Why become a member? ×

MXR - M87 Bass Compressor

peteb

Following on from the many threads on compression I thought that I would start one on the MXR - M87, which I know loads of players are adding to their live rigs due to its transparency, monitoring and flexibility. However, I am sure that there are plenty like me who are struggling to set the f**kin thing up and getting completely lost on how the various knobs work together (to the extent that I have put my old EBS multi-comp back on my board ahead of the next round of gigs I’m doing starting next weekend).

I have always used a small amount of compression (without really understanding the nuts and bolts of how it works) left on all the time so that you hardly know it’s there. The idea is that it helps the bass sit in the mix and evens out the differences in volume between different techniques i.e. playing chords, pumping out straight eights on an open E and then playing faster higher runs, etc. Personally I find compression helps to ensure that none of these parts get lost in the mix and have happily used an onboard compressor on an amp and then an EBS multi-comp for many years with no problems. However, I am struggling with how to set the Attack and Release controls on the M87. Also, I have tried to set the Input so that my signal tends to light up all the green lights, occasionally going into the yellow on the Gain Reduction monitor. I read somewhere that this was the thing to do but am I compressing the life out of my signal by having way too much Gain Reduction? Would I be better to try and keep it generally around -3dB??

I know that perhaps I might have to go back to a simpler compressor, but is there anybody here who understands these things who can help me to make the most out of what is what is supposed to be a great piece of kit? I am playing hard rock or blues rock fingerstyle and using active basses (either a Xotic Jazz or a Warwick Streamer Stage 1).

Any advice / help please??

Hi mate, I have one of these.

Definitely the best pedal comp I've heard in action, partly due to the fact I can't hear it work. I could tell you how I set mine but I like strong compression, it brings out harmonics, I play finger style and don't touch pics, this little unit really shows which part of the string you're pulling from, close to bridge very twangy, close to neck very warm...the top left knob I have set to full on, top right a l m o s t full on, input around 11 o'clock, output just under 1 o'clock but my Attitude bass is very loud so this keeps the signal in check, at least as far as my sound goes anyway, and the Middle switch is on full compression too. Very recently changed from Hartke back to two Ampeg combos so I now need another comp, possibly a basic one for the bass channel - how expensive is this malarkey?? Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lee.

I've got the M87 and felt it was a fantastic pedal when using it with certain basses but when using it with my current bass I haven't been able to find a setting in which it seemed to work nomatter how many hours I put into setting the bloody thing up. Real shame as I've loved how it was to use in the past!