Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1421097442' post='2657179']
I had a USA Fender Jazz, black with black pickguard and rosewood neck. It was a 2005 I think with the S1 switching thing, even though I never used that feature. A good solid bass that never ever let me down and did all kinds of mileage with me. So although it's not a 60's P bass, or anything near as special as that, I wish I still had it!
[/quote]

I am buying it back again next week! Result!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1426163430' post='2715064']

[b][size=6]I GOT IT BACK!!![/size][/b]

[size=3]It just arrived. It's really made my day![/size]

[size=3]I haven't played fretless for ages so now the hard work begins again on intonation.[/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1426166097' post='2715122']

I am buying it back again next week! Result!
[/quote]

Congrats fella's!!!!

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1420929658' post='2655289']
A fretless Wal custom Mk1, it had birdseye maple facings and an unlined ebony fingerboard. It looked and sounded beautiful, but I got bored with bassplaying when the band I was in split so I traded it for a red strat and a vox at a shop (Kings Music?) in Sunderland in 1989 just before I left home.
I should have been hit over the head with a stocking full of sh*t!
I miss it more than Fleagle the beagle, who obviously was a dog, and my best friend!
[/quote]
I feel your pain. I did the same with pretty much the same bass, but with different facings. Fingerboard was only lined as far as the E string.

Got rid of my fretted Pro IIE at the same time. D'oh!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1421097442' post='2657179']
I had a USA Fender Jazz, black with black pickguard and rosewood neck. It was a 2005 I think with the S1 switching thing, even though I never used that feature. A good solid bass that never ever let me down and did all kinds of mileage with me. So although it's not a 60's P bass, or anything near as special as that, I wish I still had it!
[/quote]

I got it back last week! I am chuffed to bits with it. The bloke who had it was pretty good at setting basses up and it plays better than when I sold it.

It is a keeper now!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='Brother Jones' timestamp='1422651248' post='2675312']
There was a point in the vey late eighties/early nineties, when I definitely remember Wal customs being advertised in Loot, or the back pages of Sounds for around £400. Perhaps this thread needs its mirror - "Basses you seriously should have bought"....
[/quote]
I paid £330 for my Pro 2E in 1986. Needless to say, I still have it and it's going nowhere :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427546012' post='2731598']
I don't really get people who mourn a sale of a bass..
If it was that good then why sell it in the first place..?
[/quote]

Grass is always greener...

Also, sometimes people have to eat or maintain the roof over their heads more pressingly than they need to keep possession of a bass.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1427546336' post='2731602']

Grass is always greener...

Also, sometimes people have to eat or maintain the roof over their heads more pressingly than they need to keep possession of a bass.
[/quote]

Yep, in a perfect world I would have kept every bass I have ever owned. Sometimes though times are hard and needs must. If you have never been in that situation then I guess you wouldn't understand. Also, some basses are sold when they are not being used because of the type of music you play, then things change and you wish you had them again.

I do wonder why people who dont have a 'lost dog' are posting here. To say you don't get people (4 pages worth) who wish they had an old bass back is out of order.

Oh, I've had some dogs...well, relatively, but I think I learnt pretty quickly what I wanted
in a bass so they got less doggy after each one.

I also don't tend to change what I do for the gig... so don't need loads of different basses to do it.
I've done 'modern'...and have no plans to go back to it.

I guess it depend if you think you know what you want and are doing..?

I get an onward and upward curve and that is what Gas is for but not a u-turn?

At the time I didn't need my lost dog and it never got played, as it didn't suit the bands I was in. Now I'm doing a lot of different stuff and would like a Stingray back in my collection. To be honest, any good Stingray would probably do, but knowing I had a good one at the time and let it go makes me want it back. Unlikely it's gonna happen though!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427559421' post='2731759']
Oh, I've had some dogs...well, relatively, but I think I learnt pretty quickly what I wanted
in a bass so they got less doggy after each one.

I also don't tend to change what I do for the gig... so don't need loads of different basses to do it.
I've done 'modern'...and have no plans to go back to it.

I guess it depend if you think you know what you want and are doing..?

I get an onward and upward curve and that is what Gas is for but not a u-turn?
[/quote]

I'm not sure if GAS comes into what is being discussed here, this is like the thread you should read if you have GAS because it might help you realise the grass isn't always greener as neepheid says!

Nostalgia plays a big part too, it is like having an old bass is like keeping an important photo or letter or memento of a memorable time and place. The same fella who I have just bought my Jazz back from is on the hunt for his old 60's Precision, he had to sell it in the late 70's when he lost his job, he gigged it all through the late 60's and 70's. He looks on eBay, Gumtree and Preloved all the time to see if it turns up. Try telling him that you don't understand why anyone would want an old bass back and I am sure he would change your mind.

Edited by interpol52

My old Charvel 3B hockey club I bought new in 1986...
I have no picture of it, but it looked exactly like this one:

Neck thru, nice profiled neck, mega jumbo frets. I used it some years until the pearl flake hockey club 80's ideal kinda worn out. I miss it a LOT; I know the guy who owns it now, but he won't part with it.
I changed the pups to EMG's, since the original preamp wasn't too good. It became one of the best basses I've ever owned. Period.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1427577439' post='2731995']
Try telling him that you don't understand why anyone would want an old bass back and I am sure he would change your mind.
[/quote]

Unlikely..... I'd probably be thinking he doesn't know what he is doing and so he defaults to what he thinks he knows...
Tell me what the bass is and there might be one or two genuine mistakes, but if they sold it in the 70's they would have sold it for pennies...
I sold a 75 Jazz for £250 and it would be worth £1600 today in some ones mind...but if you think I'd pay that for that dog of dogs, IMO..you must be barking..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427622907' post='2732316']

Unlikely..... I'd probably be thinking he doesn't know what he is doing and so he defaults to what he thinks he knows...
Tell me what the bass is and there might be one or two genuine mistakes, but if they sold it in the 70's they would have sold it for pennies...
I sold a 75 Jazz for £250 and it would be worth £1600 today in some ones mind...but if you think I'd pay that for that dog of dogs, IMO..you must be barking..
[/quote]

Yeah the fella is wrong, we are all wrong on here, may as well lock the thread now because JTUK thinks we don't know what we are doing. He knows best it seems. Or alternatively he could post on a thread he has an interest in and stop trolling this one.