Why become a member? ×

Raygun FX

TRBboy

Morning all, just wondered if anyone here had any experience of Raygun FX stompboxes? I stumbled across their website the other day, and I think they seem pretty good for a reasonable price. I'm quite interested in the Bass Driver.

http://fuzzboxes.co.uk/product-category/bass-fx

Edited by TRBboy

They do look interesting don't they! There's video clips of some of them too. I've been emailing Steve at Raygun with some questions and he's very helpful. Think I might have to go for a Bass Driver....

FYI, he says that the Bass Crank is effectively a clone of the Zvex SHO, but modded to optimise it for bass. The Bass Driver is entirely his own creation.

Haven't played on but been toying around with buying a bass driver too and a custom fuzz.
Spoken to him on and off a few times and seems to offer a top shelf service and the prices are good.

A note for bassists is he always has said he can mod anything for bass (although his stuff seems to be transparent-ish by nature) for free.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I did actually buy a bass driver in the end, and although it was nicely put together, the sound was really not what I was hoping for.

I want to just say how helpful Steve at Raygun is too.

It was definitely pretty transparent, but rather than being a natural overdrive it sounded more like a fuzz pedal with the gain turned down. It seems like the fuzz is sort of 'on top' of the bass sound rather than blended with it. I found that the growl switch sapped all of the bottom end and guts of my sound; I think it's really only any use if you're after that 'battery amp' type of effect, which is quite specific. I was looking for more of a natural overdrive than a fuzz or distortion.

I don't know whether the signal from my basses was too hot for it maybe, although they are only 9v. Maybe it would work better with a passive bass.

Steve was very helpful throughout, and let me return the pedal for a refund.I think that Raygun FX pedals are good quality, the bass divert just wasn't what I was looking for, or what I expected.