Why become a member? ×

Buying a double bass

chrisgriff

Just another bit of reassurance should you decide to order a new bass online - I've had basses from Strunal and Duke that I've bought "unplayed" and been extremely happy with both. The key is to research the hell out of it up front and minimise any risk that way. And to put the money aside for a setup on arrival (soundposts are often in the wrong place or cut too long to stop them falling in transit, for example).

I also bought my first bass of EBay knowing pretty much nothing, had a great time with it and sold it on at pretty much break-even, so even when you do everything wrong it can still work out fine. Just enjoy some if the coolest shopping you'll ever do

I thought I had done loads of research (well, I have) but can't believe I'd missed the Gedo website. Some great offers on there and because I'm getting impatient/overexcited, I think I've narrowed it down to a couple in particular......I just need my house sale to complete then I'm good to go!

Cheers guys, and Stingraypete77 in particular :-)

Ha no problem, Gedo are great to deal with and nicely shipped. They will alter the standard specs to suit you, I added Spirocore weich strings and an adjustable bridge to the model they had listed, I took a bit more off the bridge and had to fiddle about a bit to get it where I was happy but nothing too tricky, strings were pre fitted, sound post stayed in place etc. If I had took it straight to Tofts or similar I bet it could be even better, I wanted one I could grow into rather than need to sell if I liked it and so far so good, the solid top, ebony board and adjustable bridge mean it can be setup at a later date including a board shoot but as Geoff likes it and Jake sees no reason to mess I haven't :)

Good luck with the house sale, and feel free to come and see mine some time to get an idea of what the fit and finish is like etc, just drop me a pm.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421877473' post='2666214']
......I wanted one I could grow into rather than need to sell if I liked it and so far so good, the solid top, ebony board and adjustable bridge mean it can be setup at a later date......

Good luck with the house sale, and feel free to come and see mine some time to get an idea of what the fit and finish is like etc, just drop me a pm.
[/quote]

My David Gage, which I bought from Greg on here, came fitted with an adjustable bridge
If you can go for a Gedo with one of these, I'd recommend it

I've tweaked the bridge height on my DB a few times, until I got it just how I wanted
Something not so easy with a bridge you need to carve to shape...
plus of course, I can always change it again, should my style of playing change (i.e. improve lol)

I have to say, I really like the look and colours / tones of some of those Gedo basses :)

Good luck with the house sale / move from me too

Cheers again

If you are prepared to travel (you should be for a double bass) Peter Tyler has a selection within your price range and can be contacted on [URL=https://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales]Musical Chairs[/URL] and if you can stretch to the £2 - £3k bracket, Ben Packham has a couple of very nice DBs in that category, which would cost much more from a standard dealer!

Edited by philparker

• 5 weeks later...

Well, today I put in an order from Gedo for a fully carved Strunal bass, with adjustable bridge and Evah Pirazzi strings....and for a great price. It should arrive in 2-3 days so as a tip of my hat to all of you who helped me focus my search, I'll update the thread on its arrival (I hope it goes well!). I'm trying not to get too excited!
Thanks guys :-)

Hi chriissgriff,
I bought a full size fully carved from Gedo,last year id, have to look up the exact ;price and model but around £1500 gedo will supply the better strings and adjustable bridge on request included in the same price,the bass i was after was advertised on ebay but they had made a mistake (none in stock ) the one they offered me was around £160 more but they let me have it for the price of the one advertised.(i had to Google the item No.on their Geman site and use info in German and translate it the best i could with PC Translatiing thingy bob )
I play in an orchestra and jazz i have a circ 1900 German bass,i was looking at new ones as iwant to have work done on the old bass,
So whats it like ? action is heavier than my OLD db and bowing doesent sound as nice ,
But it is new and needs loads of playing with the bow then it might start sounding better i took it on a jazz course having just set it up two or three days before (strings are on but bridge down whe receifed ) it sounds great through the amp so i was well pleased and one of the other bass players has the same type but half size.
If you receive it damaged Gedo will pay for repairs done in uk (so they said)
Some things to think about and the other guys have gave you sound advice are
If your going for an old Bass try and get one prety much structually sound ,stay away from cracks splits on the front table near the bridge and also neck breakages it may or may not have had a good repair , an old bass will generaly increase in valuewhere as a new bass will drop in value.
If your a new player i would advise going for lessons you'll learn proper fingering positions and playing with a bow will develop a good sound and intonation also your teacher may go with you to try basses and advise on your intended purchases.
Plywood basses (or laminated as they like to call them) will stand up better on the road and when your slapping the hell out of it but are prone to warping over the years.Good luck I think, ideal with Tomanne aswell things are often cheaper ,delivery is good gauranteed for three years good after sales,
Regards Lenny

