Why become a member? ×

Ive gone off Fender.

bubinga5

The facts as I see them:[list]
[*]There will always be a Fender company
[*]There will always be high quality copies / interpretations
[*]There will always be QC issues in any big company - Fender, Bentley, Apple etc.
[*]There will also be QC issues in smaller companies, at times
[*]People will chose what is right for them based on need, past experiences and taste
[*]People will often defend or slag off ANY company, more so larger ones that have impact
[*]People may also only see their side of the coin due to their experience and opinion
[*]It's only a discussion, no one is right or wrong! :)
[/list]

Well, bubinga 5, UglyDog, etc, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. No need for me to rethink anything.

Incidentally, which Lakland 'design' is different to those of Leo Fender? From what I can see, essentially there is only one source of inspiration, which of course, is Leo Fender.

Looking at the new ten D Lakin guitars shown on the Bass Direct website, with the exception of a very minor revison of the headstock, they are identical to the Precision and Jazz. Dan Lakin, of course also 'designed' the Lakland bases and sold his business a few years ago. Now that he's started up again, he's introduced clones of the Jazz and Precision. I wonder why he did this? Is his ability in design limited, or has he, like so many of the plagiarisers, 'stolen' a fomulae that is proven to suceed?

And whether Fender are here tomorrow is irrelevant.

It doesn't alter the history of the influence of Leo Fender and Fender guitars over the last 60 years.

Edited by titchfieldrelic

Blimey, are you a relative of Leo's or something? Why are you so touchy? As far as I am aware, nobody is taking issue with Leo's/Fenders influence and place in history.
And as for "whether Fender are here tomorrow is irrelevant", well with respect you were the first one to mention company futures ("Let's see how many of the plagiarisers are here in another 60 years").
[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1421068107' post='2656713']
Incidentally, which Lakland 'design' is different to those of Leo Fender?[/quote]
[url="http://www.lakland.com/decade.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/decade.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.lakland.com/hollowbody.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/hollowbody.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.lakland.com/hollowbody30.htm"]http://www.lakland.c...ollowbody30.htm[/url]
Will these do for starters?

Edited by UglyDog

Well, bubinga 5, UglyDog, etc, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. No need for me to rethink anything.

Incidentally, which Lakland 'design' is different to those of Leo Fender? From what I can see, essentially there is only one source of inspiration, which of course, is Leo Fender.

Looking at the new ten D Lakin guitars shown on the Bass Direct website, with the exception of a very minor revison of the headstock, they are identical to the Precision and Jazz. Dan Lakin, of course also 'designed' the Lakland bases and sold his business a few years ago. Now that he's started up again, he's introduced clones of the Jazz and Precision. I wonder why he did this? Is his ability in design limited, or has he, like so many of the plagiarisers, 'stolen' a fomulae that is proven to suceed?

It doesn't alter the history of the influence of Leo Fender and Fender guitars over the last 60 years.
[/quote]

Leo Fender is without doubt the most influential instrument designer who ever lived. I don't think anyone has said different.

FMIC as it stands now is doing nothing for the brand, and is weather you like it or not being outclassed by the likes of Lakland, D. Lakin, Mike Lull etc at building the classics.

Edited by cocco

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Incidentally, which Lakland 'design' is different to those of Leo Fender?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

plus Lakland necks are much slimmer front to back and easier to play (IME as I like slim necks not chunky necks.... there are many who love thick chunky baseball necks).

but then the same comparisons and comments can be made of Warwick stealing Stuart Spector's design quite blatantly.

Edited by The Badderer

It doesn't matter which bass is best, the best basses I've ever played were a Nathan east Yamaha and a celinder jazz update but I've not bought an example of either even though I've actually spent more cash combined on various stingray and jazz basses because well I have no idea really? Lol ,until someone can bottle that magic ingredient Leo sprinkled in things will remain the same.

The simple fact is, a Fender is the most fashionable instrument, but it's a long way short of being the best build quality. History speaks for itself insofar as Fender QC is shocking and the far eastern copies trump them in build quality.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1421002041' post='2656060']
Why?
[/quote]

I sort of meant that to suggest somebody uses something other than a Fender Bass is tantamount to heresy, as some seem to think that only "proper" bass players use Fender instruments.

