Why become a member? ×

New to flatwounds quick question

Thunderbird

[size=4]Hi all I just put some Status hotwires flats on my bass but the E string seems very dull compared to the other strings I know that flats are not bright and zingy but I can really hear the difference when playing and the E just seems very dull compared to the other strings it almost sounds like a dead round wound I have altered the pup height to see it that helps but it did not really so is this normal with flats? is this how they should be? I am thinking that when the other strings dull down a bit it may sound OK but having never used flats I am not really sure if this is normal so thought I would ask you guys [/size]

[size=4]Thanks in advance :)[/size]

In all my years of playing, I've never had a duff string. I never even thought about it. I guess I've been lucky. That would be very frustrating if you have a big gig coming up and your string sounds dead. I use rounds exclusively, I've tried flats but couldn't get with them at all.

[quote name='Brother Jones' timestamp='1421599363' post='2663104']
It may be that the string is just a bit twisted. Have you tried taking it off, and putting it back on, ensuring that it's twist-free? Alternatively, try dropping it in a pan of simmering water for 10 mins.
[/quote] Yep I took the string off and refitted but was still the same :( I don't really want to do the water thing as it is a brand new string and they may want it back to test it or something

I got a set recently for my short scale Jaguar. They seem to be tighter wound than other flats, you can hardly see the windings, compared to D'Addario or TIs. I suspect this makes them stiffer and hence sound a bit duller than the others. I've now put them on a Harley Benton short scale (which had awful rounds on). E is not too bad, slightly duller but OK. maybe you have a bad one. They say they are hand wound, so perhaps there is some variation.

[font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"]([/color][/size][/font][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"](0[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]
[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1421843968' post='2665589']
Just an update really I have contacted Status a couple of times but had no reply yet which is a bit of a bummer as I want to use the bass and cant until I get a replacement :(
[/quote]01206 868150?
[font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"])1206 868150[/color][/size][/font]0)1206 868150[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1421844280' post='2665596']
[font=Verdana][color=#ffffff]([/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=#ffffff](0[/color][/font]
01206 868150?
[font=Verdana][color=#ffffff])1206 8681500)1206 868150[/color][/font]
[/quote] Thanks Jon I emailed but will give them a couple more days to get back to me then I will call cheers :)

Well I spoke to a very nice lady from Status today and she is sending me a new string from a different batch so maybe the last batch was bad? anyway she told me to let her know if I am happy when the new string comes which I will do and if it is nice like the other 3 in my set I will order some more :)

• 1 month later...

I ordered 4 sets of different strings from status last year and had similar issues. They were quick to respond to emails but slow to provide a replacement. I got the impression Status suffer a lot of issues with people misfitting strings (I didn't realise you could misfit them in a way that could permanently damage the strings ?) as most of the initial emails phone calls were about how I had fitted the strings - and all about how the string bends going into the tuner.

They initially sent a single replacement E string which also was dead. I kept status in the loop, but didn't get much response.
Then after a while and out of the blue 2 complete sets of strings arrived in the post. These were from a new batch and were all good uns, so overall good service and a very happy customer.

In 30 odd years of playing these are the first strings I've ever had this kind of problem with.

Edited by Dazed

• 3 weeks later...