Why become a member? ×

BSX Allegro v Yamaha SLB - 200

kedo

Hi Mr Bassman. I am used to playing a real DB. I tried a NS Design and hated it. No heel reference etc, but looking at The Yamaha, it has a traditional neck and heel. I didn't know you could change the pickup in the Yamaha. I would like a jazz sound as close to a real DB as possible. Any string recommendations?

[quote name='kedo' timestamp='1420657692' post='2651860']
Hi Mr Bassman. I am used to playing a real DB. I tried a NS Design and hated it. No heel reference etc, but looking at The Yamaha, it has a traditional neck and heel. I didn't know you could change the pickup in the Yamaha. I would like a jazz sound as close to a real DB as possible. Any string recommendations?
[/quote]

The Yamaha SLB200 has a slightly thinner / shorter neck & string length to the SLB100

Depends what sort of sound you're after, I've tried countless pickups & strings on both models.

Kolstein Heritage strings work well for me playing jazz

Pickups I've tried don't suit both models equally. The full circle didn't do it for me on the 100 but sounds good on the 200. Underwood works well on both but you'll probably need a buffer preamp depending on what you plug into. The Shadow SH950 works well, sounds darker and doesn't need a preamp. Gage realist won't fit unless you get the cello version. All the single sided wing slot types are unbalanced unless you fit two. The Wilson K4 which sounds amazing on my Mo Clifton doesn't shine on the SLB100, I've not tried it on a 200 as I don't have one anymore. Mag pickups are another option.
As for playability out of all the different models I've owned or played the SLB100 feels the closest to a real bass, the neck is lovely, it balances really well, just sits there, but it's quite heavy and getting the sound right can be a challenge.
Every other one I've played has issues with spinning or just not feeling right, apart from my Clifton, which I'm playing seated now. It's the best sounding solid EUB I've come across. It's not the best looking but it ticks more boxes and gets more compliments on the sound than any other I've had.

I've posted this before but this guy Max used Kolstein Heritage strings with a full circle i.i.r.c.
[media]http://youtu.be/wkKQFRioZQQ[/media]

His Yammy sounds better than a lot of real basses that I've heard

http://youtu.be/5NXWMAC6rcI

Edited by Mr Bassman