Hi Lenny, I've been told it will arrive on Wednesday so fingers crossed it all goes well. It's a Strunal 5/8 model (I think Thomann have one on their website too), and read good things about them. It came in under budget even with all the extras which is great! So far Gedo have been very helpful with info and hopefully that will continue when the bass arrives.

I'll be a new player, well kind of, I had an electric upright ( ned steinberger CR5M) a few years ago, had a few lessons to begin with which has helped me think about basics even now. I'm keen to start lessons again to get me up and running (as well as Geoffbassist's brilliant YouTube lessons:-) ) and so I think you have sound advice Lenny....I want to take it slowly and properly :-)
As sad as this sounds I've no real intent on taking it on the road as yet, it is purely for my selfish satisfaction! Which is why I was not worried about getting a carved one. I'll be looking after it :-)

Hi Chris,
Good news on your Bass,Your in a good spot for getting some lessons i'd try students from the Royal Northern,
and a book i can recomend is Double Bass Solo Book1 by keith Hartley,(Oxford university press) This has melodies from the orchestral reortoir and starts off nice and easy so your getting to play melodies form the off, along with the SIMANDL bass methods,
(These give you the technique on scales and exercises but i must confess i skipped a lot of thhese)
The Associated boards scales and arppeggios booklet is well worth getting its a fraction of the price of other books and gives you two types of fingering options.
And if anyone out there is strugling on Walking jazz bass lines, I can recomend "Jamey Abersold's Maiden voyage Volume 54 "
from the play along series together with the BASS suplement transcribed by Freddie Boden, you can see (and hear on the CD) how the Bass players modulating through the chord changes in an actual performance, when i was learning how to play walking bass i couldn't find books that covered this ,i would write bass lines out after working them out playing them on bass gtr and then have to learn to play what i'd put down on paper because i knew it was going to work

PS. Quick question for Lenny - as if he hasn't been helpful enough..
Is that Jamey Abersold book written in standard musical notation, or is it also in TAB
for those of us who don't read music...

Cheers again

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1425472224' post='2707640']
PS. Quick question for Lenny - as if he hasn't been helpful enough..
Is that Jamey Abersold book written in standard musical notation, or is it also in TAB
for those of us who don't read music...

Cheers again
[/quote]

If I may...

You can see a couple of pages here...

[url="http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/product/MVB#.VPcSU3xM49U"]Maiden Voyage...[/url]

No, there's no 'tab', but it's an excellent opportunity to have a crack at reading notes. It's easy as pie, albeit a tiny bit slow for the first few minutes (no slower than figuring out tab, though, imo...). It's not Rachmaninov. Take the plunge..?
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

It arrived safe and sound.....looks even better in the flesh than on the Gedo website. I'm really pleased with it, it came with the evah pirazzi strings on it plus adjustable bridge. I tuned up and it sounds great. I just need to learn how to play the thing now :-) it's a very different kettle of fish to the steinberger upright I had. I will probably take it to a luthier to see if the set up needs sorting out. The action is ok, could be a little high given that the adjustable bridge is in its lowest position and will only raise the action further. That's not a huge deal, and so it has been a massive success so far, and so another thank you to you all for giving me the confidence to finally buy it and the really helpful information.
Here are some pics

Edited by chrisgriff