Why become a member? ×

Fret board oil

Twincam

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421240135' post='2658773']
Go to Tesco/Sainsbury/Whatever and buy 'Walnut Oil'. It's fantastic!
[/quote]

Don't know if this post is serious or not but I wouldn't use any kind of oil that is used for cooking as they can have things added to them (things to alter flashpoints etc.) that might not do your fingerboard a lot of good. Cooking oils can also go rancid.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421245495' post='2658879']
Don't know if this post is serious or not but I wouldn't use any kind of oil that is used for cooking as they can have things added to them (things to alter flashpoints etc.) that might not do your fingerboard a lot of good. Cooking oils can also go rancid.
[/quote]

Lemon juice is used to clean the gunk off fingerboards first.

Walnut oil is fine, exactly the same stuff as used on gunstocks but a fraction of the price when bought at the supermarket. Use it sparingly and give it time to soak into the wood before playing, recoat every 6 months. Don't use generic cooking oil though (sunflower oil / olive oil etc = sticky mess).

I clean with lemon oil and then finish with a little natural beeswax. I'm not a fan of oils, it always feels like it's not properly soaked in no matter how much I buff off. I'm convinced I can feel it coming off on my fingers! Beeswax seems a little more slick and you get a nice satin finish :)

Truckstop