Why become a member? ×

Learning Wanted

wishface

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1421163240' post='2657859']
Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book is the only one you need if all you are looking for is music theory. If you get that (£27 on Amazon?), you will have pretty much all of the information you will ever need. The problem is the application of that information. Without some direction from others, you may struggle to apply some of the information you gather.

The reason it is called Jazz Theory is because most pop/funk etc music is based on significant degrees of repetition and a book of 'pop' theory would be very short :) A lot of the greatest Pop artist are actually backed up by monster Jazz players/composers/arrangers (e.g. Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones, Earth, Wind and Fire was started by ex-Miles Davis Jazzers. Steely Dan records are chock full of Jazzers, as are/were Sting, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Chaka Khan, Ricki Lee Jones, James Taylor etc etc. The list is endless). The notes are the same; it is the application of theories that defines.

Classical theory is not that different in terms of the 'maths' (8-note scales) but the application is VERY different and orchestration and instrumentation are much more important.
[/quote]That book sounds great but I think it might overwhelm me if I try and tackle it alone.

Grab a sequencer for your PC and create tunes to try out your knowledge of chords etc. No need to get a keyboard at first.

The advantage of this method is that you listen rather than play, you get to know the (virtual) keyboard (even if you're only placing notes on a timeline) and you get to test out what you read about.

Worked for me. :)

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' timestamp='1421233526' post='2658644'] Hi Wishface Check out my video bass lessons website where you can get weekly lessons that are structured and based on the "real-world" music concepts that Jeff Berlin talks about. Also, on the same page notice what Jeff Berlin says about me> http://www.joehubbardbassvideos.com/bassment/ Best Joe [/quote]Thanks, but I can't afford that.

Well, as I aid I can't afford the lessons. I don't know about the books. Which one would be best? Will either give me what I want? The Hal Leonard book is cheaper, but starts at a very basic level (covering technique as well as some theory; it's not just theory), while the Jazz book is very expensive and possibly rather dry (and oritented to one style of music).

There's so much free stuff on the internet that you might not need books at all. Especially for theory, and that's where the really big payoff is imo.

Honest, get a free sequencer for your PC and start making harmonies. You'll love it and you'll learn buckets. And you don't get blisters. :)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1421351242' post='2660320']
There's so much free stuff on the internet that you might not need books at all. Especially for theory, and that's where the really big payoff is imo.

Honest, get a free sequencer for your PC and start making harmonies. You'll love it and you'll learn buckets. And you don't get blisters. :)
[/quote] do you know anything that works on ubuntu?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421398218' post='2660674']
[url="http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/"]Rosegarden...[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks, i've downloaded that. Looks a bit involved though. Not sure I want to learn software in order to learn music theory as well.

I'll go into the muysic shop in town tomorrow and see if they still have either of those books in town. The more academic of the shops has more of the theory books than Guitar Soloist Central aka PMT :D

It's been a while since I used a sequencer and i've never found them particularly easy to use, especially without proper tools/keyboard. To quote Jah Wobble "midi is hell"

[quote name='rjs1909' timestamp='1421369214' post='2660581']
Another great resource is Scott's Bass Lessons - [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/"]http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/[/url]

Plenty of free lessons which may be useful in learning how to use the theory
[/quote]His lessons are really cool (though he's got Teen Town wrong! :o), do the free ones cover much theory?

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1421408952' post='2660815']...
I'll go into the muysic shop in town tomorrow and see if they still have either of those books in town...
[/quote]

While you're there, why not pop into the local library and ask, or have a browse..? I'd be much surprised if they had absolutely nothing in the way of basic music theory. Maybe not precisely targeted to the bass, but it all applies, whatever the instrument.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421414217' post='2660904']
While you're there, why not pop into the local library and ask, or have a browse..? I'd be much surprised if they had absolutely nothing in the way of basic music theory.
[/quote]

OP, there is no shortage of music theory on the web, like in this link :

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

The problem, as discussed earlier in this thread, and as you admit yourself.....is applying it.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1421416766' post='2660955']
OP, there is no shortage of music theory on the web, like in this link :

[url="http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf"]http://www.billygree...%20Advanced.pdf[/url]

The problem, as discussed earlier in this thread, and as you admit yourself.....is applying it.
[/quote]

An excellent link; some good stuff in there, and for free..! It's nevertheless based on harmony; there's nothing on the rhythmic side of things. Maybe, as a drummer, I'm too sensitive over such details..?
I'll see if I can find an equivalent source which goes into that aspect, and edit here if I come up trumps.
[Terminator] "I'll be back... " [size=4][/Terminator][/size]

[size=4]Edit: Here's one that covers the ground a bit...[/size]

[url="http://learnmusictheory.net/free/freefeezelltheorybookvol1.pdf"][size=4]Music Theory Fundementals...[/size][/url]

[size=4]...which comes from here...[/size]

[url="http://learnmusictheory.net/"][size=4]Learn Music Theory ...[/size][/url]

Searching for "learning music theory pdf" brings up a lot of stuff. Have a trawl..?

2nd Edit: Having looked a bit closer at that last site linked, it's an absolute gold mine of information and resources, including an astonishing Anthology containing over 100 pieces of classical composition for study and practise..!. OK, it's not rock'n'roll, but boy, is there some stuff to absorb in there..! I'm glad I found it; thanks for provoking this..! My day is hereby made..! B)[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421414217' post='2660904']
While you're there, why not pop into the local library and ask, or have a browse..? I'd be much surprised if they had absolutely nothing in the way of basic music theory. Maybe not precisely targeted to the bass, but it all applies, whatever the instrument.
[/quote]I've tried that, the library is pretty useless tbf, though they do have a dvd on slap bass.

Well, Cresus I am not, but I've just splashed out the princely sum of 3€98 on the download of all the subject matter on that site I linked to, all 150 pages of it. The Anthology part (over 450 pages...) was free. I'm now set up for a fair few long winter nights honing my skills in music theory. Not a bad deal, I think, but, for those reticent to empty the bank on trust, the information is there, subject by subject, for free, if one wants to just dip in and test the water. It's not going to get any cheaper than that. :)

Edited by Dad3353

I had a look at that learn music theory site. It's certainly interesting, and I'm wondering if what i'm really after is learning to read music. Though I didn't really study the site in depth, it seems that the theory on offer is more about rules for how music should be written rather than how it works. I'm not sure being told how music should be made - you know: 'when playing a chord always do X' - is what I need, as opposed to "when you are playing over X major 7 playing these notes will sound like..."

if you catch my drift.

Have been following this thread - what follows is just my 2p's worth:

You can't really go wrong with some of the lessons on Scott Devine's site. He does a lot of work on the Major scale and the modes in his videos - it's really just a matter of looking through them and see what applies to what you're after.

Another guy who has brought out some very good books in the last few years is Stuart Clayton - his "Scales & Modes" and "Reading Music" books are well worth the money - check out his Bassline Publishing website.

After that, it's all about putting the hours in - if you can get together with like minded musicians to play with, that helps as well...