Why become a member? ×

Learning jazz

aidanhallbass

After doing my grade 8 I now want to get myself grounded in jazz and jazz improv techniques. I'll be honest I haven't any albums in that field to listen to other than jaco pastorious. Can anyone reccommend some jazz tracks to listen to ? I'm wanting to put together a playlist that will inspire me and learn from it.

Starter Pack!!

Miles Davis – Kind Of Blue
Oliver Nelson – Blues and the Abstract Truth
Charles Mingus – Ah Um
Joe Henderson – So Near, So Far
Bill Evans – Sunday Night at The Village Vanguard
Dave Brubeck – Take Five
Duke Ellington – Such Sweet Thunder
Wynton Marsalis – Standard Time Vol. 1
John Coltrane – Blue Train/Giant Steps/A Love Supreme
Count Basie – The Atomic Mr. Basie

Try the Methany Meldau Quartet. I'm not a huge jazz fan but I found MMQ intuitive to listen to and introduced me to loads of musicians I wouldn't have heard of before. I'm not a huge fan of brass and the keys and guitar suited my listening tastes more than brass-led jazz does.

Truckstop

• 2 weeks later...

I go to a local Jazz Jam. I make a note of the tracks they do, so I can go over them during the week. After a while the same tracks keep coming up.

As a result I've got the standards, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Early Ray Charles, Count Basie (mentioned above), John Coltrane and Charlie Parker, Charlie Mingus (Mentioned above) collections. More to be added. Like you I've only just started getting into Jazz.

It's a big topic and you need to break it into manageable chunks. The funnest way (and also will really help with repertoire) is to apply all your practising to tunes. Take a tune you like that is a relatively common jazz standard and shed over it. Things you could work on are:

Learning the melody of that tune by ear
Playing the associated chord (up to the 9th) for each chord symbol (try to learn the chords without any lead sheet, use your ears)
Ditto with the scale
Walking a line through the tune
Learning (via transcription) licks over that tune

So when you make a playlist it's great to have a few exemplars of playing you like on a particular tune, then add lots of transcribed material to your bag of tricks. It's really nice to transcribe the walking lines of different bass players - you need lots of ways to outline the harmony clearly with a walking line.

You'll find work you do on one tune translates really well into others, as there's a lot overlap in the types of chord progressions that come up. Ideally you want to have harmony in your ears and hands.

• 1 month later...

Whilst I don't disagree with the above suggested listening by any manner of means; it's important to remember that the bass didn't really develop fully until good quality steel strings and amplification came along. The evolution of sound and technique since the early 1960's in both the Jazz and Classical worlds has been exponential.
Check out players who have emerged since then: Gary Peacock, Eddie Gomez, Marc Johnson, Dave Holland for example. Also, Peter Washington is a great contemporary example of the Paul Chambers vibe, same as Chris McBride is to the Ray Brown stuff. We also have an amazing bass tradition in Europe - Niels-Henning Orsted-Pedersen, Arild Andersen, Palle Danielleson, Miroslav Vitous, Anders Jormin, Mads Vinding etc.

This list of great players is endless but, if you want to understand Jazz, I seriously recommend you got back to the giants. Sart with Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, Scott LaFaro, Charlie Haden, Ron Carter etc and, when you move on to the cats Jaywalker is talking about (who are all monsters and amoung my favourite players). it will make more sense. I think if you start with Gary Peacock, you may struggle with the kinds of gigs you are most likely to start with ;)

Agreed...but, there's little point in saying leave modern bass playing that for later and concentrate on the 1950's until you find your feet. Chances of a beginner having a bass set high with guts and no amp are pretty slim; so from a sonic development point of view it makes more sense to be aware of a broader range of bassists than potentially trying to emulate the sound of Ray or Doug playing really hard on gut as they struggle to cut thru the band; all whilst playing on spiros and a decent action for example. Also, there's no reason for someone not to start with Gary as an influence if they have access to good tuition material with regard to bass line construction etc etc. i started with Ron and the Bill Evans guys like Gary and Marc Johnson - never had any desire to sound like PC or Ray.

I was assuming you were talking about beginners who were coming to Jazz fresh. I think that understanding the context of a walking bass line would be easier to explain/comprehend with RB and PC (who studied with RB) than, say, Marc Johnson with John Abercrombie or Dave Holland with Circle etc. I don't think that most beginners would be overly concerned with [i]sounding[/i] like PC, GP or anyone else for that matter let alone whether their strings were gut or otherwise. That would come later. For the first six months, they would be trying to get through a whole song without bleeding!! :D