Why become a member? ×

A question, no, two questions!

Horizontalste

After giving up on cubase I've installed Reaper and I should have done it ages ago but my old antiquated laptop is having a hard time keeping up. I plan on replacing it for a better specced machine but I'm not likely to do that before my free trial runs out. So, question one is, if I buy my license now will I then have to buy it again for the new laptop or is reaper user transferable
Also why I have the attention of the recording experienced, can someone point me in the direction of a trusted site for samples, it's mostly drums I'm after.

Thanks folks
Steve

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420543017' post='2650387']
After giving up on cubase I've installed Reaper and I should have done it ages ago but my old antiquated laptop is having a hard time keeping up. I plan on replacing it for a better specced machine but I'm not likely to do that before my free trial runs out. So, question one is, if I buy my license now will I then have to buy it again for the new laptop or is reaper user transferable
Also why I have the attention of the recording experienced, can someone point me in the direction of a trusted site for samples, it's mostly drums I'm after.

Thanks folks
Steve
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Steve...

The license will be valuable even if you change PCs, although, as there are no restrictions before buying the license, you could also continue unlicensed until you upgrade your material.
As for sample sites, there's plenty enough out there. I use several, but can recommend [url="http://www.looperman.com/"]Looperman[/url], which quite rich, and reliable. An interesting 'Reaper forum' thread [url="http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147296"]here[/url], too, with a superb set of kit samples to download...
Hope this helps...

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420543017' post='2650387']

Thanks folks
Steve
[/quote]
I've got a Reaper licence and as Dad says, it's 100% transferrable to another machine if/when you upgrade. I managed to get the non-commercial licence when Cockos had a special offer on so I only paid $45 for the whole thing. Bargain! Cheap as chips and is valid all the way up to Version 5.99 (they're up to V4.76 at the moment)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1420547154' post='2650442']
Be warned... I, too, thought I'd 'have a go'. I now have over 20 G of samples. Have I listened to, or used them all..? Have I heck..! One day, surely... :facepalm:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Thank god for terrabites 😁

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1420549863' post='2650484']

I've got a Reaper licence and as Dad says, it's 100% transferrable to another machine if/when you upgrade. I managed to get the non-commercial licence when Cockos had a special offer on so I only paid $45 for the whole thing. Bargain! Cheap as chips and is valid all the way up to Version 5.99 (they're up to V4.76 at the moment)
[/quote]

Cheers, I'll buy it when I get home later, I'm fed up of the pop up. At least then I can plod on with my old machine while I decide on its replacement.

Just to put this to bed, I've had a scout on Looperman & there's so much useable stuff on there, it's a great site. I added a couple of blues drum loops to my library and it will be my first port of call in future.
Also I've spoken to my brother & he's building me a new desktop to meet my needs, he said I'll have a much better machine for less money this way & I now have the license for Reason too.

Thanks Dad & Bottle for the input.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420587329' post='2651127']
Just to put this to bed, I've had a scout on Looperman & there's so much useable stuff on there, it's a great site. I added a couple of blues drum loops to my library and it will be my first port of call in future.
Also I've spoken to my brother & he's building me a new desktop to meet my needs, he said I'll have a much better machine for less money this way & I now have the license for Reason too.

Steve
[/quote]
No worries fella, and good luck! Enjoy the fun of recording new music :)

[size=4][quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1420587329' post='2651127']

Steve
[/quote]

Good news; well done, all. :)

Now, how's that "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]song about a woman with her hand up a rabbit's @rse" coming along..? :mellow:[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421328314' post='2659884']
[size=4]

Good news; well done, all. :)

Now, how's that "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]song about a woman with her hand up a rabbit's @rse" coming along..? :mellow:[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Not too bad so far Dad, I found a bluesy drum loop that I've chopped up & I've been messing around with a dead simple minor pentatonic bass line that I've recorded.
I just want to practice my piano part a bit more before I record it and because I don't own a microphone yet I've borrowed one to put my dodgy vocals on.
Hopefully I can get a couple of hours at the weekend to find a nice arrangement.