Why become a member? ×

Learning Wanted

wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1421516019' post='2662185']
Has anyone knowledge of the Tony Grey Bass Academy book+DVD?
[/quote]

I dont have any knowledge of that particular book. To be honest, you could be checking out books
'til kingdom come and the theory contained in all of them is still going to be the same.

[size=4]IMO you have received an excellent response to your thread, with lots of great links and information.[/size]

[size=4]There comes a time when it's best to bite the bullet, pick a book or link from this thread, knuckle down[/size]
[size=4] [/size][size=4]and do the work. :)[/size]

[size=4] [/size]

I found a book called Harmony and Theory. It's one of the MIT books and I have a couple already.

I would like to start using a sequence to programme some chord sequences to play over. I think that's a good idea. Unfortunately I can't get Rosegarden to work. Ubuntu is a massive chore frankly (on the plus side, it's not Windows) for things like this and I can't get it to actually play the sound, nor can i see how to loop sequences.

[size=4][quote name='wishface' timestamp='1421516019' post='2662185']
Has anyone knowledge of the Tony Grey Bass Academy book+DVD?
[/quote][/size]
[size=4]One Amazon review ...[/size]
[size=4][quote][color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]The title does not overstate the potential value of this book/DVD -- for SOME players! If you're mentally prepared to focus on being a better player, it's like a graduate course. If you've watched Tony Grey's YouTube videos, you have a sense of his seriousness, his dedication to the bass, his sense of discipline, and his belief in practice as meditation. In this book, he seems to assume that you possess the same qualities. If you are indeed serious and disciplined, buy this bass academy without hesitation; the course is comprehensive and DVD alone is worth twice the price. However, if you're a dabbler, not prepared for a serious and challenging dive into technique and theory, you might want to try another method that isn't as likely to gather dust on your bookshelf. Tony wants you to get better and gives you all the tools you need to achieve that goal. The rest will be up to you.[/quote][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]No knowledge of Ubuntu, I'm afraid; sorry. I use Reaper on XP.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1421586011' post='2662894']
I only use Ubuntu because the only legit version of Windows i have is 98! I'm not paying several hundred quid for an OS!
[/quote]

From Ebay UK, BIN...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-SP3-Full-Install-Version-COA-Product-Key-/201265943881?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2edc629549"]XP Pro, SP3, £16...[/url]

...or this...

[url="https://alexanderstechcorner.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/install-reaper-on-ubuntu-linux/"]Reaper on Ubuntu ...[/url]

...or ...

[url="http://alternativeto.net/software/reaper/?platform=linux"]Reaper alternatives on Linux ...[/url]

Just sayin'

Edited by Dad3353

Please don't take what I have to say the wrong way. It is meant as [u]constructive [/u] criticism and this will be my last contribution to your thread. :)

I am not a teacher and my own knowledge of theory is basic.

However, IMO what you lack is a ​[b]CHRONOLOGICAL[/b] [b]PLAN. [/b]You started your thread by saying that you wanted to learn theory by way of jazz music because you read that Jeff Berlin suggests this. You were given some suggestions for this but for various reasons chose not to go that route.

The thread has taken various twists and turns and is now at the stage of ..." a[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]ndroid apps for creating sequences." You seem to be diving in and out of different things with nothing definite in mind. How you intend learning basic theory this way is beyond me.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]This is worth a read :[/size][/font][/color]

[size=4]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/doing-it-the-slow-way-guide-to-practicing-by-joe-solomon.125537/[/size]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828][size=4]Anyway, whichever plan of action you end up with...I hope it proves [/size]successful[/color][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828][size=4] for you. :)[/size][/color][/font]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421587717' post='2662923']
From Ebay UK, BIN...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-SP3-Full-Install-Version-COA-Product-Key-/201265943881?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2edc629549"]XP Pro, SP3, £16...[/url]

...or this...

[url="https://alexanderstechcorner.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/install-reaper-on-ubuntu-linux/"]Reaper on Ubuntu ...[/url]

...or ...

[url="http://alternativeto.net/software/reaper/?platform=linux"]Reaper alternatives on Linux ...[/url]

Just sayin'
[/quote]I can't get midi to work on ubuntu, i've no idea why. Ubuntu is just complex and weird.

I don't really want to install Windows and I'm not going to buy XP off ebay, it's not even supported anymore. Thanks but that's a waste of money IMO. It's not worth it just on the off chance I might be able to run a simple sequencer. If there's something that can work on an Android tablet then great, otherwise it's a waste of money.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421425476' post='2661090']
Well, Cresus I am not, but I've just splashed out the princely sum of 3€98 on the download of all the subject matter on that site I linked to, all 150 pages of it. The Anthology part (over 450 pages...) was free. I'm now set up for a fair few long winter nights honing my skills in music theory. Not a bad deal, I think, but, for those reticent to empty the bank on trust, the information is there, subject by subject, for free, if one wants to just dip in and test the water. It's not going to get any cheaper than that. :)
[/quote]

Thanks, just downloaded this, looks fantastic and should help me achieve my goal of understanding basic theory by Spring

[quote name='Born under a bad sign' timestamp='1421686597' post='2663959']
Thanks, just downloaded this, looks fantastic and should help me achieve my goal of understanding basic theory by Spring
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1421587019' post='2662912']
Anyone know of any suitable Android apps for creating sequences? I've tried something called Caustic 3, but it's a demo and i've no idea how it works (it's all a bit techno).
[/quote]

A lot of good advice in this thread already, and also read the post Coilte links to!

I am not sure about sequences, but if you are into playing over chords, there is an app called iReal http://irealpro.com/ , for iOs as well as Android, that actually plays a chord chart, either from a vast library, or you can create your own charts. You can turn on and off individual instruments, so you could turn on the bass, and listen to how it plays over the chords, and then turn the bass off and try to repeat what your heard. After doing this for a while, I am sure you will recognize patterns over similar chords, and can use that to create your own bass lines. I think this is a more satisfying way of learning than first trying to read a lot of theory, and then try to create bass lines. The best way to learn how to swim is being in the water with an instructor, not to read books about swimming theory:-)

a.

That sounds really good.

Not the cheapest app though (in app purchases as well? Come on!) So it will have to wait unfortunately.

I read that link, some of it is common sense (don't rush the pace of learning), some was a bit fluffy. (Look inside yourself).

From what I've seen of the theory stuff @sites like scotts bass lessons is stuff I already know (afaict). Maybe is just practising them more

Edited by wishface