Why become a member? ×

The Sound of Song BBC4

essexbasscat

What an interesting programme.

Went all the way back to Thomas Edison's invention of the tin roll to capture sound and play it back for the very first time, showing the machine that did it and the very first recorded sound ever heard - Edison reciting Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Later on, the very first blues recordings, including Louis Armstrong playing a mean trumpet and improvising vocals on spot - again a first on record.

Absolutely fascinating :)

Yes, totally fascinating and well worth watching. I didn't know that the invention of the microphone ('little voice') had such a massive influence on the way songs were sung and the subsequent effects on young women and society in general! Now we can see much more clearly how rock 'n' roll evolved. Brilliant. Definitely will be watching the next two instalments and recording them.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1422289635' post='2670734']
Watched the second episode on the iplayer today, really enjoyed it, looking forward to the next one.
[/quote]

Looking forward to watching the second one this evening. Also I'm making chili ragu with penne. :rolleyes:
Christ, I should be on Twitter doing this crap.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1422311739' post='2671160']
Could watch hours of this kind of thing on the workings of early multi-track and microphone technology.
Fascinating.
[/quote]

I loved the bit about Bing Crosby investing $50K in Ampex so he could spend more time on the golf course :D

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1421453835' post='2661637']
This guy did a great series about movie soundtracks a while back too.
[/quote]

Yes, that was excellent too.

It's great to have documentary programmes about music written and presented by someone who knows his stuff. Not just parroting what some junior researchers have found on Wikipedia.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1422725199' post='2676140']
Saw Ep.3 last night; was it me or did it run out of steam a bit?
[/quote]

I didn't think so, I enjoyed it as much as the other two.

It was certainly more enjoyable than listening to all the pretentious bastards on the Kraftwerk documentary that was on after it. Loved the music, but boy were there some up-themselves people on there.
Paul Morley is one of those people I could never grow tired of punching.