Why become a member? ×

DIY Patch Cable Kits.

ambient

I'm kind of interested in something like this -

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMQ7R8E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MX5N9D25MEY8V0KCMTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMQ7R8E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MX5N9D25MEY8V0KCMTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294[/url]

Or maybe the George L's.

At the moment I'm just using some ready made Planetwaves things. Problem is they're not really the right length, and they're all angled jacks, and I want some angled and some straight.

Are these things easy to assemble without soldering (I'm pretty dangerous with a soldering iron :))

Can you use angled and straight jacks ?

Maybe draw up a list of the cables you need, and pass that over to our expert, OBBM for an estimate..? At least, then, you'd be sure of having the best which will last a lifetime. Worth a go..?

([i]He may hate me for suggesting this; he could be sick and tired of endlessly creating these masterpieces..![/i] :blush:[size=4] )[/size]

Over the years on my guitar boards I tried a few things.

George L's : Really easy to make - they always worked first time for me - but then I'd go 6 or more months of happy camping and then one day ... silence .... and at rehearsal or soundcheck you are unscrewing and re-screwing them all to find the one that is playing up. It doesn't matter if this only happens once in 5 years - in that moment it's a nightmare!

Lava : good grief what a faff. I made up 6 or 7 from my kit. One of them worked first time. Felt like I needed bionic fingers to do them up at all. They seem to work perfectly well now but I'm not in a hurry to buy more, put it that way :-) Lava is a company with hyperbole marketing and a fanboy fan base so I'll probably get stalked or a fatwa now... :-)

The best solution : I'm completely sold on having cable of the right length rather than compromise layout - and the absolute best of both worlds is to make some or get someone to make you some - and yes there are low profile plugs that can be solderd - eg Hicon . If you can't make your own then somewhere like Kabl will do it pretty reasonably : http://www.kablonline.com/instrument.html

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1421447433' post='2661505']
I'm kind of interested in something like this -

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMQ7R8E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MX5N9D25MEY8V0KCMTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294"]http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468294[/url]

Or maybe the George L's.

At the moment I'm just using some ready made Planetwaves things. Problem is they're not really the right length, and they're all angled jacks, and I want some angled and some straight.

Are these things easy to assemble without soldering (I'm pretty dangerous with a soldering iron :))

Can you use angled and straight jacks ?
[/quote]

I have Lava Plugs on my guitar pedalboard:

They are a bit fiddly to do at first, and you need to set the cable at the correct angle coming out of the plug to suit your layout. You will also need some good quality wire cutters (i.e. small and sharp) - normal side-cutters will just make a mess.

They aren't cheap, but you can sometimes find them used on eBay.

EDIT: And yes, OBBM of this parish produces nothing but quality kit!

Edited by JapanAxe

I've gone down the George L's route. And I buy all the plugs, straight and right angled, used on here. The cable is cheap enough to buy online a couple of metres at a time. One tip when using this type of connector is to check each cable is working ok right after you make it. The first time I wired up my whole board only to find that I had no signal going to my amp. I had to pull the whole board apart and test every cable. Sods law, the second to last one I tested was the culprit.
The only down side to George L's are that the right anged connectors stick out by 17mm, which is fine on pedals with north mounted jacks, but they add quite a bit of width to a pedal with side mounted jacks. For these pedals I sometimes use those low profile mushroom patch cables to save space.

[quote name='timmyo' timestamp='1421493269' post='2661888']
Ah - who is this [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OBBM of whom we speak ? Sounds worth knowing! [/font][/color]
[/quote]
[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1421493895' post='2661904']
OBBM makes cables under the RockWire brand. Top top quality and great prices. He must have a time machine or something too because you'll everything within 48 hours.

Truckstop
[/quote]

This ^^, to which I'd add that he's the King of custom, and delivers top-notch products to the spec. that you've agreed on, at top-notch speed whilst retaining realistic prices. He's also an active member on BC, with a top-notch reputation. What could be better..?

• 1 month later...