Why become a member? ×

New Beginner Member :)

odyseus

Hi Chaps,
I'm 50 and decided to learn bass guitar, something I always wanted to do but never seemed to get around to it. The spur for me was watching a school friend play his 50th birthday pub gig (the first time he had played for over 21 years) and speaking to few retiree's who had just started to learn an instrument (the sort of thing you do, with plenty of time on your hands)

Anyway so far I have bought some gear - Amp, leads, VOX headphone amp, tuner and most importantly a bass guitar - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00667EV42?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00"]Lindo J-BASS Electric Bass Guitar[/url].

Now, I have a bought a few books and got a couple of DVD's ie
(1) Absolute beginners Bass Guitar (BOOK)
(2) Lick Library: Bass Guitar From Scratch (DVD).
(3) Play Bass Guitar In One Day - Featuring Dave Dixon (DVD).
(4) Jason Shepherd Learn Bass Guitar In 8 Weeks (DVD).

I started watching the MusicCollegeTV video's [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9QGj9GjIY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=7m9QGj9GjIY[/url] - which seem OK??

I have bought RockSmith - but this doesn't really have decent tutorials. In any case I have plenty of time to learn bass lines later when I have learnt the basics & good technique

Anyway, so far I'm just trying to play notes up and and down the strings with one finger per fret as per the DVD's & Youtube videos as a start.

I'm trying to get clean notes (without fret buzz), although I can't spread my fingers on the top of the neck, so I have to slide my hand along a bit to get the right finger to line up with the fret. I accept this is not ideal and of course I am trying to alternate my right hand I & M fingers.

Is the use of a Plectrum recommended?? - It just seems a bit easier

I do have a question to the members and that's about online beginner's videos's ?? I can't really afford the £20 or so a week for lessons and to be honest I would like to access my progress in say 6 months and then decide whether to carry on??

So, back to online lesson's - I have two that seem ideal s(ie step by step) - I would rather just a pay a fixed fee for a set of lessons to be honest

(1) www.scottsbasslessons.com academy @ £9.5 per month continuously????
(2) www.creativebasslessons.com - a rather expensive £165 (6 monthly installments of $41.58 USD) - I'm not sure if this is all you pay??

(3) http://how-to-play-bass.com/bass-for-beginners.html @ $117 (£77) one payment seems to be a good option??

Are there any other alternatives or and advice on true step-by-step lessons ??

All the best (sorry for the long first post)

John

Edited by odyseus

Hello Odyseus, and welcome to Basschat from another late starter! The more experienced and the teachers among our fellow Basschatters will probably add their much more informed opinions soon, but my two pence is to forget about books and online lessons, and save up for even just two or three one-to-one lessons with a good bass teacher (not a guitar teacher who does a bit of bass on the side). That money will be the best bass-related investment ever, believe me, even if you end up deciding that it's not for you.

Playing with a pick is neither recommended nor discouraged. A plectrum will sound different from your fingers, and will suit certain styles and types of music better than others. If you find it easier to play with a pick, go ahead, obviously, but also get the abovementioned good teacher to show you how to play fingerstyle in an efficient, non-tiring way.

And my advice would also be to ditch the IMO horrid Vox headphone amp as soon as you can afford to, and get something more expensive but better (just ask here and you will receive lots of pointers to better equipment!).

Hello John. :)

Welcome to this great place known as BC.

Think as you progress, as BJ has said, you'll discover that the plectrum gives a completely different sound to fingering, but by all means, start with the Plectrum first if you find it easier. Plus there are many free resources on-line as Bass tutorials, but it's a case of searching for the stuff to suit your basic needs.

Main thing is to take it slowly (there's no race) and listen to and practice different songs as much as you can, but importantly and above all is to enjoy it and have fun.

There are loads of really friendly and knowledgable folks here, so if you get hung up on anything that you need help with, just post up in the General Discussion forum and someone is sure to get back to you.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Allie.