Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM-15 hum and hiss

SingleMalt

Hey folks.

So I've had two different Ashdown CTM-15 heads now (the first had a faulty VU meter and had to be replaced) in the form of the DH-115-C110 drophead combo units (nice bit of kit by the way).

Both have [b]stupid [/b]amounts of hum when the volume or gain are turned up. This is true with no bass plugged in at all and with a bass hooked up. The hum does get worse with a bass though (It's a very well shielded Precision, never had any issues with hum with it before).

With the gain below 9 o'clock and the volume bellow 12 its not too bad, just a little hum. Raising just the volume to max gives a boat load of hiss and hum, raising the gain as well produces an insane amount.

She still has the stock Chinese valves although I'm planning on swapping them for some NoS Sovtek EL84s and a GT ECC83/5751 soon.

I did find another thread on here a week or so ago where someone mentioned hum with their CTM-15 but I cannot find it again for the life of me.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Do you think I need to raise this issue with Ashdown? Like I said both units I've had have the same problem.

Cheers!

Edited by SingleMalt

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1421274831' post='2659402']
Sounds like it could be a noisy valve as shouldn't be particularly hissy, fire an email to [email protected] and let's see what we can do
[/quote]

Ashdown really should be complemented on their excellent customer service. I've had good service from british companies in the past notably Trace, Celestion, Cloud and Allen & Heath but it seems Ashdown go the extra mile for their customers. It's nice to see them well represented on this forum too. Top drawer, chaps. :D

Hope the O/P gets his amp sorted. ;)

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1421308543' post='2659546']
I've never heard an amp that didn't hiss an hum like crazy with gain and master all the way up. Even the super high-tech ones do!
[/quote]

Of course I expect some hum, but not this amount. Right now I've got the amp on in the next room with volume set to 3 o clock and gain at 10 o clock. I can hear the hissing through the wall (and I live in an old house with thick walls).

I tried recording it with my phone but sadly you can't hear any difference between a tiny bit of hiss and loads. Rubbish phone microphones!

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1421324939' post='2659820']
The CTM 15 isnt all valve tho, its a solid state front end pushing a valve power section.

[/quote]

I assume the ecc83 is just a phase inverter then?

A little naught of Ashdown considering that they are marketed on gear shops as being all valve. This is something Ashdown need to address, their retailers should be not listing it as all valve if it's not. It was one of the reasons why I brought it (an inexpensive way to play around with valve amps), although it's not the end of the world as I do like the sound and can't tell it's not all valve from the sound.

Even the manual states the preamp is an ecc83 and yet if you look at internal pictures online you can see opamps in there.

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1421495161' post='2661934']
I have had similar issues with mine. I did log it via Ashdown's website but had no reply so I will email Guy. Love the tone of this thing!
[/quote]

Well you may be waiting a while, I haven't heard anything back yet.

I might just try swapping the valves.

Guy has always been really quick to reply in the past when I have had questions. Maybe there's still a bit of a backlog from when they relocated to a new premises recently.

I really like the CTM-15 and are looking into them as an alternative to my CTM100 for smaller gigs. I agree some clarification may be needed about the nature of the valves, but they sound great and that's the main thing. Hopefully Guy will get back to you soon!

I've read you can get hum from pre-amp valves using an AC supply for the heater (rather than a DC rectified supply) but this is more a circuit design issue than a fault (I think this is what affects my old WEM Westminster 15 valve combo). There are also ways of routing internal wires that minimise hum - this is obviously a manufacturing consideration. I hope whatever's the cause of the hum with your Ashdown it can be fixed easily!

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1421330135' post='2659928']
I assume the ecc83 is just a phase inverter then?

A little naught of Ashdown considering that they are marketed on gear shops as being all valve. This is something Ashdown need to address, their retailers should be not listing it as all valve if it's not. It was one of the reasons why I brought it (an inexpensive way to play around with valve amps), although it's not the end of the world as I do like the sound and can't tell it's not all valve from the sound.

Even the manual states the preamp is an ecc83 and yet if you look at internal pictures online you can see opamps in there.
[/quote]

Anyone ever pulled them to task on this? All their ad's state All Valve

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1421929428' post='2666678']
Anyone ever pulled them to task on this? All their ad's state All Valve
[/quote]

I asked them in an email about a Month ago and haven't heard anything back.

Still haven't heard anything in from their engineer about my issue. It's been 10 days now.

Edited by SingleMalt

• 2 weeks later...

Still not a peep from from their engineer!

I sent another email but still nothing.

I might just swap in the valves I want to use and see if that helps, although I still don't know if changing the 'pre-amp' valve will make a difference. I've heard that it's just a phase inverter and I've also heard that it actually is the pre-amp and the op-amps inside are for the EQ.

I may give them a call in the morning if I get the time.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1423159754' post='2681626']
Still not a peep from from their engineer!

I sent another email but still nothing.

I might just swap in the valves I want to use and see if that helps, although I still don't know if changing the 'pre-amp' valve will make a difference. I've heard that it's just a phase inverter and I've also heard that it actually is the pre-amp and the op-amps inside are for the EQ.

I may give them a call in the morning if I get the time.
[/quote]

Hi did you get any joy from Ashdown? I'm now have the same hissing issues with my CTM 15