Why become a member? ×

Olympia Flat wound strings

Thunderbird

• 2 weeks later...

The strings arrived so ive lashed them down onto a newly built p bitsa, 1st impressions when opening the pack, are they rotos? i put one of each side by side and they look and feel very very similar but thats where the similarity ends, once strung on the p (previously strung with a set of Fender flats) i had to raise the saddles and slacken the truss rod a touch as they were dragging on the fretboard, theyre lower tension than the similar gauge fender which are in turn lower than rotos, win win as far as im concerned, they feel very nice like most flats do. Sound wise, not quite as bright as the Fenders probably due to the tension but perfectly acceptable and theyre certainly not as dull and thuddy as either status or picato. Would I buy more, damn right i would for the price i think theyre a winner!

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1422572942' post='2674335']
The strings arrived so ive lashed them down onto a newly built p bitsa, 1st impressions when opening the pack, are they rotos? i put one of each side by side and they look and feel very very similar but thats where the similarity ends, once strung on the p (previously strung with a set of Fender flats) i had to raise the saddles and slacken the truss rod a touch as they were dragging on the fretboard, theyre lower tension than the similar gauge fender which are in turn lower than rotos, win win as far as im concerned, they feel very nice like most flats do. Sound wise, not quite as bright as the Fenders probably due to the tension but perfectly acceptable and theyre certainly not as dull and thuddy as either status or picato. Would I buy more, damn right i would for the price i think theyre a winner!
[/quote] Nice one Jeff think I will give them a whirl :) I really liked the Status flats but have had the dead E string issue (twice now) like lots of other people, Status are great changing the dead string but it is a hassle I could do without at 20 odd quid a set.