Why become a member? ×

Flats on my 'Ray? Recommendations please.

sammybee

I want to try some flats on my 'Ray (a'la Bernard Edwards). Any recommendations for which brand?

I used to have a set of Rotosound flats on one of my Jazzes but found the tension quite high and the strings felt as if they were about to snap the neck at any moment. Something I'd like to avoid on my 'Ray.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1420309368' post='2647942']
I want to try some flats on my 'Ray (a'la Bernard Edwards). Any recommendations for which brand?

I used to have a set of Rotosound flats on one of my Jazzes but found the tension quite high and the strings felt as if they were about to snap the neck at any moment. Something I'd like to avoid on my 'Ray.
[/quote]
Although they are pricey, Thomastik Infeld flats are low tension, comparable to D'addario EXL170 rounds in terms of tension. Tonally TI's are mid prominent but so very very organic, I'd say they sound somewhat similar to a double bass, there's lots of thump and bass but everything is clear and articulate, the best way to describe them is that they are musical.

My experience of flats have been:

Rotosound - high tension, good sound, can get a fairly near roundwound tone by cranking treble, but still a good thump if backing off the highs
D`Addario Chromes - less tension than the Rotos, probably the nearest you can get to roundwound tone imo, but still a good thump if backing off the highs
TI Flats - low tension, good sound with lots of mids, again can get near roundwound tones by cranking treble, but still a good thump if backing off the highs
GHS Precision Flats - warm, rounded, classic Motowny/thumpy tones, great for flats tone, not good at getting near roundwounds though
LaBella Deep Talkin Flats - same as the GHS, but probably more lows/less low mids, great for flats tone, not good at getting near roundwounds though

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1420312376' post='2647997']
Status Hotwire flats 40s - 100s on my Ray (though it is a fretless). Plenty of zing and low - medium tension.
[/quote]

Yep, it's the tension on a 34" that make these winners for me. I have a set on my Valenti and as far as I'm concerned nothing gets close; they feel great, the black stringers make them look fabulous and they're great value for money. And... they're British. Good for our economy, good for niche bass product manufacturing, fabulous products. You can't lose. :D

I've got TI flats on my fretted EBMM SUB and Labella ones on my fretless one.

There seems to be a bit more tension to the labella ones, which I think I'm going to prefer but haven't had the bass long enough to know for sure. Might try swapping the two sets over soon to see how they each work on the other bass

Had d'addario chromes on my stingray and found them way too stiff/tight,required a lot of truss rod adjustment to counter the bow, they were 45 guage.
Have roto 77s, 40 guage on my precision and they seem to be about right, sound better than the chromes to me as well, although I've not had them on a stingray, I'd say they are good bet.