Why become a member? ×

Heat shrink tubing

Osiris

[size=4][font=Calibri]I'm thinking of getting some heat shrink tubing to mark my cables up but have a couple of questions.[/font]

[font=Calibri]From what I understand most of what's available has a shrink ratio of 2 to 1, so it effectively halves in size i.e. a 12 mm bore tube will shrink down to 6 mm bore.[/font]
[font=Calibri]Is this right?[/font]

[font=Calibri]How much does it stretch (if at all) before you shrink it?[/font]
[font=Calibri]i.e. can you stretch it over a Neutrik plug or would you need to remove the plug, slide the tubing over the cable and then re-solder the plug back on?[/font]

[font=Calibri]How exactly do you shrink it?[/font]
[font=Calibri]I've read that you can use a hair dryer but some of the tubes quote a 70 degree centigrade heat required and I don't think many hair dryers would run that hot, would they?[/font]

[font=Calibri]Any words of wisdom, or suitable alternative methods for marking my cables appreciated. [/font][/size]

Edited by Osiris

Most heatshrink is 2:1, though there are some that are 3:1. You are right about 12mm shrinking to 6mm, etc.

It doesn't stretch at all, so connector removal is required.

I don't think hairdryer would get hot enough, a normal heatgun with a curved reflector is what I use.

When I mark cables in this way, I use either white or yellow heatshrink, and write the id on the heatshrink with a fine permanent marker before shrinking.

hth :-)

Edited by planer

I tend to use a cigarette lighter...*gh*. It's great stuff but does need a little planning if doing multiple connections. I've lost count of the number of times I've finished a soldering job and realised I hadn't threaded on the heatshrink.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1420728535' post='2652686']
I tend to use a cigarette lighter...*gh*. It's great stuff but does need a little planning if doing multiple connections. [b]I've lost count of the number of times I've finished a soldering job and realised I hadn't threaded on the heatshrink[/b].
[/quote]

Reminds me of the times I have done the soldering then found I haven't put the plug casing on. A real pain when you have just done a Din plug.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1420732431' post='2652766']
Reminds me of the times I have done the soldering then found I haven't put the plug casing on. A real pain when you have just done a Din plug.
[/quote]

...or a 78 pin high-density D connector (ask me how I know - doh!)

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1420727182' post='2652649']
[font=Calibri]I'm thinking of getting some heat shrink tubing to mark my cables up but have a couple of questions.[/font]

[font=Calibri]From what I understand most of what's available has a shrink ratio of 2 to 1, so it effectively halves in size i.e. a 12 mm bore tube will shrink down to 6 mm bore.[/font]
[font=Calibri]Is this right?[/font]

[font=Calibri]How much does it stretch (if at all) before you shrink it?[/font]
[font=Calibri]i.e. can you stretch it over a Neutrik plug or would you need to remove the plug, slide the tubing over the cable and then re-solder the plug back on?[/font]

[font=Calibri]I've read that you can use a hair dryer but some of the tubes quote a 70 degree centigrade heat required and I don't think many hair dryers would run that hot, would they?[/font]

[font=Calibri]Any words of wisdom, or suitable alternative methods for marking my cables appreciated. [/font]
[/quote] Dont buy any mate I have some here if you want it :) easy way is to take the plug off and resolder it back on though anyway I got all the stuff and it is yours if you want it

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1420727182' post='2652649']
[size=4][font=Calibri]How much does it stretch (if at all) before you shrink it?[/font]

[font=Calibri]I've read that you can use a hair dryer but some of the tubes quote a 70 degree centigrade heat required and I don't think many hair dryers would run that hot, would they?[/font][/size]
[/quote]

If you get it big enough, you could just shrink it onto the plug body. I do this with power connectors - I run a jack-jack with two DC power extensions cable-tied to it from amp to effects and wireless, and as they're different voltages but the same size plug, one DC lead has blue heatshrink on the connectors at each end and the other has red.

I use a boiling kettle to shrink it - just hold the switch down or use a non-automatic one. Force of habit from using steam to shrink wine bottle capsules on...

If you put it on the plugs instead of the cables, with an inch or two over the cable as well it makes a good strain relief. I shrink it by sliding the side of a soldering iron along it - not the bit, the side, just keep it moving .

The larger bore stuffs much cheaper from electrical wholesalers than maplins btw.

Thanks for the help, people!

Unfortunately I don't really have the time or inclination to whip all the plugs off, add some tubing and then re-solder everything back up, but tauzero's idea of getting some oversized tubing and shrinking it down sounds like a plan.
By the way, do you ever have any problems with condensation or water affecting the cables if you're using a kettle to supply the heat???

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1420800773' post='2653497']
By the way, do you ever have any problems with condensation or water affecting the cables if you're using a kettle to supply the heat???
[/quote]

Unless it's really a one-off, I'd be wary of doing that, I'd rather use a gas hob, lighter, soldering iron or any other form of "dry" heat rather than scalding my fingers over a kettle only to end up with steam inside the connector causing corrosion later.

You can get a basic heat gun for a tenner from screwfix (or a slightly better one for under £20), so I'd really reccomend just getting one (check screwfix, toolstation or even argos). Toolstation also do heat-shrink at reasonable prices FYI.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1420808541' post='2653673']
You can get a basic heat gun for a tenner from screwfix (or a slightly better one for under £20), so I'd really reccomend just getting one (check screwfix, toolstation or even argos).
[/quote]

+1

I've used various things to heat up shrink sleeve over the years and I've found using a gun by far the best way to go.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1420808541' post='2653673']
Unless it's really a one-off, I'd be wary of doing that, I'd rather use a gas hob, lighter, soldering iron or any other form of "dry" heat rather than scalding my fingers over a kettle only to end up with steam inside the connector causing corrosion later.

You can get a basic heat gun for a tenner from screwfix (or a slightly better one for under £20), so I'd really reccomend just getting one (check screwfix, toolstation or even argos). Toolstation also do heat-shrink at reasonable prices FYI.
[/quote]

If its a one off, hairdryer on full blast 2" away and keep it still works fine.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1420800773' post='2653497']
[/quote]

No. It's pure H[sub]2[/sub]O and it'll evaporate off reasonably quickly.

i use the same methiod as icastle except i write the lables by hand, if you want coloured tubing then higher ratio's are available, 4:1 is available in clear and 3:1 is availble in colours,

i buy mine from [url="http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/"]http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/[/url] they also do 6:1 ratio in black with adhesive lining which is excellent for strain relief.

i eiyther use a heat gun (on a gas soldering iron kit) or I use a zippo as i can light it and stand it on the desk giving me 2 hands to hold and turn the cable. as long as you keep is a sensible distance away and keep it moving then it's ok.

Matt

I should add that I use the kettle system because it's handy (kettle's ten feet from where I do my soldering and other electronic playing around). I've used a cigarette lighter in the past. There is no one right answer. Just don't burn anything, including yourself.

Also, be aware that there are different wall thicknesses available.
I have found that the light weight ones split circumferentially after a few months of use, but if you go too thick it ends up too rigid so you just move the stress point from where the cable leaves the plug to where it leaves the heatshrink.

And, of course, if you take 12mm and shrink it down to 6mm the resulting wall thickness will be grater than if you take 9mm and shrink it down to 6mm.

Not a great fan of the glue lined stuff as strain relief as the glue itself, and the fact that it does glue to the cable, again makes it too rigid.

All IMHO of course.