Why become a member? ×

Help me please EMG installers

Brother Jones

I'm thinking of putting EMGs (either regular ones or JV-Xs) in my 2012 US Standard Jazz. I do like the sound of the CS pups that it has now, but the room where I practice is beset with RFI and electrical noise, and I'm keen to be hum free.

You can guess what's coming next. The control cavity rout is 3cm deep. A 9V battery is 2cm deep. The existing pots are 1.5cm. So I'm short by 0.5cm.

Can anyone tell me how deep the pots that EMG supply with their pups are, before I start routing?

Thanks.

From memory, they are mini pots...quite a lot smaller than standard. I've put EMG's in a few Brandoni/Japanese bodies and although a bit tight, its always worked fine. Worst case is getting the cavity deepened a mm or two, which wouldn't cost much to have done. You may also find that if you ask a luthier to supply and fit, he doesn't really charge for the fitting.

There are also some very good passive humbucker versions around..Aguilar, Nordstrand etc which don't need a battery and would be pretty quiet in use.

I know it's a bit off piste here but as a massive #fanbois, you could run them at 24v. And no, that doesn't involve 2 and a half 9vs ;-)

You can get A23 12v cells which are really small. Think a third of the size of a AAA in length and thinner in diameter. You can get these from anywhere, they're the type of battery used for remote controls etc and I get mine from the local supermarket or DIY store. Then search eBay, you'll be able to pick up some A23 double carriers, some 9v connectors and a bit of heatshrink. A bit of soldering and you've got a resusable 24v cell which is considerably smaller than a standard 9v battery. The EMGs will run up to 27v so you'll get loads of headroom which will really open them up.

Everyones a winner. You don't have to route out your bass and you'll be able to increase the headroom on your EMGs.

Here's a pic.....

http://instagram.com/p/jE4LDhgvYQ/

PS. I know I've wired them up wrong. This was the first go, forgot that red had to go to black on the connector. lol

Thanks chaps. The attractions of the EMGs for me are (a) the self-install thing and (B) the option of self-installing at a later date their BTC preamp with a pan pot. I do like Nords and Ags though.

Tony - that's a very interesting idea. Mind you, it would mean soldering, which I've never done before. Hey, how hard can it be?

PS BassBod your WT300 is still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...