Why become a member? ×

Overall Tension

Owencf

The tailpiece and tail wire will be in tension roughly as above but the neck will be in compression as a result of the forces exerted by the strings. There will also be a bending moment where the neck joins the body. It will be acting as a cantilever.

Sorry to be a tad pedantic.

It is easy, sometimes that's just how things are. :)

E.g. from the back of a pack of D'Addario classical guitar strings that I happen to have here:

1 E 15.3 lbs / 6.94 kg
2 B 11.6 lbs / 5.26 kg
3 G 12.1 lbs / 5.49 kg
4 D 15.6 lbs / 7.08 kg
5 A 15.0 lbs / 6.80 kg
6 E 14.0 lbs / 6.35 kg

25.5" (648mm) scale length used for tension measurements.

There is a total of 83.6 lbs tension trying to haul the bridge off the face of the guitar. I seem to remember the phosphor-bronze wound steel strings on my archtop with floating bridge gave tensions for at least two pitches. The physics difference is that instead of hauling the bridge off the pressure tries to crush it through the face and yank the anchor out of the tail. Both attempt to make the guitar fold up into a V.

Ed: pedantry above is quite correct.

Edited by Michael J

Ok so going with Daddario Orchestral Mediums
the strings pull a grand total of 266.9lbs...thats kinda worrying when its only a few inches off my face.

Naaaahhhhh, was more a curiosity as i was working with some Hydraulic cylinders n got to thinking about retained pressure and what would happen if it was charged

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, most manufacturers have not published their tension specs. The notable exception is Thomastik-Infeld, which have become the standard by which all manufacturers should publish their specs. Yes, if you know the tension of each string, you just add them together for the tension for the set. The T-I string catalog is online as a downloadable pdf.