BTW Skol, will the Mix Challenge be resurrected for 2015?

Ta, Ian
[/quote]

Hi Ian, it will indeed mate! :) Hopefully within the next fortnight. I'll post up a new Mixing Challenge thread as soon as it's ready.

Cheers,

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1420211800' post='2646712']
Hi Ian, it will indeed mate! :) Hopefully within the next fortnight. I'll post up a new Mixing Challenge thread as soon as it's ready.

Cheers,

Paul
[/quote]
Fantastic! I think that'll be a better exercise for me than trying (and failing) to get inspiration for the Composition stuff - I'm struggling to get out of C-Major and E-Minor ruts at the moment :mellow:

Edited by Bottle

I've mentioned this elsewhere but in case you missed it... [color=#800000][b]there's a Basschat Polo Shirt up for grabs this month![/b][/color]

And better still, it's a new one, not one of Doug's hand-me-downs ;)

It was meant to be a surprise prezzie for the December winner, but I already have one and so the prize is 'rolling over' to this month instead.

Here's a link to the BC shop in case you're wondering what I'm blathering on about:

http://basschat.co.uk/cp/2-shop/

As you were.

A Chas n Dave style knees up anyone?

I've got a working title of Rampant Rabbit at the moment, maybe with a guest contribution from Elmer Fudd, but the exact style is eluding me for now!
Also need to get my keyboard fixed up, but I'd love to have a go this month, I love the image, by the way

[size=4]Back home, ready to take up the Challenge once again. Hmm... Not so simple. Basically brain-numb, but I'll try working along the lines of 'Rag, Tag and Bobtail meet Punch and Judy' for now, and see where that takes me. Hmm...[/size]

[size=4]It took me here...[/size]

[size=4][url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/rag-tag-and-judy"]Rag, Tag and Judy ...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Enjoy.[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

Wanted to enter this one as its the New Year, Happy New Year everyone :), cant get any lyrics for this so I am doing a hip hop dancey, guitar loaded rabbit thing. Put something down earlier and although its a bit weird and out of my box (which YOU may need to be to appreciate it), I am going with it, where it will end who knows? I have no idea :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420468061' post='2649617']
I'd like to play but unfortunately I'm still in the "sitting there scratching my head" looking at Reaper phase.
Maybe next month, or the month after, or the month after that. & so on & so on.

:-)
[/quote]

Nah, we've all done that, and it doesn't work. One needs to be a bit more pro-active. For starters, put the picture as background on your screen, so that it's before you every day. Then change your avatar for the picture (fun, as it changes every month. It's Secret Santa month for now, or I'd have already done it...). Sooner or later something will pop into your head; a melody, a riff, a beat... Then is the time to reap the rewards of this cunning psychological forward planning, using... Reaper..! There, you see..? That was easy, wasn't it..? No more excuses now; get that screen desktop picture done. Yes, now. Well..? Don't just sit there gawping..! <_<[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1420469004' post='2649634']

Nah, we've all done that, and it doesn't work. One needs to be a bit more pro-active. For starters, put the picture as background on your screen, so that it's before you every day. Then change your avatar for the picture (fun, as it changes every month. It's Secret Santa month for now, or I'd have already done it...). Sooner or later something will pop into your head; a melody, a riff, a beat... Then is the time to reap the rewards of this cunning psychological forward planning, using... Reaper..! There, you see..? That was easy, wasn't it..? No more excuses now; get that screen desktop picture done. Yes, now. Well..? Don't just sit there gawping..! <_<[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Thanks Dad, your so inspirational. I just don't think a song about a woman with her hand up a rabbit's arse is something I've conceived before :-p

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420476978' post='2649763']
Thanks Dad, your so inspirational. I just don't think a song about a woman with her hand up a rabbit's arse is something I've conceived before :-p
[/quote]

There are worse themes. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4](Yes, I have a rather long list, which I'm prepared to send upon reception of a stamped, addressed envelope and a 5 shilling postal order...)[/size]

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1420479696' post='2649806']
eh, TWO rabbits arses, actually.
[/quote]

Some folks have a gift for poetry, it would seem. Is there really nothing else to be gleaned from this picture..? :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :lol:[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1420480058' post='2649809']
Some folks have a gift for poetry, it would seem. Is there really nothing else to be gleaned from this picture..? :rolleyes: :lol:
[/quote]

Well, initially I wondered if it was a political comment on seemingly-oppositional political figures all being controlled by an unseen puppet master but, for that to work, the two puppets should be different.
Then I read the post in the other forum and realised that this artist is just making a visual joke about the woman in the original photo making two V signs, like a 'photobomb rabbit-ear' thing.
So, it's actually much shallower than I originally suspected and basically is, now, a woman with her hand up a pair of rabbits arses.
As such, I think whatever tune I put together will probably be more of a reaction to the aesthetic style rather than any meaning the image might be trying to convey.
I'm expecting some dirty, noisy silliness from me and most of the other entries :D Anybody who can put together something that is both listenable and apposite could run away with it
:D

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1420480500' post='2649815']...Anybody who can put together something that is both listenable and apposite could run away with it
:D
[/quote]

I'm in with a fighting chance, then..! Woohoo..! ([i]Rubs hands in glee, and chortles. Gets funny looks from family members in the vicinity. The chortling changes to mad cackling; the funny looks continue unabated. Dances out of the room, but trips over a sack of potatoes. The cackling stops suddenly, to be replaced by sullen oaths and curses[/i]...)

Edited by Dad3353