Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar - Still got yours, or sold it?

solo4652

I've been reading the posts about the EBS Reidmar from a few years ago, when it first came out. I'm considering buying one as a back-up for my GK MB500. So - how has the Reidmar stood the test of time? Did the early adopters sell theirs on quickly or do you still have them?

I brought mine about 6 months ago as a rehearsal amp/backup to my EBS HD350. Wanted something with the "EBS tone" but in a much smaller format.

Still got it, gigged it a couple of times but it gets it's use at rehearsals. I'm very chuffed with it. It's not quite the HD350 in terms of smoothness and authority but it's pretty damn close. Compared to the Streamliner it replaced, it's much cleaner and feels just as loud. TBH, I've really not pushed it at all as it's PLENTY enough for me.

It'll sound quite different to the GK. Maybe that's what you want, maybe not. See if you can try one out before you buy.

My main bass is a Yamaha BB1200 which is fairly mids-forward. With the GK MB500, it sounds rich and deep with the bass boost engaged on the head, head mids dialled back a bit, hardly any scooping. That's the overall tone I'm looking for in a back-up amp. The more I read about the Reidmar, the more I suspect it may be a little too bright and top-end for the Yamaha. I quite fancy the idea of a hybrid head, but it will have to be small, powerful and cheap. Fat chance.

I bought one shortly after their release, tried it for a week and a gig and took it back to the store and replaced for another thing. I found the lows too muddy and the highs hissed like crazy. Great size/weight (fits in a standard laptop bag) and didn't had any problems with power output at gig volumes.

• 2 weeks later...

still got mine as a back up amp. used it whilst ebs were sorting me out with a 350 to replace the 360. imo the reidmar sounds better than the 360 and if you want more power than this you might want a different rig altogether.
its not as good as a 350 for sure but it is a nice plug and play job with a fender jazz.(obvs i use a fender jazz so cant say what it does with ant thing else). having had an old 350 die on me (it was about 20th hand after all and one of the first 350s so im not saying the ebs brand is unreliable at all) im just a bit paranoid so keep it as a back up. im gonna get the closest to the sound i want on a gig should it be needed.
all in all i like the reidamr. they had to come up with something in the lightweight category and for the money vrs what you get its a winner. i had a mark bass before and by comparison its more plug and play. less constant tweaking all night!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='baskruit' timestamp='1422742871' post='2676449']
I've owned mine since october 2012 and haven't bothered looking for anything else since. I wanted a modern sound in a lightweight package and the Reidmar delivers. There may be other amps on the market that I'd like even more but this one just works for me.
[/quote]

+1000