But I wasn't being serious anyway so it doesn't matter. :)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1420967717' post='2655464']
There are some amazing Fenders out there, just as there are amazing basses from most manufacturers. The trick is to find them!
[/quote]

And to resist the GAS that leads you to sell them in the quest for something "better"... :unsure:

Edited by Conan

I see Fender the same way I am starting to see many aspects of life, not perfect but all round the best bet most of the time. Finding a great Fender us a bit like finding a great track on a Tom Waits album, time consuming but worth the wait and hard to beat once found. I wonder if it's that search that keeps us all engaged, after all, we're not a very faithful bynch when it comes to basses?

There are better basses than most Fenders, but as is the case with members of the opposite sex, 'better' rarely means anything useful and has zero explanatory power :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421071579' post='2656778']
I sort of meant that to suggest somebody uses something other than a Fender Bass is tantamount to heresy, as some seem to think that only "proper" bass players use Fender instruments.
[/quote]

I started off all Fender but, over the years, what 'I' wanted from an instrument wasn't always in accord with what Fender could offer, so I moved away.

However, amongst my (comparatively) small collection of basses I've kept a Fender JB as I've discovered first hand that it's far easier to compromise than argue sometimes. :)

The only impact is that I have to work a little bit harder to get to where I 'need to be' with the performance and that isn't necessarily a bad thing from time to time.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421071579' post='2656778']

But I wasn't being serious anyway so it doesn't matter. :)
[/quote]
Strange, because I would have thought that the heresy was the other way around.

Anyway, I really don't care what people play.

Buy what you ([i]not you personally[/i]) want, play what you want. In my case, that will be Fender [i]and[/i] others.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1421050120' post='2656463']
There's no need for drama. I didn't say you were 'stifling' anything. I was just pointing out that all of us are fed up with hearing *something*, but that it's just one of them things up with which one has to put.
[/quote]
But one doesn't have to put up with it silently, as one is free to speak as one finds - subject to the libel laws etc.

Love my Sadowsy nyc j bass. Light, sounds great and terrific action. A mate of mine took back a new Fender jazz in 2010 from the USA for me. There were significant issues with the fretwork on that piece of junk. Will never figure out how it passed QC.
However my pre cbs Fender jazz is my all time favourite bass.

Edited by leroydiamond

[/quote]did Leo Fender ever make a Double soap Bar pickup in the shape of a 55-01 with a preamp.? no they didn't. But Lakland did. as well as a few more originals. i think the Fender Fan boy vibe, never really goes down well. like i said I'm not knocking them. there just not for me anymore.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1421085734' post='2656991']did Leo Fender ever make a Double soap Bar pickup in the shape of a 55-01 with a preamp.? no they didn't. But Lakland did. i think the Fender Fan boy vibe, never really goes down well. like i said I'm not knocking them. there just not for me anymore.
[/quote]

I think that like in the musicman thread you seem to be having a bit of a stir, at least in this thread you've elaborated rather than starting a fire and wandering off though. Once again with the fanboy stuff though, very easy way to dismiss others.

Edited by Subbeh

I have a Sadowsky Metro, which I bought after failing to find a Fender Jazz as much as I liked my Fender Precisions.

I honestly think that Fenders have been left behind a bit when it comes to active EQs when compared to Lakland, Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Sandberg etc. When it comes to a passive Jazz design, I still think that a good Fender can stand up next to anything.

Hell, despite owning one, I have gone off 'expensive Fender clones with fancy on-board preamps.'.

Over 30 years playing I have been through a Wal 4, Yamaha TRB5Pii, Warwick Streamer 5, Sei Jazz 5, Moon Jazz 5, Ken Smith 5. I now find myself with two Fenders: a Roadworn Jazz and an '82 JV Precision, and never happier. That doesn't prove anything, just that two particular Fender basses are what do it for me at this stage of my life.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1421085734' post='2656991']
did Leo Fender ever make a Double soap Bar pickup in the shape of a 55-01 with a preamp.? no they didn't. But Lakland did. i think the Fender Fan boy vibe, never really goes down well. like i said I'm not knocking them. there just not for me anymore.
[/quote]

I think we need to give Leo a little nod regarding the Laklands essentially souped up Stingrays which as we know were Leo's design. HH with coil taps were found on the Sabre not long after the Stingray appeared. Didn't Dan Lakin have something to do with musicman in his early days, he used the musicman headstock too which wasn't exactly original was it? :)