Why become a member? ×

Changing my cabs quandry!

largo

What should I do?

I currently play through a pair 2 x GK Neo 112-ii cabs, nice weight (14kg) nice size (19" rack sits nicely on top & they fit perfectly in our trailer) and decent tone. I prefer 2 have 2 cabs as it means if one cab goes I can keep going.

Anyway, GAS got the better of me just before Christmas and I "acquired" a Vanderkley 210MNT cab. A bit heavier, a bit taller (actually slightly narrower) and a brilliant tone! I still think I prefer 10" speakers & know there will be the usual suspects telling me a 15" can sound like a 10" but I've still to hear it for myself.

Anyway, question is. Can I get opinions & reasons to buy the 2nd Vanderkley and not just sell the first again? I'm only in a wedding/function band so tight stage spaces & easy lifting are priority.

Cheers

A second Vanderkley will just sit on top of the first cab so won't take up any more space on stage.

The best reason to get another cab is 2 will sound 5 times better than 1.

Of course, if you have the budget, you could hang on for a few more weeks and check out the new Bergantino CN210 cabs when they arrive.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1421659958' post='2663581']
What should I do?

I currently play through a pair 2 x GK Neo 112-ii cabs, nice weight (14kg) nice size (19" rack sits nicely on top & they fit perfectly in our trailer) and decent tone. I prefer 2 have 2 cabs as it means if one cab goes I can keep going.

Anyway, GAS got the better of me just before Christmas and I "acquired" a Vanderkley 210MNT cab. A bit heavier, a bit taller (actually slightly narrower) and a brilliant tone! I still think I prefer 10" speakers & know there will be the usual suspects telling me a 15" can sound like a 10" but I've still to hear it for myself.

Anyway, question is. Can I get opinions & reasons to buy the 2nd Vanderkley and not just sell the first again? I'm only in a wedding/function band so tight stage spaces & easy lifting are priority.

Cheers
[/quote]

I'm not of the opinion that Vanderkley are the arbitor of cabs but I'd definitely get 2x210's if you like the first one so much.
There is not doubt they make great cabs and they wouldn't take up so much room as you use a single anyway.
2x210's are going to be able to cover the vast majority of gigs if your amp is upto it.

I run two Bergie 210 cabs and the 2 together is way more than the sum of the parts.
They cover 90% of my gigs without using the PA. I'd say doubling up would be a good way to go.
B)

Hi Happy Jack, only every had one speaker go "farty" on me and that was a long time ago. However, playing in a wedding/function band and picking up the kind of money this type of gig pays then its my opinion that you carry gear to cover any eventuality. 2 "smaller" cabs instead of 1 "larger" cab is an easy way to make sure I always have a backup cab with me.

The new Berg CN210 looks good too, but I've started down the Vanderkley route, personally I like the square(r) shape and their red too! Fickle lot us Bass Players.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1421777089' post='2664902']
Zooming way off topic, but has this ever happened to you?
[/quote]

Yes..relatively recently. I was runnng 2x112's and one cab went down and I didn't hear that straight away altho
I knew 'something' was wrong/not quite right. The cab didn't degrade as I would have heard that... it just wasn't there
but I still don't know when it went...and as long as you have sound, you aren't going to stop and get on your knees
and listen...or at least, I didn't...

Must say it wouldn't influence what cabs I took out tho...