Why become a member? ×

Portaflex update

Fizzer

Following on from my 'PF500 died' and 'Polar Audio repairs threads':
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229422-polar-audio-repairs/page__p__2364220#entry2364220
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223947-pf500-died-yesterday/page__p__2296270#entry2296270
(essentially, my PF550 turned into a smoke machine which took over 3 months for Polar Audio to repair)

I thought I'd give an update as it's been some time.

I eventually got my pf500 back from Polar Audio via Dolphin Music (PMT) - it was fine for a few months, I noticed that the fault light was starting to stay on longer and longer each time I switched it on. (up to 2 seconds), this was the behaviour I'd noticed before the smoke machine incident so I wasn't hugely surpried when it started cutting out again. This time with no smoke, fortunately.

So one quick call to Dolphin Music was all it took to have it collected (next day - V impressed) - Again it was away for some time and I eventually got it back last wek. I bravely gigged it (it was fine) - however I did notice that it still took a couple of seconds for the fault light to go out at power up.

Sure enough, last night at practice (slightly louder than the gig) it cut out after about 15 minutes.

I've called Dolphin who have arranged for a collection again tomorrow. However I really don't want this thing back, I love the sound but it just isn't working. I'm only driving a single pf115 8Ohm cab - not exactly taxing for it.

I suspect that Polar Audio gave it a cursory test, didn't drive it hard enough to fail and just sent it back without changing anything.

Just for the record, Dolphin/PMT have been great and very understanding.

I'm not sure I'm after advice here, I just want a moan!

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record,I'd like to say that dolphin/PMT have been awesome. They swapped out my portaflex + £20 for a tc electronics bh550.

I'm so blown away by this gesture of goodwill, I rarely buy new stuff but this has really paid off this time. They have been very understanding throughout.

Thank you guys :)

Good result!

I had a PF500 and it really didn't like our (too loud) practice sessions - tone muddied up badly. I was running it into 115 and 210 PF cabs. I sold it on with the 210 cab to a friend who will never use it in anger. I used the 115 cab in a pub gig this weekend with my Markbass BB head and the cab sounded great...