Why become a member? ×

Foam Mute

markdavid

Hi mate,

I got a piece of foam from packaging for a pair of speakers and it worked really well, but I guess I got lucky because I lost it and could not find a piece which worked as well, or evenly accross all the stings. Eventually I got a bassmute (www.bassmute.com) which does the job really well, it is a switchable mute which you can tape or screw to your bass. It is fully adjustable so you can adjust it to taste.

Definitely try the square of foam first, as the bassmute is frankly a bit steep, but if it is a sound you use a lot, may I reccomend the bassmute as a long term solution!

Ped

You could of course buy the official Fender aftermarket ones, although they require a more permanent installation. They'd certainly look (and sound) the dogs if you had a Fender.

[url="http://www.basspartsresource.com/bhardware_mutes.htm"]Linkage[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

On the fabulous 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown' DVD you can clearly see that Bob Babbitt has a simple piece of foam sponge under the strings by the bridge on his '65 P Bass (with LaBella Medium flatwounds) - & he gets a great sound.
[i]"...it had no foam dampener, so I found a sponge in the dressing room, tore off a piece, wet it, and put it under my bridge cover..."[/i]

Edited by 99ster