Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

Yes, the Mono's are expensive, and I'd rather not pay that sort of money. I did think it a bit pointless paying so much to protect a cheap bass, but no matter how cheap the bass costs if it got damaged on the way to a gig I'd be stuffed, so I'm willing to pay a bit more for peace of mind.

I realise I most bags do have the straps set low, but some are higher than others. The Mono Vertical seems to be a bit higher than what I have.

I did look at the Gigblade but it looks a bit bulky, not sure I'd get on with that hanging down my side. I also don't need any storage other than a small pocket for a strap.

I'm still looking though. My next gig isn't untill mid March so I have plenty of time.

I've just read the whole thread ................ then had to check the date wasn't April 1st - appears to be March 1st so it's obviously not a joke.

I'm astonished that so many of you could be hooked by:-

a) an entry level copy of a 1960 designed instrument.
Such could be considered even worth talking about when good copies of these instruments have been around since the early 1970s
c) one which doesn't even come with gig bag normally (so requires considerable expenditure in relation to the cost of the instrument to render it usable to a non bedroom only musician)
d) one which seems to have a manual with such poor English as to put it on a par with late 70s far eastern electronic goods.

Have you all gone mad or is there such a lowering of the lowest common denominator of desired level of musicianship on this forum that buying one of this starter instruments sight unseen should generate such fervent interest?? The name is even a misspelling of Fender's entry level line - although even that has been the subject of discussion seemingly wishing to elevate it almost to custom shop level.

Has anyone dropped one of these Sires to see if it splinters under the slightest gig accident - btw the Squier does - I've seen it happen.

If you were lusting after a Ritter or Alembic etc I could understand it, I simply don't understand why people would want to buy a cheap Fender copy in this manner unless they were kids starting out!!

Oh well I'm sure someone will give me the low down 😃😄😄😄😄

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425250604' post='2705631']
I've just read the whole thread ................ then had to check the date wasn't April 1st - appears to be March 1st so it's obviously not a joke.

Such could be considered even worth talking about when good copies of these instruments have been around since the early 1970s
c) one which doesn't even come with gig bag normally (so requires considerable expenditure in relation to the cost of the instrument to render it usable to a non bedroom only musician)
d) one which seems to have a manual with such poor English as to put it on a par with late 70s far eastern electronic goods.

Have you all gone mad or is there such a lowering of the lowest common denominator of desired level of musicianship on this forum that buying one of this starter instruments sight unseen should generate such fervent interest?? The name is even a misspelling of Fender's entry level line - although even that has been the subject of discussion seemingly wishing to elevate it almost to custom shop level.

Has anyone dropped one of these Sires to see if it splinters under the slightest gig accident - btw the Squier does - I've seen it happen.

If you were lusting after a Ritter or Alembic etc I could understand it, I simply don't understand why people would want to buy a cheap Fender copy in this manner unless they were kids starting out!!

Oh well I'm sure someone will give me the low down 😃😄😄😄😄
[/quote]

OutToPlayJazz (Rich) who used to comment on this forum regularly, has some very expensive gear, bought one, gigged it and rated very highly. He even took it to Bass Direct who were equally impressed.

I'll go on the recommendations of a pro player and a retailer of high end gear...and anyone who's actually bought one

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425254278' post='2705672']
OutToPlayJazz (Rich) who used to comment on this forum regularly, has some very expensive gear, bought one, gigged it and rated very highly. He even took it to Bass Direct who were equally impressed.

I'll go on the recommendations of a pro player and a retailer of high end gear...and anyone who's actually bought one
[/quote]

I kinda think that Dr T Stingrays post was being ironic unless I am sadly mistaken....?

Just noticed that there are quite a few B-stock V7's listed at the Thomann site right now (almost all of them are white , with a 30 Euro reduction in price), does this mean that all of those basses were returned by customers or are there other reasons why Thomann would list them as B-stock?

Personally i wouldn't worry if there was one listed as B-stock as there's always a chance someone ordered one but then returned it because they didn't like the colour or something and decided to order another one, but as there are already at least 5 listed as B-stock atm , so short after the release date, i'm starting to wonder why people would return them in such high quantities? maybe there's an issue with some of the basses???

