Why become a member? ×

TC Amp Heads - RH or BH?

Davy

I'm looking to buy a new TC bass head and the main options would appear to be either the BH range or the RH range.

I know the BH range is considered to be the budget level and the RH the top end stuff but with the latest BH range is there really that much difference aside from the external casing and the smaller dimensions of the RH range?

Disclosure: I'm a happy RH450 user, and haven't come across the BH range in person.

Defo, the RH range is more top end - adjustable frequencies on the 4 band EQ, more informative tuner, tubetone & comp controls on the amp, 3 presets, digital output (has anyone used that?), interface to a nicer (but pricey) footswitch. It also happens to look awesome - which will matter for some people!

The BH range looks pretty capable these days. TonePrint sounds cool, but also looks cumbersome to configure. USB output could be more useful than the RH's digital output.

Ultimately, look at the specs for each and then decide which has the features you'll value more - which will vary from person to person

RH for me every time i have been using an RH450 combo for a while now in pubs and clubs with no PA support and it easily holds its own. Does nice ckean zingy to grindy vale sim. I had a BH250 as backup its a good amp but not as flexible as the RH i treid a 550 today and...yep big 250 two tone prints. Effects wise i use overdrive occasionally and comp mist of the time. The RH has both and the footswitch has the tuner in. tone prints are cool to muck about with but you soon get bored lol.
My Rig is uo for sale on here whole or split if your interested i have ordered a Blacksmith as i have somr bigger outdoor gigs this year.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1420383882' post='2648606']
I got an email from TC telling me that there was no difference in quality between the RH & New BH range only features .
[/quote]
That wouldn't surprise me (assuming you believe it).

The difference in features is significant, but how much of an impact that has will be dependent on what matters to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a BH800. It arrived a few weeks back.

Really just on a quest for a loud, lightweight, class-D head. Running it into an 8ohm Hartke 4x10 cabinet and even at 25% it's suprisingly loud. Tone Print functionality is good too (even though I'm not big on effects).

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 1 year later...

Just bought a RH450. Before that had (well still have) a BG250 combo, which has the same type of amps.

I am very happy with the RH, good sound, good controls and happy with it. An amp is pretty well an amp, works or doesn't, and I suspect the actual amp is not much different, so just the preamp difference.
The RH is very flexable and it is nice to have the spectracomp and the tubetone. The BG has two toneprints but you can only use one at once, and normally one of them was the spectracomp, although if I could have chosen to have a toneprint on the RH I would have had one, as it is nice to have (and very easy to use).

BH550 user here.

I love it. I get a great tone playing through my gen1 Barefaced compact. There are two toneprint slots...I use one with the spectracomp and the other with a bit of drive...although I always just leave the first one on. It's a shame you can only use one toneprint at a time. It would be nice if you could use them simultaneously. The tuner works fine. The mute toggle switch goes the other than I would expect so that catches me out every now and again!

Changing toneprints is really easy using the app. Unfortunately since buying it I have swapped to a windows phone...so I'm stuck with the toneprints I have :D

Also, some of the combined compressor/drive toneprints are way too loud...ok if you find one you like and leave it on permanently, but not great if you plan to change them mid set.

I also prefer the more traditional looks of the BH series.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1453476841' post='2959856']
I've been GAS'ing for an RH750 for some time now......The feature set is amazing and from what I've heard, they sound pretty darn good!
[/quote]

And they've come down in price. The RH750 I bought at the beginning of last year cost me quite a lot less than the RH450 I'd bought (and sold after a couple of years) about 5/6 years previous!

I've had Classic 450 (till it went pop), then went to a BH250 which was great. Then bought the daddy BH800....bloody hell it's loud. Have that going through an RS210 and RS212, and it's a real 'set it and forget it'. Great tone, good controls and not so many options that lead you down the rabbit hole of fiddling.

Now take the 250 as a back-up, just in case. Can't recommend the BH800 enough.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1453479624' post='2959913']
And they've come down in price. The RH750 I bought at the beginning of last year cost me quite a lot less than the RH450 I'd bought (and sold after a couple of years) about 5/6 years previous!
[/quote]
Indeed. I really do think the RH750 is the best bang for buck amp that money can buy right now. I swapped mine for an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 a while back, seduced by the incredible lightweightness and rave reviews here on BC, but almost immediately realised I'd made a big mistake. The TH is certainly a nice sounding amp but ... it has now gone on to pastures new and I am a happy RH750 user again. Lost a load of money in the process, of course, but lesson definitely learned!

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1453503743' post='2960236']
Yep, I do miss my RH750, and am trying desperately to not buy the one for £300 currently in the classifieds!
[/quote]
Had my eye on that one too - maybe if the OP replied to the questions on it, he might get the 'quick sale' he's looking for! :rolleyes:

I have the original bh500 check out you tube Uriah duffey demos it. Delighted with it tube tone compressor etc as it was my first amp I wanted something with bells and whistles eventually settling for a Traynor. Yba 200 tube
I still use it and might be worth while looking for one unless the new micro head is OK for you. The rebel head was going to be my next one but the valve Traynor came up ☺☺

I've had a RH450 and a 750. I had the RH750 at the same time as my GB Shuttle 9.2, it seemed daft to keep both so I decided to move one on. Wasn't really using the features on the RH so that one went, sometimes wonder if that was the right choice! Maybe I'll get another one sometime and give it another go, the 750 is a great little amp.

Edited by ern500evo