Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1431526186' post='2772241']
Ive just had an email from Sire (China) to let me know they have just posted two gig bags out to me. Should be here in about a week.
Ill get some shots up as i haven't seen much abvout these bags so far.
[/quote] I'd quite like to get a gig bag for mine actually, how do you go about getting one - and how much? I've been playing my Sire with my reggae/ska outfit and I'm loving it and of course having 5 strings again-ultimate lazy playing for the reggae 😎 - Still can't believe how good these things are ...and I even like the active which is a rarity for me-not even got an incline to change anything from stock. 😀🎶

Edited by Raslee

I just asked them how i go about getting a couple and they offered to send me them, all i had to pay was postage. I guess i just caught them on a good day :-)

It looks like they will be be opening up an international web store so maybe you will be able to buy them at some point.

I agree, they punch well above their price. I cant see me buying another bass now, at least not unless they bring out a 5 string P bass built to this standard.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1431590568' post='2772795']
I agree, they punch well above their price. I cant see me buying another bass now, at least not unless they bring out a 5 string P bass built to this standard.
[/quote]

What's the B like on these, how does it compare to other 5s in the ~£300 price range?

The B is the best ive had since my Laklands. In fact i would say its as good as my old DJ5/55-01 and better than my Fender MIA P5 (all from memory though).
Ive also got a Yamaha TRBX 505, and while both basses are 34" there is a huge difference. The TRBX can be quite muddy and soft, the V7 is punchy and very well balenced with the other strings.
Both have the exact same strings on them.

Ive had a hard time making the transition to playing a 5 again. I hadn't played a 5 string for a good few years until i got my TRBX last Oct. Although the extra sting wasnt an issue i just wasnt playing it as it should be played, and i think it was because the notes on the B string just didnt cut it live, Not so with the V7 and now i can apreciate the advantages of a 5 string agian.

Very happy with it. I did have a quick go on a Squier V5 last year, but IIR it still didnt quite have the clarity that the V7 has.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431598919' post='2772935']
These are great basses at any price Steve, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)
[/quote]

It's looking like I'll be buying one soonish then. I'm fortunate to have already bagged a cheap 5 string with a great low B (and a Fishman piezo bridge!) but I want something more Jazz-like, was looking at the Cort GB series but these seem to be just what I was looking for.

Is there any real difference between the Ash and Alder apart from price?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1431599094' post='2772941']
Seeing a lot of these pop up for sale now on ebay to makes me wonder if they are so good why are they getting moved on so quick? or do you think people just bought them cos of the hype? I still am interested in trying one some time though
[/quote]

whenever there's a hype, there's a lot of impulse buying... and people later think "I don't really need this"...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431609076' post='2773145']
...whenever there's a hype, there's a lot of impulse buying... and people later think "I don't really need this"...
[/quote]

I impulse-bought one after falling victim to the hype - and it was my own hype that did the trick in the end! :lol:

Seriously though, I sold mine because I needed to scrape enough cash together to buy back my 1976 P bass - a very good reason, I think you'd agree. Otherwise I would certainly have kept it as insurance against future impulse-buying of Jazz Basses! :)

The Sire Jazz basses are exceptional value for money and I may even buy another when they're back in stock.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ranat' timestamp='1431634054' post='2773541']
Sire MM V7 4 ASH [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPXj-vssf6Q"]https://www.youtube....h?v=PPXj-vssf6Q[/url]
[/quote]

Enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing :)

The gig bags arrived this morning. I had a bit of a shock as they turned up in a Sire V7 box, for a moment i thought i got lucky :-)

Lovely bags. i'd price these in the sub £50 category. Very similar to the Thomanns bag i have (£22) and the Rockbag version i had that was much too heavy (£55).

Nice bit of branding on it but not over the top. Well happy.

I snapped up Discreet's bass last week. Having wallowed in all the hype - and then missed the boat with Thomann - I was all set for an anti-climax. Boring as it will be to hear again - I really can't believe they've delivered this for the price they have.

Won't repeat the extensive review on here - suffice to say despite minor flaws, the quality is where it counts. The natural resonance, and the Active range are superb. The neck is better finished than my 2014 Am Std Jazz.

Used this live in anger yesterday, it really delivers - I feel I'd be well into super Jazz territory before expecting more.

Lucky for Squier these aren't (currently) hanging side-by-side in the shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up (if its allowed).

Ive just placed a for sale add on here for one of my new Sire MM gig bags.

I thought i would post here as id rather it went to a Sire owner.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264086-sire-bass-gig-bag-for-sale-never-been-used/

• 1 month later...

Recently acquired a mm v7 4 string and am looking for a bit of advice, the thing is on the bridge pick up the pole pieces on the E and A strings seem to be too low, below the level of the pick up surround but all the other pole pieces are level, is this normal? Has any one else noticed this ?

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1437765032' post='2828949']
Anyone know where to get chrome knobs from for a sire v7?thanx
[/quote]

These should do the job..choose the chrome option

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/concentric-stacked-knob-set-flat-top-for-emg-pots"]http://www.allparts....op-for-emg-pots[/url]

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/flat-top-knobs-to-matches-stack-knobs-mk-3320-split-shaft"]http://www.allparts....320-split-shaft[/url]

Edited by dieseldalziel