Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

I'd love to get my Fender Precision back....I sold it in about 1989 and have kicked myself ever since.

Easy to spot - it's black/black with a maple board....and has my National Insurance no scratched on the underside of the scratchplate !

Edited by ahpook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a candy apple red Patrick Eggle New York bass which I was very lucky to win in a Melody Maker competition in 1995. I remember it took an age to get hold of it because the features ed had taken it out on tour with his band. Anyway it eventually arrived in mint condition and I loved it; amazing tones, great neck, lightweight, cool Ricky-esqe styling and superb build quality. I loved that bass. Sadly a couple of years later I needed some money and I had to let either the Eggle or my Silver Series Precision go. By dint of being more versatile, the P Bass won. I can't remember how much I sold the Eggle for now, but I wonder what happened to it. I'd certainly like another one someday.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1420988610' post='2655844']
There's only ever been one and it was this one

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/Rickenbackers/DSC01673Large.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/Rickenbackers/DSC01668Large.jpg.html"][/url]

This is the Blueboy colour of the year but there were a batch of them that went out green. The most beautiful bass i have ever owned
[/quote]

I feel your pain, that is actually making me dizzy with GAS!!! I'm shaking.....

Two years ago I sold my 1995 Stingray 5 to my friend Tom and obviously it was a mistake. I make offers to buy her back everytime we see each other but there's no way right now. Bought three different Stingrays instead but none of them compares to her. I just have to wait if Tom changes his mind :)

None for me. I wanted to get my 78 fender jazz back and managed to do it few years ago but sold it again after a year. There was a reason of selling it at the first place apparently :) It was too heavy to play at gigs.
So there are no regrets at all at the moment.

Edited by GCYPbass

• 1 year later...

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1421489575' post='2661795']
Just two - a Westone Spectrum Series II which was my first bass in 1990 (or there abouts...) and a Yamaha RBX800AF in pearl white that I bought in '92 whilst at Uni. I sold both to buy a five string Westfield which was OK but never really fit. Now, after 25 years of playing I have moved from a series of small amps to a GK MB500 + 2x10 cab and I wonder what those two basses would sound like. They both played well, as far as I can remember, but never sounded great through the amps I had. I started out with a Laney 65W with a 15" cone which generally just sounded like mud and after I got rid of that I've only ever had small 35 to 50W amps - until the GK. Would love to get my hands on the (or a) Yamaha RBX800AF fretless in particular but very very rarely see them come up - anyone got one?
[/quote]

Resurrecting a zombie thread but I actually have a yamaha rbx800af in pearl white. I bought it about... God 20 years ago? Used it maybe once. It's been sitting in my music room at my parents house for the last 20 years. Id sell it to you anzoid but it's in Sydney Australia (just like I am now!)

Edited by specitim

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1421083216' post='2656942']
I think we've been here before.

My Travis Bean 2000 bass. #222. It was on eBay about 18 months ago. I mean, it played like a dog and was back-breakingly heavy, but it was like a piece of art and was stunningly beautiful.

Would I buy it back given the chance? Nope. Would I keep it if it was still mine? Yes.
P
[/quote]

Following on from this, the new owner posted to the Travis Bean Resource about something, I replied, a year later, he replied.

The bass is in Oxford... I'm hoping to cop a feel of it when we play there in September. Woop.

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1499108917' post='3329272']
specitim - how much for shipping from Australia then? :D
[/quote]

Lol no idea mate. Also due to the rosewood fretboard suspect it falls foul of these new CITES laws. If you really are interested in the bass though PM me! I need to come back to London before the end of the year so we could possibly work something out :)

Very foolishly sold my Steve Smith custom "EB-2" semi to Francis (3below) of this forum around 4 - 5 years ago for reasons I can't even remember - the only sale I genuinely regretted in 100's of deals over the years. Total gent that he is, Francis agreed to trade it back to me last month, so happy bunny here :)

Couple of pics 2nd post down: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243502-semi-hollows/page__st__60__p__2533666__hl__steve%20smith%20semi__fromsearch__1#entry2533666
As far as I know, a complete one-off from the late '80's. Steve Smith was a luthier for Goodfellow in their early days, then set up on his own in Southend doing repairs and custom builds (here's another: scroll down page for pics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Steve-Smith-lined-fretless-headless-6-string-Heart-Heartwood-Goodfellow-/280959868104?_trksid=p4340.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29%26meid%3D1960185178530633263%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D1013%26rk%3D3%26 ) - highly respected by the players he did work for but sadly no longer with us

This (with TI flats) and a '77 Ovation Magnum 1 fretless (with s/s rounds) is all I'm using these days

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1499294977' post='3330645']
Greg, the reason for selling at the time was a mandolin. Glad that you are enjoying having it back. Now if I can only find the 58 EB2 I p/xd for a precision in 1977........
[/quote]

Ah! It probably was - my mandolin GAS has known no bounds recently, traded a Wal for one recently! :)
Hope you're getting on with the Jazz bass Francis. I feel your pain with the EB-2 - they were generally regarded as old tosh back in the '70's, but I've always liked 'em

I'd have my old Honeyburst 3 band Stingray back in an instant if it was available.

I sold it to Bigthumb of this parish a couple of years back when I was selling everything to buy a Wal. Well, the Wal didn't get used and I wish I'd stuck to what I had back then. I think Bigthumb sold it on but I have messaged him to ask, just in case he still has it. :)