Why become a member? ×

Jack of all trades amps

M@23

Moving on from my Little Mark, as I've had it 3 years or so and just fancy a change, even though i do like it very much. I got two TKS112 recently and now seems like a good time to try a new amp. Given my location, taking my gear to a shop to test a few amps would prove quite a task, and fairly expensive. I've tried a Tone Hammer 500 and really liked it, but have just seen the Tecamp Puma 500 on Thomann, and they look pretty smart and like the TH, offer good clean and slightly warmer softer tones.

My main gig is a functions band, and the TH500 and Puma both seem like they might be good options.

Anyone got experience of both? Any opinions of which would be best as a jack of all trades for a pop cover/functions band.

Cheers dudes.

My new rig will be the TKS112s with a TH500. ( Tommy has just sent the speakers :) )
And i know im not the first with this set up in these parts.
I tested it down at BassGear a few months ago and it sounded awesome.
I also tested the TKS with a LM3, a Big Bang, a GK, ATS. The ATS was really good aswell, but it was also a lot more expensive.
The TH500 was the outright winner for me.
I havent tried a Puma, so can't comment how they would sound. But if you went for the TH i think you would be very pleased.
Where are you based? Im in South Wales if you wanted to come and see how the rig sounds?

Thanks very much for the offer, i'm on the Isle of Wight though. I tried the TH500 and thought it was great, vintage meets modern, but unfortunately not used it with my cabs. But, people do say they pair up well.

The Puma does look nice and also not too difficult to get useable tones from - a spanner in the works, as i was/am pretty much decided on the TH!

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1421328601' post='2659889']
Sounds like the classic pull the trigger on one, regret not buying the other quandry - suspect either would be fantastic.
[/quote]

Yes! It's a win-win/lose-lose scenario!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1421333794' post='2660019']
The Tonehammer does have a good resale value. That might be worth bearing in mind?
[/quote]

Yeah, that is a good point. I'm pretty sure I'd love it though. Does it do a cleaner tone too? I spent most of my time playing with the drive control. The clean tone was still nice and warm and round with great lows, but it's hard to tell properly at low volume.

It does do clean fairly well - if you take the drive all the way off, you can then mess around with the gain just to get the cleaner sounds. Gain is a bit of a strange one on these amps, with the gain on full I found there to be a slight breakup using my Precision, but nothing like distortion or overdrive, and the sound was much more modern that way, rather than with putting the drive on full and backing off of the gain.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1421341293' post='2660156']
It does do clean fairly well - if you take the drive all the way off, you can then mess around with the gain just to get the cleaner sounds. Gain is a bit of a strange one on these amps, with the gain on full I found there to be a slight breakup using my Precision, but nothing like distortion or overdrive, and the sound was much more modern that way, rather than with putting the drive on full and backing off of the gain.
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz. I read the gain reacted to the drive and that the pre amp being overloaded can be usable - which is different to every other amp I've owned.

I did try the GK once, it was really nice. But I think out of the box, maybe a bit aggressive in the upper mids for what I'm after. Don't get me wrong, it would definitely do the job. But, got a feeling it might not be the best man for the job. My Markbass is on the way to it's new owner, so I'd better put an order in really. I'll be begging and borrowing for the next few gigs anyway!

The TH500 was just a bit too "vintagey" for me. Not enough top end when I wanted it, which is not all the time, but sometimes I do. Great chewy thick tones but not hugely versatile IMO. But then the Puma won't do tonehammer tones will it.

Do you use pedals or do you want everything from your amp. Puma plus pedals would be a good options IMO

For me, the GK RB series are some of the most versatile amps out there. Maybe the Markbass TTE 500/800 ?

I'm really wanting to try the new Fender Rumble 500. The Rumble range have sounded good and been really reliable for many years and I also have a real soft spot for Fender Solid state overdrive.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1421603337' post='2663168']
The TH500 was just a bit too "vintagey" for me. Not enough top end when I wanted it, which is not all the time, but sometimes I do. Great chewy thick tones but not hugely versatile IMO. But then the Puma won't do tonehammer tones will it.

Do you use pedals or do you want everything from your amp. Puma plus pedals would be a good options IMO

For me, the GK RB series are some of the most versatile amps out there. Maybe the Markbass TTE 500/800 ?

I'm really wanting to try the new Fender Rumble 500. The Rumble range have sounded good and been really reliable for many years and I also have a real soft spot for Fender Solid state overdrive.
[/quote]

Great shout on the TTE500. Hadn't considered that, but they do look good.
With the Little Mark I used a Boss SD1 set as a clean boost which warmed the sound up and added that bit of hair to the mids. I'd likely do something similar with the Puma if the taste pot didn't do it for me. I always dialled the highs back on the Little Mark too and don't use tweeters in ceramic cabs. So I'm not after zingy highs at all. Which us what nade me think thay the Tone Hammer would be best. I wonder if the TTE series are still Italian made, prices haven't dropped any.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1421604633' post='2663185']

Great shout on the TTE500. Hadn't considered that, but they do look good.
With the Little Mark I used a Boss SD1 set as a clean boost which warmed the sound up and added that bit of hair to the mids. I'd likely do something similar with the Puma if the taste pot didn't do it for me. I always dialled the highs back on the Little Mark too and don't use tweeters in ceramic cabs. So I'm not after zingy highs at all. Which us what nade me think thay the Tone Hammer would be best. I wonder if the TTE series are still Italian made, prices haven't dropped any.
[/quote]

Fair enough, if you don't use a tweeter, the TH500 will almost certainly be all you need. My only complaint with the TH was it's top end, which for you is irrelevant.

Oh, and ditch that SD-1, get a COG Knightfall and a blend pedal (seriously, I don't often write this, but you will thank me later).

Edited by hamfist

Probably not the sort of thing you're after but for a cheap 'Jack of all trades' amp, I don't think you can beat the TC BH500. It's got dirt if you want it, spanky cleans if you don't - spectra comp for added fatness, tube drive and tweeter tone. Boat loads of tonal options!

The TH wont do my defintion of glassy highs but who'd want that brittleness anyway...!!
I could put it there with the presense on my basses but it is a non-sound IMO, and
I say that as someone who likes and needs top in their sound. It is just that the
TH limits that really glissy frequency naturally and I regard that as unusable and
unwanted tonally.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421770876' post='2664799']
And the TH paired with S112's will not be lacking definition in the mids and clarity
and cut in the highs. In this regard the amp shaded the PF500 which is another
decent lightweight amp which works with the S112's, IMO.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I did consider the Ampeg but the reliability queries put me off. Might try get one second hand as come March, the gigs I'm doing will require a decent backup. I ordered a TH500 today :-) got a few gigs this weekend so will give it a really good test. Very much looking forward to its arrival!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1421603337' post='2663168']

[/quote] ive just got a 1001rb combo in a trade. Not had enough time to explore it fully yet but its sure can do a lot. Any suggestions of things to try?