Not that would be a big problem as i can still return mine as well (once it get's here as my order was delayed due to some problems with he bank transfer), but still this might be food for thought... :mellow:

Edited by Bassdude BE

[quote name='Bassdude BE' timestamp='1425261949' post='2705695']
Just noticed that there are quite a few B-stock V7's listed at the Thomann site right now (almost all of them are white , with a 30 Euro reduction in price), does this mean that all of those basses were returned by customers or are there other reasons why Thomann would list them as B-stock?

Personally i wouldn't worry if there was one listed as B-stock as there's always a chance someone ordered one but then returned it because they didn't like the colour or something and decided to order another one, but as there are already at least 5 listed as B-stock atm , so short after the release date, i'm starting to wonder why people would return them in such high quantities? maybe there's an issue with some of the basses???

Not that would be a big problem as i can still return mine as well (once it get's here as my order was delayed due to some problems with he bank transfer), but still this might be food for thought... :mellow:
[/quote]

There are not that many in circulation from orders for it to be customer returns.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425250604' post='2705631']

Oh well I'm sure someone will give me the low down
[/quote] I think you do have kind of a good point and I see where you are coming from but I think that technology has advanced and I guess these basses will be much better than many of the dodgy 70's copies. I guess there is no way to know without trying one out I myself am very undecided about these basses and I have tried a few in the same kind of price range like Squiers and vintage etc etc and none really blew me away as standard but with a bit of modification I thought they were pretty good. And the clips on youtube of the MM bass seem pretty positive so might be worth a punt? but like I say it really is not going to do anything different to other basses I own but I think it looks like a quality instrument only time will tell I guess

As far as buying untested, Thomanns are one of the best for this. No hassle returning things IME.

I got an emial back form their CEO regarding the bags. They decided to not supply the bags to Europe due to some places preferring to supply their own, with logos on etc, and due to the fact that the cost will be higher. In the states they sell direct from their website so no middle man. Makes sense to me. Im fussy, as ive said already, but gig bags dont cost a lot if you aren't.
The Emil also sorted my gig bag problem out :-)

They seem like a great company to deal with.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1425255306' post='2705676']

I kinda think that Dr T Stingrays post was being ironic unless I am sadly mistaken....?
[/quote]

Not really - i am curious by the clamour for these - I must confess to having been sucked in somewhat when I saw a picture of a baby blue 5 string - Im put off a little by how close the row of 5 stacked control knobs get to the potential plucking position of the G string.

I wasn't aware Outtoplayjazz had used one of these - I suspect that although interested in them he won't be dropping his Status or Sabre basses.

I'm one if those guys who had a great Jazz copy in the seventies and whilst manufacture if everything has improved since, the difference I felt when I left mine behind when I bought an expensive instrument back then (it was a pre EB Stingray brand new) was so great I simply sold the Jazz copy. Solidity, sound and feel were in a different league.

The biggest surprise here to me is the apparent break up of the MM/Fender alliance - no doubt he will still use his famous Fender but they do seem to be dropping all the good signature instruments (the MM 5 must be one of the best in their history).

Sign of the times I guess.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425303586' post='2705965']
Not really - i am curious by the clamour for these - I must confess to having been sucked in somewhat when I saw a picture of a baby blue 5 string - Im put off a little by how close the row of 5 stacked control knobs get to the potential plucking position of the G string.

I wasn't aware Outtoplayjazz had used one of these - I suspect that although interested in them he won't be dropping his Status or Sabre basses.

I'm one if those guys who had a great Jazz copy in the seventies and whilst manufacture if everything has improved since, the difference I felt when I left mine behind when I bought an expensive instrument back then (it was a pre EB Stingray brand new) was so great I simply sold the Jazz copy. Solidity, sound and feel were in a different league.

The biggest surprise here to me is the apparent break up of the MM/Fender alliance - no doubt he will still use his famous Fender but they do seem to be dropping all the good signature instruments (the MM 5 must be one of the best in their history).

Sign of the times I guess.
[/quote]

It was this line that threw me as I didn't think one needed a manual to play a Bass........:

"d) one which seems to have a manual with such poor English as to put it on a par with late 70s far eastern electronic goods."

