Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Treatment Before and After Test

AsterL

Not a recording as such, but I finished off a before and after comparison in my home studio of Acoustic treatment.
Its done in a generalised overview and vlog style format so if that's not your bag then be warned!

If you have any questions about the room or the treatment I used let me know! :)
[media]http://youtu.be/26Ao9uQTlj4[/media]

Edited by AsterL

That was great. I've had the importance of acoustic treatment drummed into me from every source but it's hard to say to myself that it's worth the pain of doing it all. My living room is my studio and I live in a rented flat (I put a small tack in a wall to hang a picture on and was told I'd have to remove it, fill in the hole and repaint the wall when I leave or I'll get charged for it). So going ahead with acoustic treatment is a huge leap in terms of practicality. Anyway, it was good to hear the actual difference it makes as it's a fear that I won't be able to tell the difference.

I'd love to hear each of the individual instrument tests one after the other so you hear the kick in the untreated room, the bass trap room and the treated room one after the other. That would give a great comparison.

Looks good, though theres some serious high end diffusion, and pretty much no bass trapping going off, so while the sound is very tight, I'd be very surprised if your listening experience is not a little inaccurate. Do you not get standing waves building up in the corners? Or is bass trapping part 2?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1421354142' post='2660364']
Looks good, though theres some serious high end diffusion, and pretty much no bass trapping going off, so while the sound is very tight, I'd be very surprised if your listening experience is not a little inaccurate. Do you not get standing waves building up in the corners? Or is bass trapping part 2?
[/quote]

I'm unable to add more bass traps do to the locations of the door and the walk in closet in the room. If I had the budget I'd add more and change the positions of things, but actually I don't have any problems with standing waves in the LF spectrum. From my testing it was all in the mid range and the top 4 corner bass traps focus the bass a lot more.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1421349396' post='2660291']

I'd love to hear each of the individual instrument tests one after the other so you hear the kick in the untreated room, the bass trap room and the treated room one after the other. That would give a great comparison.
[/quote]

Yes a lot of people have asked for that! I'll if I can cut one together later next week and post here

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1421354142' post='2660364']
[/quote]

A room has more than 4 corners though - There are the lengths where the wall meets the floor, and the ceiling. Often standing waves are worse along the top and bottom of the rear wall than they are in the corners. Obviously, the room may be fine without them, but given it's shape, and top end treatment, I imagine it'd benefit.