Why become a member? ×

Twisted / warped neck, repairable?

Guest MoJo

I bought a Silver Series Squier Precision off BC's very own Loudnclear. Terry had replaced the neck as the original had a twist in it. I have the original neck and although I love the bass as it is, it'd be nice for it to be 100% original. Is there any way the twist can be taken out of the original neck or is it just firewood now?

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/2015-01-17%2017.45.19_zps9av04psv.png.html

This is the heel of the neck with the head lying flat on the surface

I've straightened quite a few necks using the same method Dave uses in the video but never tried to take a twist out.

I've a couple of ideas but having never tested them myself they could well be useless or be a long road for a shortcut.
I'll have a good think about it but the main idea I've got involves a lot of work.

Keep you posted.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1421525330' post='2662345']
I've straightened quite a few necks using the same method Dave uses in the video but never tried to take a twist out.

I've a couple of ideas but having never tested them myself they could well be useless or be a long road for a shortcut.
I'll have a good think about it but the main idea I've got involves a lot of work.

Keep you posted.
[/quote]

Thanks

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1421521912' post='2662283']
I've read that heating a neck and then clamping it straight can work - but I don't know how luthiers apply the heat - do they use heat guns? That neck's pretty badly twisted though :unsure:
[/quote]

Halogen lights usually, left all day and over night, though it often works in the short term, apparently there is no guarantee it'll last. I had a 70's Strat done years back, it had a massive chunky neck. I informed the guy who's bought it from me but never got to find out if it lasted, it was in 10/10 condition otherwise so I don't think he was playing it anyway.

That's about as severe a twist as I've seen. The only reliable way to have that straightened will be to split the fretboard from the neck, level the neck then reapply the fretboard (or more likely, a new one). Downsides is the neck will probably be thinner or need a more slab-like fretboard. It's not a job for an amateur though, this is heavy duty luthier work.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1421775752' post='2664888']
That's about as severe a twist as I've seen. The only reliable way to have that straightened will be to split the fretboard from the neck, level the neck then reapply the fretboard (or more likely, a new one). Downsides is the neck will probably be thinner or need a more slab-like fretboard. It's not a job for an amateur though, this is heavy duty luthier work.
[/quote]

It is saying give me a nice slab of ebony fretless. My wallet is saying this will not be cost effective :(