Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

Nice bass, good choice fleabag.

I gigged my V7 on Saturday. My band doesn't gig as much as I would like and I've been using my Squier P bass of late as I don't mind if that one gets a knock or two. From now on though I'll be taking the V7 whenever possible. It sounded great and was so much nicer to play. Love that bass.

I'd say the guy playing for The Temptations was playing a V7. You can see the control plate has the 2 stack controls and there is a bit where you can just about make out the S on the headstock...then of course there is the headstock itself :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the V7 4. Anyone else have trouble with the E string saddle longitudinal screw bottoming out before you reach the right intonation? Sire responded to my fb message and said they'd send me a shorter screw. Bit daft. And the E and A strings saddles sit so far over the thru body stringing holes on the bridge they're unusable.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1488009019' post='3244933']
I have the V7 4. Anyone else have trouble with the E string saddle longitudinal screw bottoming out before you reach the right intonation? Sire responded to my fb message and said they'd send me a shorter screw. Bit daft. And the E and A strings saddles sit so far over the thru body stringing holes on the bridge they're unusable.
[/quote]

I just checked mine and i dont have either the screw bottoming out problem, or the saddle covering the through body hole problem

I can only assume its down to your choice of strings ... maybe ?

Just standard D'Addario XL 170 nickels. I have taken a picture. As you will see the A hole would take the string off at 90 degrees, breaking on the saddle, and the E hole is actually half under the saddle.

Edited by lownote12

I have never used string through option on my v7 but my saddles are only slightly forward compared to yours on the E and A ,but enough that the holes are properly exposed...mine has loads of sustain so i doubt i shall use string through option ,but would the string length alter the intonation and enable saddles to move forward ?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1488011046' post='3244943']
I just checked mine and i dont have either the screw bottoming out problem, or the saddle covering the through body hole problem

I can only assume its down to your choice of strings ... maybe ?
[/quote]

Do you have the 5 or the 4?

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1488016233' post='3244998']
I have never used string through option on my v7 but my saddles are only slightly forward compared to yours on the E and A ,but enough that the holes are properly exposed...mine has loads of sustain so i doubt i shall use string through option ,but would the string length alter the intonation and enable saddles to move forward ?
[/quote]

Even if they were properly exposed, it's still a hell of an angle for a string under tension. Can't imagine it's good for it.

Im pretty sure we covered this earlier in the thread (and there is another on the same topic) but the V7 string bridges are different to the 5 strings, in that it seem its almost impossible to string though the body on the 4 stings.
IIR Sire said they would address this quite a while ago.
I must admit ive not really kept up with the Sires so maybe they haven't. I do like the look of the P basses though, although i wont be getting one as im sorted for a P bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

Apologies, I should have searched. And no they haven't done anything about it, at least not by late 2016 when I bought mine.

It's curious that such care should have been taken to get so much right on these basses, and yet some glitches are in your face. So the V7 4 bridge is so badly designed you can only use two of the through stringing holes, and on my bass anyway you can't achieve full intonation on the E string because the longitudInal adjustment screw holes in the saddles are blind, limiting the travel of the screw. (Sire's response: "We can send you special shorter screws - oh you're in Europe, no we can't.")

And adjusting the truss rod is difficult because the travel of the allen key is restricted by the fact that the cut out in the pick guard is smaller than the cut out in the body below (Sire's response: "Well, take the pickguard off to adjust the truss rod" Really?!).

It's like the design team knocked off at 5 to 5 on the Friday: "Well, good job boys, cracking bass that, pub's open I think we'll leave it at that don't you?"
"But what about?...."
"Nah, don't sweat the little details, it'll do .. come on, pub's open"

Not knocking what are superb basses, just querying peculiar gaps in the design process.

Edited by lownote12

I agree, and if anything i would have thought they would get the 4 string right and not the 5, seeing as MM seems to always be pictured with the 4 string.

Maybe i was lucky with mine, but i cant fault it on anything other than the weight. Maybe they took extra care with the first run and then got over worked with then second batch.

I think it's like they always focused on the fiver as the mother ship. I had an early five and, to echo you, could not fault it apart from the weight. i've had two fours with niggles.

UPDATE Sire just emailed me to say they're alerted their manufacturing team to this issue. Lets see if anything happens.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1488050153' post='3245454']
Im pretty sure we covered this earlier in the thread (and there is another on the same topic) but the V7 string bridges are different to the 5 strings, in that it seem its almost impossible to string though the body on the 4 stings.
IIR Sire said they would address this quite a while ago.
I must admit ive not really kept up with the Sires so maybe they haven't. I do like the look of the P basses though, although i wont be getting one as im sorted for a P bass.
[/quote]

They make P basses now? I can't find them...

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1488178378' post='3246451']
Not quite on the market yet, it's a Pj. You'll likely find pix on their fb page - or here
[/quote]

Oh, thanks!

If they have chosen a not-so-thin neck, I can see myself being very interested Hmmm :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1488199894' post='3246664']
From their Facebook page
"The Sire company plans to release the P7 with a 41.8mm Pbass original neck width size. And also an interchangeable jazz neck of 38mm will be available for purchase"
[/quote]

:)

I can see the post with both neck's , but where does it actually say it's coming with a baseball necked P neck and an optional J neck rather than the other way round ?

It seems a touch daft , I dont want to buy an extra neck and If people wanted a PJ with a P neck when can pretty much get them anywhere , One with a J neck is a bit harder to come by.