Why become a member? ×

Right hand technique, using ring finger instead of middle finger [video]

mike313

Hi, I was watching this video in which Madrid based bass virtuoso Alain Perez plays some flamenco chops.
(starts at 5:50)

[url="http://youtu.be/p72R59wgLOo?t=5m50s"]http://youtu.be/p72R59wgLOo?t=5m50s[/url]

I noticed he never use the middle finger of his right hand, alternating instead the index and the ring finger. I remembered some time ago i saw another very good bassist playing live like that, playing fingerstyle and never using the middle finger. Honestly that night i thought the guy had some problem with his middle finger, so he could not use it, but now I realize this is a real, alternative technique.

Does anybody knows from where this technique comes and what is the advantage of using the ring finger instead of the middle finger?

Edited by mike313

[quote name='mike313' timestamp='1420470959' post='2649671']Does anybody knows from where this technique comes and what is the advantage of using the ring finger instead of the middle finger?
[/quote]
It's probably from classical guitar. Pick a pair of fingers, any pair, and alternate them starting on either - essential practice with scales. Now introduce the thumb and alternate/co-ordinate it with the fingers in all possible combinations. It's not (exclusively) flamenco, their speciality is use of the little finger for enhanced strumming. As said before, index and ring are usually close in length, so may be more comfortable for some work or present the fingers at a better angle than tilting the hand to drop on the middle finger without having to bend it so much.

And he does use his middle finger...