Why become a member? ×

Shortscale players?

civilian_project

So I'm thinking of getting a shortscale 4 string as a backup to my jazz and P. Now ideally as a huge Garry Tallent fan I'd have this http://spectorbass.com/shortytrade-garry-tallent.html however this is currently logistically and financially beyond my means.
So the question is now. what to try?
I don't really like sg basses as the neck shape feels all wrong. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I've got a Dano 63 which I really quite like, and might go for a Mustang or Musicmaster if I fancied another (either Fender or Squier versions). But seeing as you'd like the Spector perhaps the Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic shorty might hit the spot, visually at least. http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_short_scale_nt_active.htm

Edited by Musky

Before i bought a mustang bass (which i no longer have). Which is the best shortscale in my opinion.

I wondered if i would actually like the shorter scale so i bought one of these.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm

Cheap but useable.

For shortscale though mustang bass all the way. The come in three versions Squier vm mustang, Fender Pawn shop mustang and the Fender (Japan) 64 reissue mustang. One day i will own another one.

My SG re-issue does it for me, but I bet that Spector Shorty would do it better - beeeooootiful!! The Bill Wyman Sig gets some good reviews and I'm hoping to try one out soon. At the moment my only backup is an Ibanez Art-core semi with Jazz Flats that gives me some very different tones from the SG.

I have a late 70s Fender Musicmaster that I had modded to sport a Precision pickup, so it now a bit like a Mustang. I call it my Mustangmaster. It's very nice.

Although I have discovered that I like medium scale best of all.

As a long-time short-scale player and advocate, I'd just add a word of caution: some SG type shortscales can feel a lot like a (very) long-scale as a result of strap pin positioning. Alembic SC types are a case in point (though absolutely my favourite basses by a mile). The Spector Shorty is a delight with fabulous ergonomics and a 22 fret board - I'm fortunate to have one and it gets more play than anything else. Not cheap though and the Warwick suggested above sounds like a brilliant alternative - hadn't seen these previously. Good luck to the OP - shorties can be a lot of fun and are very player friendly - a decent one will not imply any compromise in tone

Fender P-Bass Junior. It is slighter shorter than a "short scale 30-inch" I believe it is between 28 and 30" (specs online).

Very rare to find and I came across mine at Wunjos in Denmark St. about 5 years ago.

There is some info online, but it is basically a MIM Fender with a full sized p/up, 1 volume (no tone) and a string through/top loader bridge.

Looks like a toy but it is an amazing player.

[quote name='BassHappy' timestamp='1421283352' post='2659508']
New Gibson Les Paul basses are mighty nice shorties:

[url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015-Memphis/ES-Les-Paul-Bass.aspx#BALP15GTNH1"]http://www2.gibson.c...spx#BALP15GTNH1[/url]
[/quote]

They look lovely!!
But I think they'll struggle to find their market at $3000?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421326604' post='2659848']
They look lovely!!

Si
[/quote]

Hey Sibob

Yeah, they are brand spanking new, so no idea what the street price will be as of yet.

I suppose they will announce at NAMM - hopefully along with sound clips as the pickups are new.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1421013209' post='2656259']
I've got a Dano 63 which I really quite like,
[/quote]

These are fun to play and easy to set up if you can find one second hand.

Also take a look at Hofners if you fancy something with Humbuckers. Violin bass for that Beatles look or Club basses if you want something that looks a little like a Les Paul.

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421326604' post='2659848']

They look lovely!!

Si
[/quote]

Who needs the short scale? I've got the solid body Les Paul bass, and it's a joy to play. I never could get with short scale basses.

I only play short scale these days and would also suggest the Squier Jaguar as a good option.

I'm also lucky enough to have a Spector Shorty but still use my Jag regularly because it feels great to play, in fact I think it's amazing for the money.

Just try one.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1421065833' post='2656676']
My SG re-issue does it for me, but I bet that Spector Shorty would do it better - beeeooootiful!! The Bill Wyman Sig gets some good reviews and I'm hoping to try one out soon. At the moment my only backup is an Ibanez Art-core semi with Jazz Flats that gives me some very different tones from the SG.
[/quote]

I've been playing the Wyman signature for a few years now and quite honestly it's very versatile in terms of the sounds you can get from it. Good fun to play, it's impressed a load of hardcore Fender nuts I know, they love the tone it gives with flatwounds. It may look a novelty bass but I promise you that it packs a punch!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Wymanite' timestamp='1421363091' post='2660518']

I've been playing the Wyman signature for a few years now and quite honestly it's very versatile in terms of the sounds you can get from it. Good fun to play, it's impressed a load of hardcore Fender nuts I know, they love the tone it gives with flatwounds. It may look a novelty bass but I promise you that it packs a punch!
[/quote]

I really like these so may drop in to the Bass Centre to try one.....i need some flatwounds for my Gretsch G2220 and my Epi Allen Woody so seems like a worthwhile visit.

Edited by Number6

• 3 weeks later...