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1425304674' post='2705986']

It was this line that threw me as I didn't think one needed a manual to play a Bass........:

"d) one which seems to have a manual with such poor English as to put it on a par with late 70s far eastern electronic goods."
[/quote]

I think I'm prob guilty of mistaking a quote from a website which was written in such a manner. I well remember being told in the early 80s with some gravity in a manual that a battery in my recently bought gizmo may 'blow off' if I misused the charger!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425307184' post='2706032']
I think I'm prob guilty of mistaking a quote from a website which was written in such a manner. I well remember being told in the early 80s with some gravity in a manual that a battery in my recently bought gizmo may 'blow off' if I misused the charger!!!
[/quote]

The poor grammar on their website was mentioned at the start of this thread. The bass doesn't come with a manual (at lest mine didnt).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425303586' post='2705965']
Not really - i am curious by the clamour for these -
[/quote]

My clamour was purely because this came along at the right time, for the right price. Ive been longing for a 5 string Jazz, at a low price, that didnt have large frets, and wasnt the Squier VM. When i saw what Sire was offering it seemed like the planets had all aligned and was too good to miss.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425308379' post='2706045']
My clamour was purely because this came along at the right time, for the right price. Ive been longing for a 5 string Jazz, at a low price, that didnt have large frets, and wasnt the Squier VM. When i saw what Sire was offering it seemed like the planets had all aligned and was too good to miss.
[/quote]

I don't think you have to justify your decision. They look like decent mid-range basses, made up to a quality rather than down to a price. I haven't played one mind, and as I own four J basses already it's unlikely I'll want/need one - but I can totally see where the interest in these basses is coming from! :)

I just didnt want to come across as someone being led by just hype (although that did help :).
Truth be told if the bass works out at the first gig ill sell my TRBX, as this sort of thing has been on the cards for a while anyway.

i must say its the most powerful Jazz bass ive ever played. loads of sustain, no noticeable dead spots and the bridge pup has more punch and body than the humbucker in the bridge position in my TRBX.

All in all a super Jazz, although i think ill keep my other Jazz for the more traditional vibe.

Just got a mail from Thomann that the problem with the bank transfer has finally been sorted,
so my 5 string V7 in TSB should be here on wednesday, just in time for our cd release party/gig on thursday. :)

Will report back to you after the gig to let you know how it performed and i will put some pictures up of course. ;)

Edited by Bassdude BE

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1425357016' post='2706475']
Dave, how does it compare tone wise to your Squier's? I keep looking at the V7 4 string in the same colour as yours, was just wondering how it compares to Squier's VM and CV jazzes as it sits between the 2 price wise.
[/quote]

Well my Squier CV jazz has Wizard pups in, so it's not a stock tone.
Just at home though my Zoom 60B I'd say the V7 is a lot more powerful. It's really full and deep sounding, although not quite as woody, not even in passive mode. Not a bad thing, it's still a jazz bass and not the worst ive had. I'd say it lacks a bit in the mids compared to my CV. I'd expect it to sound a bit cleaner in the low end through my rig at gigs as there is a lot,of adjustment in the EQ
Playing around with the active EQ gives you a lot of variation. Compared to my TRBX it's night and day as far as EQ goes. The TRBX can be tweaked and refinded using the EQ, whereas the V7 can be made to sound completely different.
I love the bridge pup. This is very punchy just on its own. It still growls like it should, but it has more pressence than any other bridge pup ive used, inc noiseless pups.

The V7 is just over 1lb heavier than the CV, and a bit longer. I've not had it on a strap yet but it seem to sit well on my lap. When I tried a Squier VM 5 jazz in the same position it seemed to have more neck dive.

It's hard to compare at the moment because the V7 has bright new strings and the CV has dead strings on it.

Considering they sell for less than the CV's I'd say it's worth a look if you want an active, modern sounding jazz bass.

Thanks. I think I'm convinced enough, time to get my arse in gear and photograph the Squier VM P bass I've got sat being unused upstairs and get it sold. That can go towards it and I'll feel like I don't have to justify it to myself if I'm moving something on! 😀

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1425392341' post='2706821']
Here's a review of the Sire Marcus Miller V7.

[url="http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2015/03/marcus-miller-v7-bass-from-sire-guitars/"]http://bassmusicianm...m-sire-guitars/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting - pleasing to see Marcus wants to be involved with entry level instruments to get kids started on basses.

Will be interested to see the video he plans to make - meantime all the backing music is from MM albums I have (played on his regular instruments). Are there any sound samples available??

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1425424830' post='2707350']

Are there any sound samples available??
[/quote]
This was posted earlier in the thread, the written review is in German but if you scroll down the page there's some sound samples:
http://m.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/sire-marcus-miller-v7-4-saiter-bass-test.html