Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

I've just sorted myself two free Sire gig bags direct from Sire on the Far East.. I've just got pay the £60 postage. I know it's a lot of money but I feel these bags are very good and they complete the Sire experience.
Sire have been great to deal with, they offered the bags free of charge after I asked how I can actually buy one and was a bit over enthusiastic about my V7. Thinking about getting a M3, hence the second bag.

Emailed him, got a quick and very friendly response thanking me profusely for buying the bass and apologising that unfortunately all the signed neckplates are now gone. Apparently each country's dealer got a random selection of V7s with the signed plates.
Ah well. Worth a try and it was good of him to reply so quickly.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1430560291' post='2762560']
In a way I'm glad mine didn't come with a singed plate. I appreciate the idea but I think they look ugly.
[/quote]

it's only on the back anyway...

So I finally got to play my V7 this morning, and the active circuit is just producing noise. I've changed the batteries and there's no difference. I'm going to take the control panel out. Is there anything I should look for which might cause the fault?

yeah I've sent Sire an email but I'm not expecting a response on a Sunday. I really don't fancy the workload of sending it back to Thomann. I'm sure if its purely a small electric issue Martin or the guys at the Gallery will sort it, and it won't cost too much. My main problem is I bought it as a bass to play when I visit my girlfriends parents in Stoke on Trent, so it would mean waiting until the next time I come up and bringing a gig bag to take it back to London and then once its fixed take it back up, then bring my gig bag back, none of which is going to be easy on busy Virgin trains.

Typical as I seem to be the only person who has had any sort of an issue, there was also a bit of hum from it in passive mode but i thought this would be normal as the pickups aren't hum cancelling?

Well that's sounds promising. Could be a bad joint that got moved when you took the plate off. I've try and narrow it down a bit more over the next few days, but at least you know it can work so it can't be too serious.

Ive had a few active gasses in the past and have always been paranoid about the battery or preamp going during a gig. It seems a lot safer to have a bass like the Sire (and my TRBX) that can work in passive mode even without a battery in it. In fact I made sure this was the case before ordering my V7.
Funny thing is I'd say I use passive mode a bit more than active mode now.

I agree, probably a dodgy/dry solder joint somewhere.
If there's noise and no bass sound, there's a signal path joint at issue probably.
If there's bass sound AND noise, probably a ground joint.

Si

Hello guys, a couple of days ago my Sire V7 4 WB came with the gig bag. The gig bag has at least $50 value here. Not bad at all. I tried my new Sire V7 4 White Blonde, overall the value of its bass might be over the price it has. The only bad thing was that the 2nd day I played it & I moved the blend knob to one pick up clockwise, it happened to be dead/ silent/ no sound at all. It happened twice and I had my bass tech changed the cables connected to the pick up inside. He said that it's not done neatly. The cable is somehow a bit fragile. The bass is ok until now. I informed this to Mickey Cho and he told me to send it back to the factory and he will pay all the expenses for that, this is nice point of Sire with the customer service. Btw it's not bad at all for the bass, but the gain power/ thickness of the sound still couldn't surpass my Carvin SB 5000, speaking of that both are using 2 batteries/ 18 volts. Overall sound I still love my SB 5000. But Sire is great for a back up bass.

Here you could check a bit of my Sire V7.
1. active mode
https://soundcloud.com/rama-lesmana-natanael/fullerton-avenue-by-brian-culbertson-sire-mm-v7-4-ash-maple-by-rama

2. passive mode
https://soundcloud.com/rama-lesmana-natanael/sire-mm-v7-4-ash-maple-by-rama-nathan-passive-mode

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1431009057' post='2766860']
I like the neck and fretboard on my sire v7 5er more than i did when i had a carvin sb5000,the carvin had banjo frets and too flat
[/quote]

I love banjo frets, but i find the frets on the V7 to be almost as nice. I hate those Med-jumbo frets. All my necks have small frets on them now.