Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

Had a Schack Basic Unique 5-String for more than 15 years. Than I started to severly modifying it (Music Man PUs in neck and bridge position). Finally I sold it to get the real thing: A Music Man StingRay. Now I miss it like hell (but would not want to give the Ray back).

Not a bass, but my first 'real' guitar, a Hofner President E2 thin, Florentine cutaway...

...swapped/sold foolishly for a Burns Bison 6-string. This was '67, regretted it ever since. If ever it or its twin shows up, I'll be looking hard at my piggy bank..!

I had a USA Fender Jazz, black with black pickguard and rosewood neck. It was a 2005 I think with the S1 switching thing, even though I never used that feature. A good solid bass that never ever let me down and did all kinds of mileage with me. So although it's not a 60's P bass, or anything near as special as that, I wish I still had it!

Tokai Jazz basses. 1982. Candy Apple Red, fretted, put a chrome scrachplate on it, real sexy. Fretless Sunburst, just lovely to play. Both sold early 90's because I was skint. And the kicker: Ibanez Ric copy. Bought in 1980 for £70, put Schaller tuners and a really solid Kahler bridge on it. Sold the Ibanez to a good mate who bought it for his brother-nice gesture. Have since replaced the fretless with a VM fretless, the Candy Apple Red with a Geddy Lee and the Ibanez with a European made copy. Thank god I didn't buy the Wal I played in some shop in Soho 30 years ago for peanuts and then sold it on-that would have been a gutter. That was a trully great bass.

when i was 14 i scored a gibson g3 off german ebay for £350.

stupidly a year or so later i swapped it at a shop for a burns bison.... huge mistake!

but 3 years or so ago i saw it on ebay in this country and just had to buy it back, even tho it was twice what i paid before.
and sadly the original hard case had disappeared down the line.

i found the bloke who owned it between me owning it, on youtube, as he put a few vids up with it, but he hasnt logged in for years, and thus not replied to any messages. :(

Only 2 from around 1980! I had a mid 60s Epiphone Rivoli in Natural that was a looker. Bought and sold when they had no hip value at all. Would be fun for the occasional outing and videos/photos.
I do reallly miss my black Shergold Marathon though. My first proper bass. I 'upgraded' to a '68 sunburst P bass that was actually a bit of a dog. My current 2007 Precision would kick its arse in every department. I wouldn't want that one back.

There was a time, ten years or so ago, when I owned a pair of Steinberger L2s (one fretted, one fretless) that were just a few serial numbers apart. Both of them were in really good condition, complete with the often lost plug-in leg rest. I sold them both (far too cheaply). What a stupid arse I was. What was I thinking?

P

This modified Status Energy

I know someone on here has it and I'd love to get it back. I sold it to Bamboo and I know he sold it on.

At the time I didn't have the money to buy it back and I can't remember who bought it from him :(

It was a fretted bass, but it was in dire need of a refret and when I spoke to Status I ended up asking them to make a brand new fretless neck for it.

If anyone has it and wants to sell it, then please let me know!

Just two - a Westone Spectrum Series II which was my first bass in 1990 (or there abouts...) and a Yamaha RBX800AF in pearl white that I bought in '92 whilst at Uni. I sold both to buy a five string Westfield which was OK but never really fit. Now, after 25 years of playing I have moved from a series of small amps to a GK MB500 + 2x10 cab and I wonder what those two basses would sound like. They both played well, as far as I can remember, but never sounded great through the amps I had. I started out with a Laney 65W with a 15" cone which generally just sounded like mud and after I got rid of that I've only ever had small 35 to 50W amps - until the GK. Would love to get my hands on the (or a) Yamaha RBX800AF fretless in particular but very very rarely see them come up - anyone got one?

I still kind of regret selling three basses.

First up: my main bass for quite a few years, Yamaha TRB5II. Not a brilliant bass but very decent and I still love the feel of those Yammies. I don't want this one back necessarily, but a similar bass would do. I don't know who owns this bass currently.

