Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Drive DI - Suggestions/Tips?

spongebob

After looking at various boxes and the like (for about a year!) I finally bought myself one of these and received it yesterday.

Never been one for any frills - but after reading loads online, it became obvious that most bass tones, live and on record, are never that 'natural', and that such boxes are an important part of achieving a good sound.

I plugged it in yesterday, and with a Jazz, very easily got a 'Geddy' tone - it sounded immense! Really changes the sound of the bass - gives it so much more life and presence. Haven't stuck in the P yet, but expecting greatness.

I'd love to hear about other owners' settings - any suggestions/tips?

Also, on my amp, I've set everything at noon, but gone for the 100% blend on the pedal. Left the gain lower - just before the clipping point as normal. Is this correct?

Seems like a great purchase so far. And it comes in a tin! Coooool! B)

I did roughly the same as the OP, all settings on the amp at midday, Blend on the Sansamp on full, Gain set to just a bit of breakup, plus a boost on highs to give some presence. But ultimately the lack of mid controls meant I sold it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1421172360' post='2658038']
I did roughly the same as the OP, all settings on the amp at midday, Blend on the Sansamp on full, Gain set to just a bit of breakup, plus a boost on highs to give some presence. But ultimately the lack of mid controls meant I sold it.
[/quote]
That was the one thing about the Bass Driver that put me off - so I plumped for the Para Driver instead. Much more versatile and adjustable. I seem to like mine with a little more mids present and I can dial in the mids centre frequency with the smaller pot. I also don't like 100% wet mix - too much of the instruments' character is lost so I've opted for somewhere around a 25 - 50% wet mix, which seems to sound much nicer.

EDIT: I should also say that I have also been trying out adding some drive in front of the SA - at the moment my go-to OD is a JOYO Ultimate Drive (gain down a bit, level up a bit, tone to suit)

Edited by Bottle

Got to have a bit of a re-think with my settings!

Thought I had it right - took it to a gig yesterday....and unplugged it after the first track!

All the mids were sucked out, making the bass virtually inaudible.....a P bass!

Will try again, maybe at next rehearsal. I think it sounds best to lower the blend as mine was full on.

Things can only get better.....!

Edited by spongebob

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I have to agree that there are no set rules - no right or wrong. What you describe sounds to me like a very heavy tube emulation (blend at 100%). I like to use it at more sensible blend settings, BUT that is very subjective what you like the most. I have also never been a hugs tube amp fan, which probably explains why I like the BDDI at quite low blend settings. But I DO like it a lot. :-)

[url="http://bass-pedals.com/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-review.html"]You can hear some of my favourite settings here...[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1421685219' post='2663942']
Got to have a bit of a re-think with my settings!

Thought I had it right - took it to a gig yesterday....and unplugged it after the first track!

All the mids were sucked out, making the bass virtually inaudible.....a P bass!

Will try again, maybe at next rehearsal. I think it sounds best to lower the blend as mine was full on.

Things can only get better.....!
[/quote]
They have an inherent mid-scoop. Try cutting the bass/treble. Other than that stick it on the market place here or the bay and buy yourself a DHA VT1 BD EQ. Thats what I did and no regrets so far.

[quote name='Ma'Grass' timestamp='1430857706' post='2765380']
@Cloudburst: did you get it?? :) I am interested in getting the para too...
[/quote]

Yep. Have used the ParaDriver v2 in two situations so far with mixed results.

Used it at a small (ie without our drummer and with acoustic guitars) gig with my Steinberger XL2. On listening back the tone was much too distorted and I much preferred previous sessions in the same venue. It may be that the iPhone mic was causing a lot of the distortion but I think I need to find a much more subtle set of settings.

Used it (BUT with its foot switch turned off) to record my MM Bongo XLR DI into Logic Pro X via a PreSonus interface. Best recorded bass tone I've ever got.

CB

Edited by cloudburst