Why become a member? ×

Decent sandpaper for smoothing a primer coat and finishing?

tommorichards

Ive got 2 basses that need their finish sanding down, however i seem to keep getting rubbish stuff as even though the paint is cured, it clogs really fast or the roughness of the sandpaper fades really quickly. Anyone got any brands that they can direct me to that they know definitely work? Ideally a full set of grits to enable me to fully finish a body.

Edited by tommorichards

For flatting primer, I use 600 grit from Rothko & Frost. It's always best to use it 'wet' as it stops the clogging up and you can roll the wet sandpaper to get the little lines and dots of paint off. I normally find I use about half a sheet to flat a whole body. For your topcoats, I'd recommend starting with 1000 grit, followed by 1500 and finally 2000 grit. Some people I know like to go to 2500 or 3000 grit, but I find that 2000 grit followed by using good burnishing creams does the job, although if I'm doing another black body, I would try 2500 before burnishing to try to reduce the amount of elbow grease used (I hand burnish/polish).