I used to have two TRB5's. The second one was a 2nd generation TRB5, which was refinished by a previous owner and given a new fretless ebony fingerboard. No idea of the current owner.

I regret selling this a little bit. It's a great bass (the little bit legendary Skarbee bass) and I loved playing it, but it was of no use in my playing with some decent other basses in my collection, and I got a pretty darn fantastic De Gier Bebop 5 in return. But boy, are those Celinder basses good. I want one again. Someday. I sold this one to a Basschat member, I guess he still has it.

And last but not least: the best deal I ever made. I got this all original JV Precision for €75, and it included a horrible Fender amp, Blue Note strap, pretty decent cable and stand. I sold it to buy a 5 string Lakland. I sold the Lakland for a Gretsch hollowbody. Sold that for a Fender Road Worn Precision. So I shouldn't have sold the JV. Basically, I sold it to buy a Precision. The guy I sold it to still owns it, plays it and loves it. As he should.

[attachment=181796:me 1980ish.jpg]

would love to have this back,gigged her for years swapped it on a whim to the London bass center for a 5 string,regretted it for years twas a Ric 4005 ex show model,has the name Ralf in the back by the pots. the pic about 1980ish,

Edited by merlin

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1421794651' post='2665236']
Ibanez atk 405 ..why oh why did I sell this ...like hens teeth now
[/quote]

I had one of those for a while. Spectacularly good instrument for the money, and probably the best recorded sound I've ever had. The newer ATKs just aren't as good.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1421962426' post='2667270']

I had one of those for a while. Spectacularly good instrument for the money, and probably the best recorded sound I've ever had. The newer ATKs just aren't as good.
[/quote]agree mate ...I bought a atk 805 ...it's not the same beast ...nice looking but that's as far as it goes ..

Edited by patrikmarky

I'd rather like my old Hayman 40/40 back, mainly for sentimental reasons. PXed it for a Precision in the late 70s/early 80s (which I'm not sure was the best thing I could have done), and then traded that in for a Warwick Thumb that I still have.

In 1998 I had a 1970 (my YoB) American Jazz. It was a lovely bass - very well put together, and possibly the best Jazz I've ever played. I sold it because the woman I was pursuing at the time wanted me to go on holiday with her.. :blush:

At one point a few years ago I had my ideal collection - a Sadowsky Metro 5, a Sadowsky UV70 four string, a Zon Sonus fretless four, and a Sonus fretted four.I just gradually let them all go.

I had some kind of MTD...one of the cheaper ones. Played absolutely beautifully but I hated the sound and it had a weird problem with static I couldn't fix.

I had to get rid of it...and a bunch of other stuff...to meet a mortgage payment :(

Should have kept it and swapped out the pickup.

Probably my only regret of late would be trading my black / maple Sadowsky M4 to Karlfer a few Christmases ago...

Don't get me wrong, the Fender AVRI '75 is killer, but I do still miss that black beauty!

Was an absolute steal in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow as well for only £999.00...!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1420927284' post='2655262']

Shame the pictures are round the wrong way, but here's a bass I'd like to track down! It was a 69ish (Ash?) P bass body that had been (as far as I can tell) stripped and refinished. The neck wasn't original and I suspect it was a US RI neck. The neck was dated 1982. It was an unusual P bass that had a pickup with Allen Key shaped poles, suggesting that it could have been a dimarzio. The neck IIRC was heavily figured and possibly bird's eye. Topping off the spec was a set of reverse Kluson keys, headstock strap button and black pickguard.

The artwork was a window sticker, thus came straight off without residue and the thumb rest was also removed before sale but would have left two screw holes behind.

I think a guy from Bury St Edmunds bought it from me, but this was well over 15 years ago!!!

I'm off to find some clearer pictures, but I have to say, this was one awesome sounding bass!
[/quote]

Nyargh! My pictures have disappeared- I'll remedy that later. The only thing I'm wondering about is that I've not found many examples of birds eye precision necks. Mine had a rosewood board.