Why become a member? ×

Gibson drop the traditional 3 point bridge

clauster

At least on the SG Bass 2015. Looks much more versatile (although I still prefer the Supertone)

[url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/SG-Standard-Bass.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/SG-Standard-Bass.aspx[/url]

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1420735638' post='2652815']
I wonder if this will inspire Rickenbacker to have a bit of a rethink.
[/quote]

Just demonstrates the difference in corporate mentality - Babicz make a modern, improved update on Gibson's traditional design, Gibson start factory-fitting them.

Hipshot make a modern, improved update to Rickenbacker's traditional design - Rickenbacker threaten legal action.

:lol:

Jon.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1420735638' post='2652815'] I think the Thunderbird 2015 bass has the same bridge. Not too clear as the Thunderbird bass bridge is black and harder to make out. [/quote]

The description says it has a Babicz bridge too...

It appears that the new bridge will give 'better' height and lateral location adjustment. Now remind me what the main issue with the traditional 3 and 2 point bridge is, namely the anchor to saddle distance is too short on the E string. Some of us have used / made a bass bar (or used old saddle or nut) as a spacer to overcome this issue. Next look closely at the E string anchor to saddle distance on the Gibson image. Notice where the string winding sits.

John Birch had an elegant solution to this one, a mix of the 2 point and fender BBOT. The one on my SG bass was stainless steel, nicely made.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1420741506' post='2652926']
Really glad to see the back of the 3 point bridge...worst piece of bass hardware of all time.
[/quote]
My opinion as well. The one on my EB3 is bordering on useless. In fact, from a design point of view a lot about my EB3 is pretty rubbish.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1420763132' post='2653290']
I bet its not a very cheap retro-fit :(
[/quote]
It's not available to buy yet, (mid-January, apparently) but it's probably not going to be much dearer than the standard Fender-fit Babicz - £79.00 from Bass Centre.

Not really too expensive then, probably end up a bit cheaper than the Supertone.

J.

[quote]
[b]Babicz Full Contact Hardware® Bridge: Easier adjustment and increased sustain[/b]
Nothing gives string sustain like a full contact bridge, but it's also easier to adjust for precise intonation and your ideal action
[/quote]

I've never, ever had a problem with sustain on my Thunderbird.

[quote][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/?ref_=tt_trv_qu"][b]Nigel Tufnel[/b][/url]: The sustain, listen to it.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/?ref_=tt_trv_qu"][b]Marty DiBergi[/b][/url]: I don't hear anything.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/?ref_=tt_trv_qu"][b]Nigel Tufnel[/b][/url]: Well you would though, if it were playing.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[[i]Imitating Vibrato[/i]][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#70579D][b][url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/?ref_=tt_trv_qu"]Nigel Tufnel[/url][/b][/color]: You can go have a bite and...[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[[i]vibrato[/i]][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/?ref_=tt_trv_qu"][b]Nigel Tufnel[/b][/url]: ... you'd still be hearing that.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Saddles drop out when string removed.

Geeky observation: they give details of the pickup windings turns, wire gage, DC resistance, resonance and Q factor. Q is meaningless without specifying a frequency, and if it is 1000Hz, the inductance is 7.47H and 5.97H

(sorry I'm a geek)

I have nothing particularly constructive to say but I'd love a Thunderbird. They probably wouldn't suit my style of play or sound but they look so damn cool. They can go on the waiting list with a black-black-maple P, YoB-bass Streamer & a (one day) Wal Mk1.

I'm keen to give the new Babicz three point replacement a bash. My dislike for the three point bridge is pretty full on - recently I had the audacity to stretch the strings on my Gibson Midtown Standard and as I did one of the threaded inserts pulled out of the body a bit, chipping the finish as it did so. I managed to take it out, put it in again and it stayed down (because of not being put back exactly the same way it came out probably) but I was pretty annoyed.

It's a blatantly weak piece of engineering... there's no way a simple "bent bit of tin" style bridge of ample proportions (a little thicker cast or milled style with grooves for the saddles) would not do better in a wide range of ways. Using a babicz bridge like on the EB bass would be a better idea, the three point design is adding complications that help in no way.

That's my understanding. I've never had to live with one for any length of time.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1420816384' post='2653832']
I love string changing with a 3 point bridge. Hunt the saddle time again....
[/quote]

Wrap an elastic band around them and the problem is solved. A bit of a bodge, but it works. I used a posh black one rather than your standard brown one.

What I can't get over is the prices! Ouch.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1420822386' post='2653942']
I'm keen to give the new Babicz three point replacement a bash. My dislike for the three point bridge is pretty full on.
[/quote]

Likewise. I'm down to three Thunderbirds now and am waiting with baited breath to retro-retro fit a Babicz on one of them.
P

About bloody time! I HATE that bridge; part of the reason I'll be selling my epi t-bird at some point. Until looking just now, didn't realise how much had been change on the 2015 thunderbird. Like the new bridge, and the change of pickups is interesting. Even though I've just said I'll be selling my thunderbird, I'd be interested in getting one of these - if the price wasn't so high! Also, am I missing something with the switches? You have a volume control for each pickup, then the switches that activate/de-activate each pickup. How pointless is that?! It's adding an extra feature for the sake of it.