Why become a member? ×

Old Fart...New Hobby

teddyt

hi everyone. Im graham ,55yrs old and NEVER touched a bass in my life!!!! :blink:
my son is a pretty good bedroom bassist and for xmas we got him rocksmith 2014 as an extra gift. long story short I now fancy having a go!!! (at bass not rocksmith)

Am i too old to learn new tricks??? and I also want to tinker/ fix old basses, am retired with lower body disability so plenty of time on my hands :gas:
any tips or things to avoid???

I will no doudt drive you all mad with questions about everything
so thanks in advance :D

I think it's true to say that you never stop learning which is the reason why I decided to get back into playing only fairly recently - I really enjoy setting up basses and I found all of my information online so hopefully you'll be fine... and welcome to Basschat... let the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) begin! :D

[quote name='teddyt' timestamp='1420481711' post='2649835']
hi everyone. Im graham ,55yrs old and NEVER touched a bass in my life!!!! :blink:
[/quote]

Welcome, you're not too old - you're younger than I am, got my first bass just 12 months ago. Had a very good year with it! Wish I had done it years ago, but maybe I did not have enough patience when younger (In my teens, gave up guitar after 1 year and piano after 2 years :( )

[quote]
any tips or things to avoid???
[/quote]

Yes, GAS.

Hello Graham. :)

You're never too old to play. Take your time and practice as much as you can. There's plenty of info on-line to help your playing and this place is full of friendly and wise folk that will always chip in and help if they can.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Allie.

[quote name='teddyt' timestamp='1420481711' post='2649835']
my son is a pretty good bedroom bassist and for xmas we got him rocksmith 2014 as an extra gift. long story short I now fancy having a go!!! (at bass not rocksmith)
[/quote]

Well, don't totally dismiss rocksmith, it does have an educational side, and you can download a lot of songs you want from the custom sites. When I needed to learn 25 songs in 4 weeks, I found that over 15 of them were available, and they helped!

Welcome young 'un!

I first picked up a bass at 51 and three years later joined my first band and having been gigging regularly ever since.

You're never too old - have fun learning!

Word of advice, stay away from the For Sale section on here. It will suck you in and own you...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421008152' post='2656161']
Welcome Graham. My one piece of advice for using Basschat would be to avoid getting caught up in Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). Just get a playable instrument and a practice amp and [i]enjoy[/i] the learning process.
[/quote]
Too Late I'm afraid...Already in the process of getting a Spector pro 4, little used off a guy on another(unrelated) forum, and looking at lots of other stuff as well :D :D . I am disabled so on a very tight budget(just as well realy). so I am also looking into getting old stuff, looking for a new lease of life :gas:

Edited by teddyt