Why become a member? ×

Ive gone off Fender.

bubinga5

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1420984287' post='2655768']
The Fender Jazz and Precision (and Strat) have been the inspiration for virtually every guitar manufacturer that exists.. The world of guitars would not be the same without the magic, ingenuity and skill of Leo Fender. It has been so easy for the Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indonesian and the plethora of other lazy/envious/cheap skate manufacturers everywhere to replicate what are now iconic designs/instuments.

If all these other manufacturers are so good, why don't they come up with something different? They don't because they can't. And if they've tried, in most cases they've failed.
[/quote]

They by & large don't come up with anything different because bass & guitar players are very conservative/narrow minded & won't accept anything new and/or innovative.
Fender themselves have a very long list of models that have sunk without trace because people sh*t their pants at the slightest hint of anything new.

[quote]
Let's see how many of the plagiarisers are here in another 60 years and how many guitars they've sold.
[/quote]

In 60 years time there will still be lots of companies building versions of Fender designs, and this will largely be because Fender still won't have addressed their godawful quality control issues.

I bought two new p basses, both MIM's, I love them to bits but they aren't perfect sadly, I can't get the actions as low as I like without buzzing but they are ok....
The only perfect Fender I've ever owned was a USA sunset orange Jazz from 2004 and I stupidly sold it to a guy in Spain. Stupid stupid stupid....

Never found a good one since but I am stuck with mail order. :(

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1420996588' post='2655974']
Of course they have an opinion. It's just that we're fed up hearing it.
[/quote]
Some of us are sick to death of seeing the words "coffee table" too. But free speech being what it is, we put up with it.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1421014773' post='2656296']

Some of us are sick to death of seeing the words "coffee table" too. But free speech being what it is, we put up with it.
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't realise I was stifling free speech. I'll quietly just leave.

With fender it seems to all be about the dreaded quality control. If you knew that when you bought a new fender it would always be a "good" one then i doubt there would ever be any brand bashing. You know just what you're going to get as a Fender will just do what a Fender does, no more, no less.

I guess where it falls down for some people is when people fork out money for a mid-high end Fender to end up disappointed due to getting a "bad" one. If they could mostly eliminate this situation then i think there would be much less Fender bashing.

If they got the QC right then the only people moaning about Fenders would be idiots who buy a Fender expecting it to do things a Fender will never do because Fender stay in the niche that they occupy. The issue is the "bad" ones.

I get both sides of the argument as I have a nice USA fender that I love, but i have 4 other gorgeous basses that are totally different to a Fender and do things a Fender will never do.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1421017372' post='2656351']
With fender it seems to all be about the dreaded quality control. If you knew that when you bought a new fender it would always be a "good" one then i doubt there would ever be any brand bashing. You know just what you're going to get as a Fender will just do what a Fender does, no more, no less.

I guess where it falls down for some people is when people fork out money for a mid-high end Fender to end up disappointed due to getting a "bad" one. If they could mostly eliminate this situation then i think there would be much less Fender bashing.

If they got the QC right then the only people moaning about Fenders would be idiots who buy a Fender expecting it to do things a Fender will never do because Fender stay in the niche that they occupy. The issue is the "bad" ones.

I get both sides of the argument as I have a nice USA fender that I love, but i have 4 other gorgeous basses that are totally different to a Fender and do things a Fender will never do.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I reckon if you want a Fender, you should be sure to play it before parting with your cash.

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I agree with this. I reckon if you want a Fender, you should be sure to play it before parting with your cash.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I agree with you on this too.... except i did totally the opposite as I took a total flier on my one accepting that I may not like it. I bought it off Clarky and looked into other For Sale threads with it and everyone had agreed it was great to play, so I just went for it. I thought it was gorgeous (the only Fender i've ever found attractive).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237151-1999-us-jazz-in-hot-rod-red%3B-sold-pending-the-usual/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

*i had previously played through 6-8 fenders at my local store to see whether I liked them, and the only one i'd liked for a US '62 RI but they wanted £1250 for it.... i decided to get one on here instead :)

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1421017341' post='2656349']
Sorry, I didn't realise I was stifling free speech. I'll quietly just leave.
[/quote]There's no need for drama. I didn't say you were 'stifling' anything. I was just pointing out that all of us are fed up with hearing *something*, but that it's just one of them things up with which one has to put.

Edited by UglyDog

I have grown to appreciate Fenders... I think a new USA J or P is a good solid purchase for around a £1000 that would be more than enough for most of us for a lifetime of gigging and recording. I do feel that other builders have expanded Fenders original concept and built upon it, but whether these changes make the instrument better are just a matter of opinion.

Personally I choose to play a different bass as it suits what I am trying to achieve with my tone, but Fenders are still pretty much the benchmark starting point for a quality instrument.

Edited by CamdenRob

I'm on the fence with this argument.

I love the precision, jazz, strat and tele and the fact that they are the four most copied designs around is testament to how great they are/can be when done right.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would pay over £1,000 for one with fenders name on it though, my Ibanez blazer is for me a million times better than any fender I've owned even after they were modified. And if you want a carbon copy in the looks department there are plenty of people who can help with that too.

I also wonder why G&L aren't more popular, they are afterall Leo Fender designs and the man himself said they were the best he'd ever done and I think I agree. They are the next step in the evolution of the original designs, I've just recently got a Tribute L-2000 which I'm completely besotted with. Those MFD humbuckers and tri-tone system really pack some heat and the bass plays like a dream but still has that classic look to it. The same is true of the rest of the G&L range as well having had some experience with an SB-2 and the ASAT and Comanche guitars.

Just my 2 pence.

Edited by cocco

They let the brand name go, by greed and making Chinese chop shop basses with Fender on and by not enforcing trademarks so anyone can copy and better the design.
As a brand to be seen with Fender to me are no longer worth the money, the quality is not as good as Lakeland, not by a long way.
Your money buys a lot better bass .
Fender is no longer a premium brand of instrument other than vintage stock.

Shame, real shame, but to me Fender should only be on head stocks of the finest USA instruments.
Everything else should say Squire.

The Fender Jazz and Precision (and Strat) have been the inspiration for virtually every guitar manufacturer that exists.. The world of guitars would not be the same without the magic, ingenuity and skill of Leo Fender. It has been so easy for the Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indonesian and the plethora of other lazy/envious/cheap skate manufacturers everywhere to replicate what are now iconic designs/instuments.

If all these other manufacturers are so good, why don't they come up with something different? They don't because they can't. And if they've tried, in most cases they've failed.

OK, so some poeple don't like or want a Fender. But often they want a copy. Sometimes better made, somtimes cheaper. There isn't anything made where these two requirements can't be obtained.

Well so what!

Fender have been making guitars for 60 years or more and Fender may not be here for ever. I hope they are.

But Fender knockers, please, give it a rest!

Let's see how many of the plagiarisers are here in another 60 years and how many guitars they've sold.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well if they don't pull their head out of their starfish and get their business acumen together very soon, Fender won't be around in 6 years time never mind 60.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247397-fender-in-trouble/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247397-fender-in-trouble/[/url]