Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1444659191' post='2884839']
So I asked the question...

And received the answer via Facebook PM yesterday...

Sire DO plan to release a P-bass. But can't say when or anything about the specs.
[/quote]

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! They can't, they're not allowed. I'll have to buy it, I'll have to. Oh jeez, I've got GAS already and I've not even seen it. AAAGGGGHHHH!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1444670242' post='2884966']
I'm seriously thinking about getting a swamp ash 5, these look great.
[/quote]

Don't. Don't think about it. Honestly. Just do it!

Edited by Bigwan

It's been a while since I played a 5 string Lakland, but my first reaction to my V7 was that it reminded me of my old Laklands.
Although the necks are different, to my fingers it was the closest I've come to a Lakland since my last Lakland. Could be more down to the fact that both makes use smaller frets. I love the smaller frets on my basses so this might be the only thing they have in common, other than they both have very playable necks.

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, I bought one too:

In a nutshell:

Dislike: the 7.25" radius, which makes no sense whatsoever in 2015, and even less on a 5 string.
LIke: seriously, everything else.

I really like having a tone knob. The rest of the preamp is cool, but I feel it is a bit to invasive. Sounds exceptionally good in flat, though, and I guess it can be a lifesaver in live situations.

In any event, it really does play a tad [i]too[/i] well for how much it cost.

So, now the honeymoon period is over for many of you, anyone got any regrets? I am on the lookout for a 5 string (only a few songs in our set need the low B string so it won't be my main bass). A V7 could be the answer. From what I've read here, the tuners would benefit from an upgrade and maybe the bridge? Is the a direct replacement for the bridge that anyone has carried out? Cheers guys.

I don't have any regrets, although I hardly ever use mine as I prefer 4 string, and P basses at the moment. I don't really fancy one of their 4 strings at the moment though as I'm covered for that and the spec is a bit different to what I'd prefer.

Not a great lover of active basses, so I tend to run my V7 in passive mode most of the time, but it's the best active bass I've owned and nice to have all that control onboard.
If there is one thing I'm not 100% on is the weight. It's not a big deal, but it's the heaviest bass I've owned and although wearing it isn't an issue carrying across London is a bit of a chore compared to my other basses.

What I love about this bass is its so cheap there is no pressure to sell it on if I'm not using it. It's also the first non Lakland bass I've owned in the past 12 years that I haven't felt any need to upgrade a single thing.

So yeah, it's a keeper, and when I get the urge to play a 5 string I have this rather than have to buy a new bass and then sell it on again.

Can't wait for the 5 string P bass that's supposed to be coming out at some point. Maybe that will get me back to 5 string again.

EDIT: I'm not sure I get the comment about the tuners and the bridge needing upgrading. It's certainly not a general consensus as far as I can see, and Ive not read many complaints. Some people like to tinker with things, but I've not had any intonation/set up issues and have never gone out of tune. What other reasons would there be other than just changing things for the sake of it?

Edited by dave_bass5

I sold my trusty old 90s wooden Status to get my V7 fiver, and I don't regret it in the slightest. Now the neck has settled down and relaxed a bit, I've done a proper setup and got the action down to my preferred fag-paper proportions. It's almost playing itself now. Sure the tuners aren't Hipshot-smooth, but they hold tune perfectly well. The bridge is nothing to write home about, but it's solid enough and nothing moves if you don't want it to.
The only thing I miss is a ramp -- I had a homemade one on the Status and had got used to it.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of changing the tuners on my V7 for some nice Hipshot HB6Cs. Does anyone know off the top of their head whether I'll need the 3/8 or 1/2 versions? I'm guessing 1/2 but obvs I need to be sure. Yes, I could measure up when I get home... but I'm an impatient sod and would like to order today if poss :lol:

• 2 weeks later...